So Patrick Kearney had another 3 sack day

Hench

Yeah who needs a whiney baby like Kerney who followed Mora up to Washington. Petrino wants impact players like Jamaal Anderson. He also showed that he did not favor Omobi Okoye who went to the Texans just because he played for Louisville and is doing great for the Texans.

I will say Petrino is smarter then Cam Cameron.

bloodhoundz864 (12/9/2007)
And if Kerney was still here we'd still have the same record most likely considering he isn't an offensive linemen and he's not a quarterback.

Are you sure?!?!?!

I hope he sets an NFL record for sacks this season. The better he does, the higher the pick we get in the upcoming draft.

And if Kerney was still here we'd still have the same record most likely considering he isn't an offensive linemen and he's not a quarterback.

A sack can greatly change momentum or help stop drives. With Kerney and Abraham rushing the passer I have no doubt in my mind that the Falcons defense would be nasty. It would greatly help pass defense because of pressure and those two could hold up against the run just fine. The Falcons have lost a lot of close games in which a turnover forced by pressure from the Dline could have one those. However you are right in saying that our offense would still be bad.

I'm not gonna give up on Jamal yet...but how much did we pay him compared to what we would've payed kerney?

Hopefully Jamal starting will help him next year. I know it sucks that he's not making plays, but remember he hasn't played DE that long. Although I will say that Kerney, Okoye, and Abraham would be a crazy D-line.

jamesmasen (12/10/2007)
The story of Kerney this year has been my favorite atlanta topic..

Jamaal Annderson just seems soft when they interview him

Kerney makes me laugh at our season because we got screwed.

Why is everyone whining so much... you sound just like Kerney... the dude wanted a ton of money and a long term deal... as a rookie Kerney did NOTHING as well... no great DE has done anything great their rookie year... they need time to develop... to give Kerney a HIGH priced LONG term deal would of been ******** at his age... as time goes on and he breaks down.. you will see why we did not give him a long term deal...

Everyone judging Anderson based solely on his sacks are freaking hillarious... HE IS A ROOKIE... He will develop his pass rushing skills.. once he does.. we will have a duel threat as a run stuffer and pass rusher... so stop your whining you crazy people

Patrick Kerney only had 2.5 sacks as a rookie, and was a senior when he came out. Jamaal was an underclassman who started college as a WR. Jamaal may end up developing into a very nice player and it looks like letting Kerney go will net the Falcons a 3rd round pick in the upcoming draft. It's not like keeping Kerney would have made the Falcons competitive for anything this year. I still think the Falcons did the right thing.

falcons5628 (12/10/2007)

A sack can greatly change momentum or help stop drives. With Kerney and Abraham rushing the passer I have no doubt in my mind that the Falcons defense would be nasty. It would greatly help pass defense because of pressure and those two could hold up against the run just fine. The Falcons have lost a lot of close games in which a turnover forced by pressure from the Dline could have one those. However you are right in saying that our offense would still be bad.

Basically.....

I mean, how many sacks does it take to score 30 points in one game, because I have yet to remember us having a points total over 30 in a single game yet this season...

Thus, reiterating that Kerney's presence on this team would've gotten us nothing but an even lower salary cap...

cwell1 (12/9/2007)
lets compare him to Anderson when he gets that far in his career.:rolleyes:

Yeah, but still...we let one of the best DE's in the league get away and now we have a sackless rookie at the position. Maybe when Jamaal is Kerney's age, he'll be just as good, but right now he's not, so I'd much rather have Kerney here still.

Kerney voided the last two years of his contract and went to the highest bidder. The FO really had no choice. I think this has been Kerneys best season, it would have been nice if he had done it in all the years he was in Atlanta.

But at least he is making sure we get a 3rd round pick for him!!

Is it possible to get a second??? I'm really not sure.

falconva7 (12/10/2007)
I was actually FOR getting younger at the position, but I had no idea Kerney planned on playing like he was younger this season... Hindsight is always 20/20 right? A lot of people were ok with letting Kerney go in the offseason.

Very true.

Looking at his record, he had one great season every 3 years.

If you are looking at purely Kerney vs Jamaal, Jamaal needs 5 sacks by the end of next season to be on par with Patrick. It would be stupid to match this season for both of them (but people will do it!!).

heretic (12/10/2007)
John Abraham rookie year:

6 games (0 started): 4.5 sacks

Jamaal Anderson rookie year:

12 games (12 started): 0 sacks

WWWAHHHHHHHH... lets cry some more about a rookie who has had a solid season... and showed promise.. stop getting stuck on the freaking sack statistic his rookie year.. i swear.. sometimes falcon fans really astonish me with their knowledge.. or lack there of...