Falcons projected to have $5.79 million in cap room for free agency

do you have a link for that number???

the salary cap is going up next year and we won't be responsible for vick's 8.5 million in base salary. that alone gives us more room under the salary cap than 5.79.

if Vick pays back his bonus, that gives us extra money to spend, but that doesn't affect the base salary that we will not have to pay. Because he is under NFL suspsension, his base salary does not count against our salary cap for as long as he is under the suspension.

Dr John Zoidberg (12/10/2007)
If we don't get the money back from Vick you can forget about upgrading the o-line through free agency.

The front office is going to have to work some magic in order to get in Petrino's type of players... unless they REALLLY want to play for Petrino and will come at a discount. Which I really doubt.

1st - salary cap is raising by 7 million dollars in the 2008 season

2nd - you are not taking into account and retirments, releases, opt outs, or salary cap beneficial trades... (Like players for draft picks)...

3rd - 5 mill is just flat out wrong

Not to mention we are 11mil under this year with our huge mess.. and once hurtwell and rossum and Webster get off our dead money list that will load off about 5 million dollars... plus like was stated before.. Vick's base salary will not count against the cap... and hopefully brooking will retire.. that would be a dream... would save 7 million.. doubt it will happen.. maybe we wont resign dunn that would save a ton of money.. either way were gonna have a lot of wiggle room.. not 5 mil

they even put this asterisks on the SI list....

* Not including unspecified potential rebate from contested return of Michael Vick's pro-rated signing bonus.

Petrino Is My Hero (12/10/2007)
If we don't get the money back from Vick you can forget about upgrading the o-line through free agency.

The front office is going to have to work some magic in order to get in Petrino's type of players... unless they REALLLY want to play for Petrino and will come at a discount. Which I really doubt.

1st - salary cap is raising by 7 million dollars in the 2008 season

2nd - you are not taking into account and retirments, releases, opt outs, or salary cap beneficial trades... (Like players for draft picks)...

3rd - 5 mill is just flat out wrong

Talk to Peter King. He's the one that came up with the number.

And that's why I said IF we don't get the money back from Vick.

Now imagine NOT getting the money back from Vick and THEN imagine how much we would have to pay a QB drafted in the top 5.

It's not a pretty picture is it?

birds_till_death (12/10/2007)
do you have a link for that number???

the salary cap is going up next year and we won't be responsible for vick's 8.5 million in base salary. that alone gives us more room under the salary cap than 5.79.

if Vick pays back his bonus, that gives us extra money to spend, but that doesn't affect the base salary that we will not have to pay. Because he is under NFL suspsension, his base salary does not count against our salary cap for as long as he is under the suspension.

Since he's still on our roster technically, we have to count his base salary towards our cap. Evey week he is on the "suspended" list, he misses a game check, and we can therefore add 1/16th of his base salary back into our cap room. Unless we cut him before the beginning of the season, we are on the hook for all of his base salary which will the trickle back to us week by week.

I would also argue with the original article's characterization of the Schaub trade as being bad. So far, it looks like we might well have gotten the better end of that deal - it's not like Schaub is setting the world on fire down in Houston...

Since he's still on our roster technically, we have to count his base salary towards our cap. Evey week he is on the "suspended" list, he misses a game check, and we can therefore add 1/16th of his base salary back into our cap room. Unless we cut him before the beginning of the season, we are on the hook for all of his base salary which will the trickle back to us week by week.

I would also argue with the original article's characterization of the Schaub trade as being bad. So far, it looks like we might well have gotten the better end of that deal - it's not like Schaub is setting the world on fire down in Houston...

after this season, we can however cut him with a post june 1 designation, meaning that the rest of his contract can be payed out over the next two years, as opposed to enduring the cap hit alone next season.

Also, if i'm not mistaken, i believe the arbitrators ruling stated that the falcons are not responsible to pay any bonus monies still owed to YKW under the current contract. so, we need to receive the money already payed to YKW to recieve the relief under the salary cap for that money.

This is why i'm still confused as to exactly how he affects our salary cap from this point on. if i am correct with the arbitrators ruling, then we can cut him at the end of the season and be free and clear of YKW, and still recieve salary cap release for each bit of the bonus monies that he returns to the orginizations.

birds_till_death (12/10/2007)

after this season, we can however cut him with a post june 1 designation, meaning that the rest of his contract can be payed out over the next two years, as opposed to enduring the cap hit alone next season.

Also, if i'm not mistaken, i believe the arbitrators ruling stated that the falcons are not responsible to pay any bonus monies still owed to YKW under the current contract. so, we need to receive the money already payed to YKW to recieve the relief under the salary cap for that money.

This is why i'm still confused as to exactly how he affects our salary cap from this point on. if i am correct with the arbitrators ruling, then we can cut him at the end of the season and be free and clear of YKW, and still recieve salary cap release for each bit of the bonus monies that he returns to the orginizations.

Once again.. if Goodell keeps Vick Suspended without pay as he was this year.. his Base salary will NOT count against our cap next year when we are trying to get that darn bonus money... AS LONG as he is suspended without pay... we will be off the hook for his base salary

Here is how this years salary cap looks

http://www.falcfans.com/features/2007cap.html

grendel (12/10/2007)

Once again.. if Goodell keeps Vick Suspended without pay as he was this year.. his Base salary will NOT count against our cap next year when we are trying to get that darn bonus money... AS LONG as he is suspended without pay... we will be off the hook for his base salary

But as someone else pointed out, those gamechecks will only go back on our cap week by week, so we won't be able to use that money to sign FA's this offseason.

Honestly.. noone knows how our salary cap situation is going to turn out.. because noone knows how the owners and goodell will deal with the Vick situation... it is a event that does not happen often.. if ever... so you never know what the NFL Owners as a whole and Roger Goodell will do to right the wrong Vick has done to the Falcons... there is no definite answer to this problem right now... we can speculate all we want on whats going to happen to it.. but until it happens.. we wont know for sure

grendel (12/10/2007)

But as someone else pointed out, those gamechecks will only go back on our cap week by week, so we won't be able to use that money to sign FA's this offseason.

Honestly.. noone knows how our salary cap situation is going to turn out.. because noone knows how the owners and goodell will deal with the Vick situation... it is a event that does not happen often.. if ever... so you never know what the NFL Owners as a whole and Roger Goodell will do to right the wrong Vick has done to the Falcons... there is no definite answer to this problem right now... we can speculate all we want on whats going to happen to it.. but until it happens.. we wont know for sure

You think the League/Owners are gonna give a rat's azz about how YKW wronged the Falcons? I think they're gonna say it was our fault, we shoulda known what the face of our franchise was really all about (which I kinda agree...AB and McKay should have known what he was doing). Not flamin ya, I hope you're right, but something tells me otherwise.

jdc1963 (12/10/2007)
grendel (12/10/2007)

You think the League/Owners are gonna give a rat's azz about how YKW wronged the Falcons? I think they're gonna say it was our fault, we shoulda known what the face of our franchise was really all about (which I kinda agree...AB and McKay should have known what he was doing). Not flamin ya, I hope you're right, but something tells me otherwise.

heh ya.. he wasn't just the face of the franchise.. he was the face of the NFL... you cannot blame AB and Mckay for Vicks anticts in his private life that he made a point to keep private.. not even the players knew about it... i am so **** tired of people placing blame on other people... We have NO idea how much clout Arthur Blank has among the Owners and Goodell.. we also have no idea if Goodell wants to get rid of any memory of Vick and take a complete split... WE HAVE NO IDEA.. like i have said before.. NOONNNNEEEE knows how this is going to go down...

jdc1963 (12/10/2007)
grendel (12/10/2007)

I don't think the owners are going to cut us ANY slack. "It was YOUR idea to sign him to that huge extension. Not ours."

The Broncos and Redskins had players MURDERED.

We had a guy commit a federal felony and was the "mastermind" behind an illegal dog-fighting ring. He did it. He admitted it.

I doubt we get any slack.

jdc1963 (12/10/2007)
grendel (12/10/2007)

I don't think the owners are going to cut us ANY slack. "It was YOUR idea to sign him to that huge extension. Not ours."

We had a guy commit a federal felony and was the "mastermind" behind an illegal dog-fighting ring. He did it. He admitted it.

I refer you to my comment right before your post...

NOOOOOOONNNNNEEEEE KNows how this is going to go down... this is a situation that has never happened... and comparing this to murders is just horrendous... dont even go there... this has nothing to do with comparing this to someones life... a persons life like Sean Taylor is way more valuable then anything that has happened with Vick.. and it shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath... These situations are handled differently and should be handled differently

I refer you to my comment right before your post...

NOOOOOOONNNNNEEEEE KNows how this is going to go down... this is a situation that has never happened... and comparing this to murders is just horrendous... dont even go there... this has nothing to do with comparing this to someones life... a persons life like Sean Taylor is way more valuable then anything that has happened with Vick..

True. No one knows.

What I was doing was saying that what has happened here DOES NOT COMPARE to what has happened with the Redskins and Broncos.

I don't think they're getting cap relief. If they don't then why should we.

That's where I was going.

Dr John Zoidberg (12/10/2007

Are you sure about the dead players?

I've never heard of a player being dead that had to be cut.

Also, as you point out out - "He did it. He admitted it" The Falcons have comitted no crime, so why should they be punished?

NOOOOOOONNNNNEEEEE KNows how this is going to go down... this is a situation that has never happened... and comparing this to murders is just horrendous... dont even go there... this has nothing to do with comparing this to someones life... a persons life like Sean Taylor is way more valuable then anything that has happened with Vick.. and it shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath... These situations are handled differently and should be handled differently

Dont pretend to know who is more "important." Can you tell me whats in a soul or can you tell who god would favor?Please.....Oh yeah,Peter King is washed up.Im not sure he ever had a clue other than the 49ers rule in the 1980s.He is such a joke he picks games in competition against a model now.Wow a blonde bed thrasher just gave better picks than SIs old guy.