Could you believe these guys could have been Falcons?

heretic

We were near to some of the greatest player of the league.

We could have picked them.

We just picked the wrong guys.

I guess this is what makes the difference between a GREAt FO and a mediocre FO....or maybe between good luck and bad luck....

Some examples:

2001 Falcons round 1 #1 sel: Michael Vick Qb

2001 chargers round 1 #5 sel: Tomlinson Rb.....

2002 Falcons round 1 #18 sel: Duckett Rb

2002 Ravens round 1 #24 sel: Ed Reed SS (we had to draft a SS in round 2 of the 2003 draft, Bryan Scott...)

2003 Falcons round 2 #55 sel: Bryan Scott SS

2003 Giants round 2 #56 sel: Osi Umenyiora DE

2003 Colts round 2 #58 sel: Mike Doss SS

Nothing against the 2004 and 2005 pick (DHall and White)

2006 Falcons round 2 #37 sel: Jimmy Williams CB

2006 Bears round 2 #57 sel: Devin Hester CB

2006 Jaguars round 2 #60 sel: Maurice Jones Drew Rb

2007 Vikings round 1 #7 sel: Adrian Peterson Rb(ok ok we couldn't draft him, but we could have traded up.....)

2007 Falcons round 1 #8 sel: I can't remember his name....DE

2007 Texans round 1 #10 sel: Okoye DT

The right choices in the draft days will bring you to the playoffs

The wrong choices in the draft days will buy a ticket for multiple losing seasons....

drk_nte (12/10/2007)
GEORGIAfan (12/10/2007)
i still dont see why we got vick instead of Tomlinson. we had just lost Jamal anderson for good, and chris could have handled another season or 2. we needed a RB to replace jamal.

And that's what we got, the most prolific RB/QB in NFL history.:D

im not even angry, because thats how reeves sealed his fate. IF he got a RB, and a QB, and not a combo. he wouldnt have had such a bad season, also have a good backup. AND be a team player.

he wanted to run everything, BUT he sucked at drafting. Mckay is good at late round picks, but sucks with 1st round picks. Mckay is also known for over paying FAs.

i wouldnt mind Petrino doing everything, because unlike reeves he has exp. College coaches have to recruit thier own talent, AND Coach all year long. He can scout talent, because he went to a Basketball school, and had to really look to find players perfect for the system. and Kentucky is not known for thier instate talent.

heretic (12/10/2007)

2001 Falcons round 1 #1 sel: Michael Vick Qb

2001 chargers round 1 #5 sel: Tomlinson Rb.....

and? Even with some quailty QBs, Tomlinson as yet to get a playoff win.......we had 2 with our pick and we played for the conference title. Maybe one day, modern Charger fans will know what that's like?.......but maybe not?

GEORGIAfan (12/10/2007)
i still dont see why we got vick instead of Tomlinson. we had just lost Jamal anderson for good, and chris could have handled another season or 2. we needed a RB to replace jamal.

How about because you are completely wrong? Vick was drafted in April 2001 and Jamal Anderson injured his knee in October 2001. Therefore when Vick was drafted, Jamal Anderson was two years removed from his knee injury in 1999 and was thought to be healthy and ready to go in 2001.

GEORGIAfan (12/10/2007)

Jamal got hurt in 2001.......that would be after the draft in question. Reeves has even said that even if we didn't pick Vick, we were not going to take a running back, we were going to go with a lineman.

heretic (12/10/2007)
Without major injuries they will fly to honolulu 2 or 3 times over the next 5 seasons.

;)

Can you say the same thing about anderson?

can't say he will or will not.........if you had asked about Roddy White a couple seasons ago, you would think he was a bust.....now he is starting to play at a pro-bowl level.

Petrino Is My Hero (12/10/2007)
yawn.. you guys dont give up do you... amazing... falcons weren't the only teams to pass on those players.. and umenyiora = over rated anyways.. that really is not an impressive list except Reed and Tomlinson.. all these people live on the Should of... Could of .. Would of.... GET OVER IT...

Thank you. If your mom had gonads she would be your dad!!! GET OVER IT!

thesouphead (12/10/2007)
heretic (12/10/2007)
Without major injuries they will fly to honolulu 2 or 3 times over the next 5 seasons.

;)

can't say he will or will not.........if you had asked about Roddy White a couple seasons ago, you would think he was a bust.....now he is starting to play at a pro-bowl level.

I would have said he was a good receiver playing in the wrong team, with the wrong passer, with the wrong coach

No...

...wait a minute....

i said it....

Is there a purpose to this thread? With most of these players, we obviously weren't the only team to miss out on them. Every team in the league has made mistakes drafting, and we're no exception. Everyone praises teams like Dallas and New England for finding "gems" like Romo and Brady, but conveniently forgets that they had 4 or 5 chances to draft them earlier, and didn't. If they really did know something that everyone else didn't, wouldn't they have drafted them much higher?

heretic (12/10/2007)
thesouphead (12/10/2007)
heretic (12/10/2007)

;)

I would have said he was a good receiver playing in the wrong team, with the wrong passer, with the wrong coach

No...

...wait a minute....

i said it....

sure.........wow...you are simply a future man....you see the future through your future balls when you smoke your future pipe.