A chip off Dale's block

Brookhaven

Former Atl Brave player's son could be draft by the Falcons

A chip off Dale's block

"While he won't be patrolling center field for the Braves, hitting a ton of home runs and winning multiple MVP awards as his father Dale once did, Shawn Murphy has definitely shown he can play professional sports with his performance as a college football star this season.

Shawn, a guard from Utah State, does share at least one on-field trait with his father -- a relentless competitive spirit. That's been channeled into the younger Murphy's aggressive style that has helped him become a physically dominant blocker once he gets his hands on defensive linemen. Murphy is also athletic for this position, while still having the strength to control his assignments and consistently eliminate them from plays.

Murphy is unlikely to be a Day 1 pick, but don't be surprised if he goes early on Day 2, in the third round. He could be classified as a "sleeper", but being Dale's son has Shawn already put on too many teams' radars to the point where he is just a solid middle-round prospect."

6-5, 315 Played both tackle & guard.

That's pretty cool. I went to the Utah State website and read up on Murphy. Could be a great 2nd day sleeper pick. Love his size and athleticism. If he has even half of his old man's drive and talent he would be worth looking at.

Robb4242 (12/10/2007)
Brookhaven (12/9/2007)
Former Atl Brave player's son could be draft by the Falcons

A chip off Dale's block

Murphy is unlikely to be a Day 1 pick, but don't be surprised if he goes early on Day 2, in the third round.

Early on day 2 in the 3rd round? Did they change the draft format?

Yeah, the 1st day now consists of only the 1st and 2nd rounds. Also, the 10 minutes per team has been cut to 7 minutes for the first round, if I'm not mistaking.

Early on day 2 in the 3rd round? Did they change the draft format?

yeah, they shortened the draft time for the first round to 10 minutes instead of 15, and i believe they also shortened the time for the other rounds, but i'm not sure exactly how much.

they also, decided to only have the first two rounds on day one, and the rest on day two.