Mock Draft vFL

ATLBrave

One trade, bringing us back into the 1st around 24-26. Send early 2nd this year, 2nd next year (around 800 points in total).

1st Round:

Brian Brohm, QB(UL): Most NFL ready QB prospect in the draft. Compares favorably to Peyton Manning. Not the greatest athlete, but has high football IQ, good arm, great pocket presence/average mobility. May be slight reach, but solidifies the QB position with a very capable player.

Ryan Clady, OT(BSU): My 3rd rated OT in the draft (behind Long and Baker), and will likely be available in the 24-26 range. A technical lineman, who excels in pass blocking.

2nd Round:

Jordan Grimes, OG(UP): Mauler at the guard position, who dominates the LOS. Will easily replace a struggling Kynan Forney (who could be traded himself this offseason). Could make the case for another OT here, but Clabo, Weiner, or Foster should hold that spot next season.

3rd Round:

Kentwaan Balmer, DT(UNC): Excellent DT, who has increased his game under Butch Davis' tutelage. Backup to Coleman (if not cut), and replacement the following year. Excellent quickness off the line, and can shed blockers very well.

4th Round:

Jehuu Caulcrick, RB(MSU): Big, bruising back from Michigan State. Compares to Marion Barber III with his style of play. Quick, strong, and does not shy away from a hit.

Eddie Royal, WR/KR(VT): Blazing speed at the KR position, and will be an instant upgrade over the slower Jennings.

5th Round:

Ben Moffitt, ILB(USF): Took his fellow Bull teammate Nicholas last year. Has great instincts on the field, and helped lead USF to a top defense this year. Another great steal for McKay at LB in the draft.

6th Round:

Art Carmody, K(UL): The all-time leading scorer in College football. Extremely accurate and does not fold under pressure. Only drawback is the somewhat lack of leg strength. (Other possibility in Garret Hartley, OU)

7th Round:

Drawing blanks here:(

Well I really like your picks. However, I'm not sure that Clady will be available in the 24-26 range. I think after the combine, interviews, etc. he will leap into the top 10-12 range, just my opinion though. As far as Balmer goes, I think he is an early 2nd rounder. After Dorsey and Ellis, I think a team would be quick to snatch him up before the 3rd, again just my opinion though. I like Grimes, and if we were able to grab he and Clady, our OL would instantly be better. I like the Carmody pick.

Even though it's not an "original" pick, Brian Brohm makes the most sense for this team. I really hope we are able to get him. I think he will be very, very good, especially in Petrino's offense.

Overall you did a good job. As I mentioned, a couple of your picks may go early than you have them going, but no one knows for sure.

scott24falcs (12/9/2007)
Well I really like your picks. However, I'm not sure that Clady will be available in the 24-26 range. I think after the combine, interviews, etc. he will leap into the top 10-12 range, just my opinion though. As far as Balmer goes, I think he is an early 2nd rounder. After Dorsey and Ellis, I think a team would be quick to snatch him up before the 3rd, again just my opinion though. I like Grimes, and if we were able to grab he and Clady, our OL would instantly be better. I like the Carmody pick.

Even though it's not an "original" pick, Brian Brohm makes the most sense for this team. I really hope we are able to get him. I think he will be very, very good, especially in Petrino's offense.

Overall you did a good job. As I mentioned, a couple of your picks may go early than you have them going, but no one knows for sure.

Yeah, I could easily see the Balmer and Grimes picks being flip-flopped come draft time. Kentwaan is rising up the draft boards, but I just think teams will still put players like Dre Moore and Red Bryant ahead of him. As for Clady, he may very well go in that range (10-12). I just think one of Clady or Baker will drop to the late 1st.

If we could get those players at those positions it would be ideal. I don't know much about some of those players, but your descriptions (and positions) certainly fit the bill as to what we need. I'm very pro-drafting Brohm, if we can trade down a couple of places for him.