Tom Cruise to reprise his role as the vampire Lestat in The Tale of the Body Thief?

Headshot

revitalization of United Artists hasn t exactly been a success yet. Their first film, Lions for Lambs, came and went from theaters almost completely unnoticed by audiences. They ll probably do better with Bryan Singer s upcoming movie Valkyrie, but they could really use a franchise or marquee genre project to make their name. The answer for UA could be vampires.

Blood Disgusting is running an unconfirmed rumor which says Cruise s United Artists is in negotiations to land the rights to the Anne Rice novel The Tale of the Body Thief , fourth book in her Vampire Chronicles series. The first book in the series, Interview with the Vampire, was in 1994 made into what to my mind is still the best vampire movies ever made, starring Brad Pitt as Louis and Tom Cruise as the vampire Lestat.

Here s where this gets really interesting. Lestat is also the star of The Tale of the Body Thief . Tom Cruise owns United Artists a company which, right now at least, exists solely to produce Tom Cruise related projects. If United Artists is after this, then there s a pretty good chance that they re after it so Cruise can reprise the role of Lestat. Nothing else would make any sense.

It s all rumor and speculation right now, but getting Cruise back in a pair of fangs could be absolutely huge, and get United Artists the kind of attention they need if they re going to succeed. Since Interview with the Vampire, other books in the Chronicles series have been made into movies, all without Cruise, all done poorly, and all utter failures at the box office. Meanwhile Interview was a critical and box office smash, and in my opinion an instant vampire genre classic. I miss Interview era Cruise, and I d love to see him back as the tortured vampire Lestat.

Link

I loved Interview with the Vampire, as did most people. Every other time an Anne Rice novel has been brought to the big screen without Cruise, it has sucked. Hopefully this rumour is true.

Headshot (12/8/2007)

Since Interview with the Vampire, other books in the Chronicles series have been made into movies, all without Cruise, all done poorly, and all utter failures at the box office.

Link

I loved Interview with the Vampire, as did most people. Every other time an Anne Rice novel has been brought to the big screen without Cruise, it has sucked. Hopefully this rumour is true.

That's the part I have a problem with...they've only brought one other book from the chronicles to the big screen...Queen of the Damned, and though Stuart Townsend did a good job as Lestat, that movie was doomed from the gate, as one of its main stars, Aaliyah, died prior to the movie's release...combine her death with the fact that this sequel had neither Cruise or Brad Pitt in it, and the serious lack of marketing and public studio commitment, and it was DOA from opening weekend forward...

Now there have been other Anne Rice books made into movies, but thus far, there's only been 2 from the Vampire Chronicles, with Body Thief on the verge of becoming #3...

So IMO, it's hard to say that Cruise is the reason that Anne Rice's Vampire movies succeed or not...it could just as easily be Pitt...or Banderas...or Slater...or Kirsten Dunst...:P

I'm in the minority here but I was disappointed with "Interview" and I was not overly impressed with Cruise's portrayal of Lestat. I thought Pitt did an admirable job as Louis but I felt that the movie would come up short in relation to the book, and it did. The original trilogy of books prior to bodysnatchers are in my top reads of all time.

I always thought "The Vampire Lestat" was the best of the three and would make a killer movie (or two).

sprintfan11 (12/8/2007)
I'm in the minority here but I was disappointed with "Interview" and I was not overly impressed with Cruise's portrayal of Lestat. I thought Pitt did an admirable job as Louis but I felt that the movie would come up short in relation to the book, and it did. The original trilogy of books prior to bodysnatchers are in my top reads of all time.

I always thought "The Vampire Lestat" was the best of the three and would make a killer movie (or two).

While I highly disagree with your opinion of Interview and Cruise's portrayal of Lestat, I 100% agree with you about The Vampire Lestat. That would make a great movie.

sprintfan11 (12/8/2007)

Yep...The Vampire Lestat would've been a great movie...and IMO, it's one of the reasons why I was a bit puzzled by Townsend being cast as Lestat in QOD...Since it would be a continuation of Lestat's singing career, that began in TVL, to me it would've made more sense to cast a known entity into the role of Lestat...someone who could pull off both acting and singing...Gavin Rossdale comes to mind...I'm sure there are others...:P

ugh... He was the only one I really didn't like in the movie... I thought someone else would have done Lestat justice but, Cruise screwed him up... I liked the first movie and probably would have loved it if it weren't for TC... The book is great and one that many should read but, Cruise just isn't Lestat... Needless to say I will still go see this if it happens...

Ton80Kid (12/9/2007)
sprintfan11 (12/8/2007)

Yep...The Vampire Lestat would've been a great movie...and IMO, it's one of the reasons why I was a bit puzzled by Townsend being cast as Lestat in QOD...Since it would be a continuation of Lestat's singing career, that began in TVL, to me it would've made more sense to cast a known entity into the role of Lestat...someone who could pull off both acting and singing...Gavin Rossdale comes to mind...I'm sure there are others...:P

Wow, you should be a casting agent. Gavin Rossdale as Lestat = Gold.