2009 Atlanta Falcons

clb129

It is clear that the Atlanta Falcons will hold an extremely high pick next year.

For arguments sake, lets say the Falcons end up with the 3rd overall pick.

Who is the correct player to draft? What is our biggest need?

Well, by looking at recent trends in the NFL, the answers are surprisingly clear.

In fact, they can actually be summed up in one potential draft scenario:

Draft a Franchise Quarterback

The Falcons draft a high QB prospect. Likely players include Colt Brennan and Chase Daniel.

What's right

The Falcons potential gain a talented QB to guide the franchise for decades.

What's wrong

A lot. Look at our current roster right now. We have 2 draft busts in Joey Harrington and Byron Leftwich sitting on the bench. All the while, Tom Brady (7th round) and Tony Romo (Undrafted) are lighting up defenses week in and week out. Do you see a trend?

Solution

There is no doubt that the Falcons need a fresh start at the Quarterback position, but it simply doesn't make sense to select a quarterback with the 3rd overall pick (especially when there are so many other areas of need). I believe the Falcons can pick up a very talented QB in the later rounds of the draft such as Brian Brohm or Matt Ryan while also gaining a talented (not to mention much more NFL ready) prospect such as RB Darren McFadden or OT Jake Long. Also, the Falcons must be a major player for undrafted free agents to pick up potential NFL starters (willie parker / antonio gates). In my eyes, a talented rookie with promise is always better than a complacent veteran.

Peace.

-clb

clb129 (12/8/2007)
It is clear that the Atlanta Falcons will hold an extremely high pick next year.

Well, by looking at recent trends in the NFL, the answers are surprisingly clear.

In fact, they can actually be summed up in one potential draft scenario:

Draft a Franchise Quarterback

The Falcons draft a high QB prospect. Likely players include Colt Brennan and Chase Daniel.

What's right

The Falcons potential gain a talented QB to guide the franchise for decades.

What's wrong

A lot. Look at our current roster right now. We have 2 draft busts in Joey Harrington and Byron Leftwich sitting on the bench. All the while, Tom Brady (7th round) and Tony Romo (Undrafted) are lighting up defenses week in and week out. Do you see a trend?

Solution

There is no doubt that the Falcons need a fresh start at the Quarterback position, but it simply doesn't make sense to select a quarterback with the 3rd overall pick (especially when there are so many other areas of need). I believe the Falcons can pick up a very talented QB in the later rounds of the draft such as Brian Brohm or Matt Ryan while also gaining a talented (not to mention much more NFL ready) prospect such as RB Darren McFadden or OT Jake Long. Also, the Falcons must be a major player for undrafted free agents to pick up potential NFL starters (willie parker / antonio gates). In my eyes, a talented rookie with promise is always better than a complacent veteran.

Peace.

-clb

Is this a joke? You're saying we could wait until the later rounds of the draft and get Brohm or Ryan, both of which are projected high first round picks?

scott24falcs (12/8/2007)

Is this a joke? You're saying we could wait until the later rounds of the draft and get Brohm or Ryan, both of which are projected high first round picks?

Yeah, I'm confused... this topic doesn't make sense. He says "2009 Falcons" and talks about us definitely having a high draft pick next year... and then talking about 1st round prospects from THIS year being picked up later in the draft...

:blink:

Carter (12/8/2007)
scott24falcs (12/8/2007)

Yeah, I'm confused... this topic doesn't make sense. He says "2009 Falcons" and talks about us definitely having a high draft pick next year... and then talking about 1st round prospects from THIS year being picked up later in the draft...

:blink:

Haha, I didn't even pay attention to the "2009" part. Now this makes even less sense.

We could pull a Baltimore. Draft someone, like an OT, then trade back up into the 1st and draft a QB. Then pray like heck he doesn't end up like Kyle Boller! LOL, I'm just kidding. I say we trade down to the middle of the 1st, where Brohm, Woodson, Brennan, Baker or some other need player is still available. Then we take the extra picks and build some depth!

Teams are not made out of 1st round picks! It is the complimentary players drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds that make a team. Was Jessie Tuggle a 1st rounder? Was Jamal Anderson (the RB) a 1st rounder? What about Todd McClure or Michael Boley? Do I need to keep going?

clb129 (12/8/2007)

Peace.

-clb

So we should pass on a QB like Brohm who should excel in the offense we are running and take a chance on getting a QB later who might or might not be effective? Now that is a messed up way of looking at a area of need that ranks at the top of our need list. Now I agree with Steve Bartkowski that the offensive line needs to be addressed badly. There are some pretty good FA prospects like Faneca, Starks, that are already established in the NFL this next year but there are virtually no worthy UFA quarterbacks that are going to be available this next off season so you take a QB like Brohm when you can get him. What you don't do is wait around until some other team takes him and you settle for a QB that really doesn't fit our offense then you set yourself up for failure. Brohm is the QB for this team and the QB for this offense so it doesn't matter if you take him third or thirteenth you just make sure you get him and someone else doesn't.

louisvillebrianbrohmtravp1.jpg