brohm slips to round 2?

f1ver

f1ver (12/8/2007)
he's the 4th or 5th rated QB's in the draft... why use a 1st on him? i don't mind getting him late if he's petrino's boy, but i wouldn't want to spend a 1st round on him...

while I happen to think he is very overrated, Carter said something that I definitely agreed with earlier. No matter who is ranked where, Brohm is the super safe pick. Safe picks usually turn out really good or really awful, theres never really a just ok with safe picks in my eyes.

As far as teams that will be looking for a QB in the first couple rounds you got to think-

Miami

Baltimore

Chicago

Carolina

Minnesota

Atlanta

Tampa

Brohm or Woodson will be the first QB's picked most likely.

jidady (12/9/2007)
A lot of teams are going to want a quarterback who has a college career yards per attempt average of 9.1. We're all blindly speculating at the moment, but I think it's as likely that Brian Brohm goes in the top 3 as it is that he falls out of the top 25.

Agreed. I've been saying it for a while now that although none of the "Big 3" currently warrant a top 5 pick, by April, I fully believe that one of these guys will separate himself from the pack considerably, and be worthy of a top 3-5 pick. Not sure who exactly it will be, but if I had to guess, I would say Brohm would be that guy.

What most people would call right now an absolutely absurd factor is how they all play in their bowl games. Brady Quinn was an easy top 10 pick and ended up slipping because he had a rough bowl, against a superior opponent with little help coming from his teammates. No consideration for his time spent in an NFL-type system or his elite physical qualities, he fell past several teams that needed a quarterback and he was just an unpopular pick that ended his career on a bad note. Meanwhile, Russell had a solid career but always had the reputation of an underachiever, as did his team after Miles's first season there. But, he had an outstanding bowl, worked out well, and suddenly got picked before the consensus top player in the draft. Foolish as it may seem, GM's have to stay popular, and that includes making the right pick, even if that means taking the popular guy or avoiding the unpopular guy.

grendel (12/9/2007)

This post makes no sense. He's a safe pick because he's the safest bet to become a quality starter. Woodson and Ryan may (or may not) have higher ceilings (more potential) than Brohm, but Brohm has the highest floor (best worst-case scenario) of any QB in this draft.

again this is all opinion

imo Woodson is the top prospect with Dixon 2nd & Brohm 3rd..

no college QB is a safe bet

no one knows who has the highest ceiling, its all speculation until the player is in the league for a couple yrs.

if we can manage to move back later into the top 10, or top 12, then that is where id take brohm. if we went another direction with clady perhaps, i could live with it, but with the glut of good OTs that will be available in the 2nd round, i dont see why we wouldnt snag 2 of those guys with our 2nd rounders, and that is discluding anything we get for a trade down.

id like to see us win this week so we can get to #5 or so, it makes it much easier to trade down from there.

vickfalcons23 (12/8/2007)
f1ver (12/8/2007)
he's the 4th or 5th rated QB's in the draft... why use a 1st on him? i don't mind getting him late if he's petrino's boy, but i wouldn't want to spend a 1st round on him...

while I happen to think he is very overrated, Carter said something that I definitely agreed with earlier. No matter who is ranked where, Brohm is the super safe pick. Safe picks usually turn out really good or really awful, theres never really a just ok with safe picks in my eyes.

As far as teams that will be looking for a QB in the first couple rounds you got to think-

Miami

Baltimore

Chicago

Carolina

Minnesota

Atlanta

Tampa

It's too early to say which QB is the #1 rated or #5 rated because their performances in the bowl games, senior bowl, and combine will all play a huge part in determining where teams will put these guys on their draft boards.

But I do think that there will be a good QB prospect available in Round 2, and so we don't have to take a QB in round 1, or even trade up into the back half of round 1 to draft a QB.

Miami - drafted Beck in round 2. if they don't want him to start next year, I think they'll go for a QB in free agency instead of back to the draft this year.

Baltimore - will probably go for a QB in Round 1, although they may also think about a CB, given the injuries to their secondary this year, and their team being built around defense

Chicago - will probably draft QB in round 1. I'd be really surprised if they did not

Carolina - Delhomme makes Steve Smith a pro-bowl receiver. I think they will keep the job open for Delhomme and not draft a QB in round 1. They may draft a QB in round 2 though

Minnesota - Over his last 4 games, Tarvaris Jackson has completed 61 out of 83 passes with 4 TDs and 2 Ints. I don't think the Vikes will give up on him just yet.

Atlanta - we need a QB, we need o-line, we need MLB, we need a lot of things

Tampa - Gruden loves QBs but i would be very surprised if he drafted one in round 1

Any other teams? Maybe the Chiefs but I think Brodie Croyle will get a chance to be the starter next year without Huard in the picture. Maybe Green Bay, but Rodgers showed some good stuff when Favre went down against Dallas.

My best guess right now is that Baltimore, Chicago and Atlanta have the biggest need at QB. But Atlanta's top 5 pick will be way too high to use on these QBs, so we will probably wait until round 2. If Baltimore and Chicago take Brohm and Woodson, we'll still have Matt Ryan or Colt Brennan to choose from.

I'm hoping that we draft Brennan in round 2. I was highly skeptical before, but the more I have watched him play, he seems like he can make all the throws, has good mobility, and definitely has the quickest release.

vickfalcons23 (12/8/2007)
f1ver (12/8/2007)

Miami

Baltimore

Chicago

Carolina

Minnesota

Atlanta

Tampa

NO , NO , NO , Miami loves Beck and think he will be very good so I say Miami will not be interested.

Terms like "higher ceiling" and "more upside" were applied to Ryan Leaf when he and Peyton Manning were the top QB prospects. Most people said that Peyton Manning had leveled off in college and didn't show much improvement.

Brohm has been too good in college, even on a horrible team, to fall to the 2nd round. It may be crazy or premature to say that it definitely couldn't happen... because we've seen Rodgers, Quinn, and to a lesser extent Leinart slip in the 1st round.

Bottom line is, every draft scout and their mother thinks Brian Brohm is almost too good to be true for Atlanta. McKay's line of thinking after losing Vick may be "now or never" when it comes to landing this teams franchise QB. You simply can't discount the factors of experience and production. Brohm has been in what I guess you could say is the college version of Petrino's offense (since Bobby P says it's more complex now) for the past 3 years, putting up very good stats. He is, quite simply, the definition of a safe pick for the Falcons.