Could you believe these guys could have been Falcons?

heretic

marxbros (12/10/2007)
What about our back up the whole time Schaub.

the guy could have been our best bet but, in normal Falcon flavor we toss him out just like that other QB in Green Bay. What was his name?

Um, yeah, go ask some Texans' fans if they would like to have their two #2 picks back and Sage Rosenfels starting for them these days.....

thesouphead (12/10/2007)
GEORGIAfan (12/10/2007)
i still dont see why we got vick instead of Tomlinson. we had just lost Jamal anderson for good, and chris could have handled another season or 2. we needed a RB to replace jamal.

Jamal got hurt in 2001.......that would be after the draft in question. Reeves has even said that even if we didn't pick Vick, we were not going to take a running back, we were going to go with a lineman.

We would have taken Kenyatta Walker

Yeah , I wanted Okoye over Anderson and still have my last mock to prove it, And I also wanted ILB Antwan Barnes over Millner which will end up being even more of a bad call. Barnes had 2 sacks last monday night. Like I said before the Draft , he is a sack machine.

Last and most I'd like to forget , I had the LT debotchal in my sig for the last 7 years .:crazy:

Draftnut57 (12/10/2007)
Yeah , I wanted Okoye over Anderson and still have my last mock to prove it, And I also wanted ILB Antwan Barnes over Millner which will end up being even more of a bad call. Barnes had 2 sacks last monday night. Like I said before the Draft , he is a sack machine.

Last and most I'd like to forget , I had the LT debotchal in my sig for the last 7 years .:crazy:

You say that like we were going to take LT at #5..

Don Solo (12/10/2007)
lostone (12/10/2007)
oh yeah ... tomlinson would suck behind this line....

Vick was not a bad pick.. when was the last time LT went to the AFC championship game?

Give me a break....when was the last time LT went to PRISON????

What the **** does prison have to do with football. Vick took the falcons to 2 nfc championship games. And he beat green bay in lambeu in the playoffs(only team to ever do that). Despite how you may feel about vick numbers dont lie, and i tdont think the falcons could have done that with LT

What the **** does prison have to do with football. Vick took the falcons to 2 nfc championship games. And he beat green bay in lambeu in the playoffs(only team to ever do that). Despite how you may feel about vick numbers dont lie, and i tdont think the falcons could have done that with LT

I am not saying that the Falcons would have done that with LT, nor am I saying that the Falcons would have even drafted LT had they kept their pick in that draft. However, considering we are working with hindsight here, I would gladly trade the Falcons last six years for the Chargers last six years knowing what I know today, especially with what the Falcons' immediate future looks like compared to San Diego's. Vick's inexplicable stupidity has set this franchise back tremendously, and no numbers whatsoever can deny that fact.

In my opinion, the only number that really matters is SB wins, and the last I checked, neither the Falcons nor the Chargers have made it to or won a Super Bowl in the last six years. All I am saying is that the Chargers are in much better shape than the Falcons, and that is also a point that cannot be denied.

Don Solo (12/10/2007)

I am not saying that the Falcons would have done that with LT, nor am I saying that the Falcons would have even drafted LT had they kept their pick in that draft. However, considering we are working with hindsight here, I would gladly trade the Falcons last six years for the Chargers last six years knowing what I know today, especially with what the Falcons' immediate future looks like compared to San Diego's. Vick's inexplicable stupidity has set this franchise back tremendously, and no numbers whatsoever can deny that fact.

In my opinion, the only number that really matters is SB wins, and the last I checked, neither the Falcons nor the Chargers have made it to or won a Super Bowl in the last six years. All I am saying is that the Chargers are in much better shape than the Falcons, and that is also a point that cannot be denied.

Their front office is competent, ours is not. Although, I did question AJ Smiths choice of a head coach, because Norv Turner stinks.

The old "Hindsight Is 20/20" game. This is a game that every franchise (especially the losing noes) play. I'll throw in a better year...

1988 The Falcons select Aundray Bruce with the 1st pick ... here is a list of potential players to choose from that were picked in the 1st round afterwards:

Neil Smith

Tim Brown

Sterling Sharpe

Michael Irvin

In the 2nd round the Falcons selected Marcus Cotton, here are some names that went afterwards in that round:

Thurman Thomas

Ken Norton Jr.

ATLBrave (12/10/2007)
Draftnut57 (12/10/2007)

You say that like we were going to take LT at #5..

No , I said it like we should have ! :ermm:

thesouphead (12/10/2007)
Draftnut57 (12/10/2007)

the last 7 years in which the Charges have not won a single playoff game? Those seven years?

OK , I guess your going to blame their losing ways on LT , just like people blame Harrington here instead of the real reason , Vick. You'll figure it out some day , It comes with age.

Draftnut57 (12/10/2007)

OK , I guess your going to blame their losing ways on LT , just like people blame Harrington here instead of the real reason , Vick. You'll figure it out some day , It comes with age.

nope.....wasn't blaming the losses on anybody.....what my point was that even with LT being the TD machine he has been, they have yet to win a playoff game. That leads me to believe that the Falcons probably would not have either....esp with our franchise's history.

And I am not sure what you are getting to with the it's not Harrington, it's Vick line......we won most of our games with Vick and have lost most of our games with Harrington.

heretic (12/10/2007)
We were near to some of the greatest player of the league.

We could have picked them.

We just picked the wrong guys.

I guess this is what makes the difference between a GREAt FO and a mediocre FO....or maybe between good luck and bad luck....

Some examples:

2001 Falcons round 1 #1 sel: Michael Vick Qb

2001 chargers round 1 #5 sel: Tomlinson Rb.....

2002 Falcons round 1 #18 sel: Duckett Rb

2002 Ravens round 1 #24 sel: Ed Reed SS (we had to draft a SS in round 2 of the 2003 draft, Bryan Scott...)

2003 Falcons round 2 #55 sel: Bryan Scott SS

2003 Giants round 2 #56 sel: Osi Umenyiora DE

2003 Colts round 2 #58 sel: Mike Doss SS

Nothing against the 2004 and 2005 pick (DHall and White)

2006 Falcons round 2 #37 sel: Jimmy Williams CB

2006 Bears round 2 #57 sel: Devin Hester CB

2006 Jaguars round 2 #60 sel: Maurice Jones Drew Rb

2007 Vikings round 1 #7 sel: Adrian Peterson Rb(ok ok we couldn't draft him, but we could have traded up.....)

2007 Falcons round 1 #8 sel: I can't remember his name....DE

2007 Texans round 1 #10 sel: Okoye DT

The right choices in the draft days will bring you to the playoffs

The wrong choices in the draft days will buy a ticket for multiple losing seasons....

If I spent this much time thinking back on what I could have, or should have done in my life, I never would have gotten ANYTHING done.......Really, you need to get over it. As someone else stated, the Falcons were not the ONLY teams to pass on these players as well.

Draftnut57 (12/10/2007)

So Vick is to blame for this teams 3-9 record? I guess you're right. It's his fault McKay assembled such a horrible team, and it's his fault he isn't here to make them look better then they are. **** him for exposing this team as a horrid group of "players" by not being here to cover up all the flaws and take the blame for everyone else!

And for the record, we'd never have drafted LT. He was a Charger no matter what.

Hindsight is 20/20.

We didn't need an RB at the time when we drafted Vick and Reeves said he wasn't going after a RB anyways.

30 other teams missed on those players to.

Anyone who blame Vick for Roddy White's lack of success is about as clueless as you can get. Anyone who says his spin or speed on the ball is the reason an NFL WR cannot catch a ball needs to just asinine. Anyone who blames Vick on our current situation is about as blind as can be. It would be no different if Vick had an injury in the off-season or pre-season. We are what we are do to our last coaching staff, and that is all there is to it.

No team in the NFL gets a play maker in every draft and not all of their draft picks make the roster. It takes time to build a team to become a consistant winner. The reason why we sucked so bad over the years is do to poor drafts, inconsistant coaching philosophies, and the quick-fix attitude.

snicker (12/10/2007)
GEORGIAfan (12/10/2007)
i still dont see why we got vick instead of Tomlinson. we had just lost Jamal anderson for good, and chris could have handled another season or 2. we needed a RB to replace jamal.

How about because you are completely wrong? Vick was drafted in April 2001 and Jamal Anderson injured his knee in October 2001. Therefore when Vick was drafted, Jamal Anderson was two years removed from his knee injury in 1999 and was thought to be healthy and ready to go in 2001.

Not to mention we did NOT get Vick "instead of" Tomlinson. This has got to be the biggest myth in football history. Reeves has said that he was NOT going to take Tomlinson with the no. 5 pick. Why? No telling, but if he was not going to pick him, there is NO WAY we got "Vick instead of Tomlinson." We got Vick instead of whoever the **** Dan Reeves wanted that year if he couldn't have Vick.