What a win against the Saints means as far as our draft pick goes

67camaro

Phins magic number down to one& Miami moved inexorably closer to wrapping up the top pick at the 2008 draft, losing 38-17 to Buffalo. Indeed, one more loss and the still winless Dolphins clinch the #1 pick this coming April. There is still plenty of sorting out to do among the remaining high picks at this year s draft. And some of that sorting out takes place at tonight s Monday nighter as Atlanta, which hosts New Orleans, is one of four teams stuck at three wins. Whatever happens tonight, New England would have the second pick overall if the draft were held today with a selection acquired from San Francisco at the 2007 draft, while St. Louis would have the third pick. An Atlanta loss to New Orleans and the Falcons would have the 4th pick, with the Jets sitting on the 5th pick. If the Falcons upset the Saints, though, the Jets move up to #4, with Atlanta slipping into a flip situation for the 5-6-7 picks with Oakland and Kansas City. We ll have the full, updated first-round selection order for the 2008 draft were it held today after tonight s game.

honestly, i prefer not being in the top 3 or 4. its easier to trade down, and i think that is just what we should do, and probably what i WILL do in my new mock draft this week. just better value that way.

id be fine at #4 i think, but at 5-7 id be perfectly happy. the trade down options are much more realistic, and at #7 id definately be fine picking ryan clady. well see how it falls this week, but i expect to make a move down a few slots to get better value for clady, and add another 2nd rounder.

1989fan (12/10/2007)
Honestly I would still 100% rather win out the season, end up 7-9 and pick in the 7-11 range. It gives the team momentum, which will help them buy into Petrino. It saves us a TON of cap space picking 5 spots later or so as well.

Yah, and then there would be no whining and crying by certain folks around here when Petrino picks Brohm with the 7-11 pick. Well, maybe the no whining is just wishful thinking.:w00t:

although, if we win out it hurts our draft options as to what top atheletes are available, it opens up much more options and gives us better salary cap values.

1. like stated earlier, it helps us finish with momentum and leaves our players buying into the system and feeling better about the direction the team is going into this off-season.

2. shows that redman is capable of winning games with this team, even though we are on a patchwork o-line, that wasn't that great before all of the injuries decided to kick in. this helps our team with confidence and shows that redman will be able to show us more about what this offense is supposed to look like. (more benefit for the fans and petrino critics jsut being able to see what this offensive design is actually capable of).

3. means that if brohm is not available at our pick, we are not obligated to attempt to trade up for him or reach for a QB that doesn't fit our system. We have a serviceable QB that will help us be competitive next season allowing us to fill other holes in the draft. (assuming redman wins out and plays like he did in the 4th vs the rams) it would give us the oppurtunity to draft a project qb, and/or allow whatever qb we do draft to have a year on the bench to learn the NFL.

4. on a side note, i know everyone is big on the fact that brohm knows petrino and petrino's system. but don't forget redman knows petrino and petrino's offense extremley well also. i'm not saying he is the long-term answer, but i do believe he will be a great stop-gap allowing us more time and options to figure out who our franchise qb will be. of course, this will be determined tonight against NO, and we will know if sunday was a fluke.

1989fan (12/10/2007)
Honestly I would still 100% rather win out the season, end up 7-9 and pick in the 7-11 range. It gives the team momentum, which will help them buy into Petrino. It saves us a TON of cap space picking 5 spots later or so as well.

Well said!!!! I second that opinion!!!!!!!!

67camaro (12/10/2007)
Well I want the highest draft pick we can get, but not for the 1st round pick, but for the 2-7 rounds. Having the higher top picks in each rounds is better than middle of each round.

Bingo

Getting a high pick doesn't just help you get talent in the 1st round but in the following rounds as well.

Who knows how much talent we could miss out on if we ran the table.

A win vs the Saints tonight?

Say goodbye to McFadden and Jake Long

busboyisback (12/10/2007)
67camaro (12/10/2007)
Well I want the highest draft pick we can get, but not for the 1st round pick, but for the 2-7 rounds. Having the higher top picks in each rounds is better than middle of each round.

Bingo

Getting a high pick doesn't just help you get talent in the 1st round but in the following rounds as well.

Who knows how much talent we could miss out on if we ran the table.

A win vs the Saints tonight?

Say goodbye to McFadden and Jake Long

oh im getting all teary-eyed... well just have to settle for ryan clady, brian brohm, james lauranaitis, sedrick ellis or maybe even andre woodson!

what a travesty a WIN during the regular season would be...