Johnny Depp to play John Dillinger in Michael Mann's Public Enemies

Headshot

Johnny Depp has gotten pretty good at playing across the pond outlaws, from Captain Jack Sparrow to this winter s Sweeney Todd, and now he ll be kicking ##### and taking names here in the heartland. He s agreed to star in Public Enemies for director Michael Mann, a drama set in Depression-era Chicago. Depp will play John Dillinger, one of the most legendary gangsters of the era.

Dillinger s real-life story is the stuff every gangster film is made of, from multiple stints in jail and bank robberies to a legend about escaping prison by making a fake gun out of a potato, blackening it with shoe polish, and using it to threaten the authorities. He died a classic mobster death, set up by a femme fatale and shot in the back while on his way out of the movies. He was also known for exhibiting acrobatic grace when conducting bank robberies, like leaping over the counter to get to the money. His Wikipedia entry has all sorts of other cool details. In real life he looked like the guy pictured at right, but aren t you already picturing Johnny Depp here?

Though Depp is the talk of the town thanks to his brilliant performance in Sweeney Todd, his schedule has been wide open for a while after production got shut down on Shantaram. The Mira Nair film would have seen Depp as get this an Australian ex-con who moves to Bombay and pretends to be a doctor. The movie will likely happen eventually when the writers strike is over, which guarantees that Johnny Depp will remain the reigning king of totally out-there roles.

Link

falconsd56 (12/9/2007)
That could be cool.

He really gets into his roles. He is imo one of the best actors to come around in a long long time

Agreed. He's also EASILY the best at picking his roles. He doesn't do a whole lot of movies, which makes every movie he does even better, but the types of roles he plays really do amplify his ability, making him one of the best.

You know how many actors must have scoffed at their agent when they said, "We've got a pretty good role as an infamous pirate in a Disney movie that's based off of their theme park ride if you're interested"? I know I would have. But Depp saw something in the movie and more importantly the character. He's not like Samuel L. Jackson and Christopher Walken, who just simply cannot bring themselves to turn down a role, he's very precise and into the roles he selects like you said.

IMO he's one of the top 3 actors in Hollywood right now.

Headshot (12/9/2007)
falconsd56 (12/9/2007)
That could be cool.

He really gets into his roles. He is imo one of the best actors to come around in a long long time

Agreed. He's also EASILY the best at picking his roles. He doesn't do a whole lot of movies, which makes every movie he does even better, but the types of roles he plays really do amplify his ability, making him one of the best.

You know how many actors must have scoffed at their agent when they said, "We've got a pretty good role as an infamous pirate in a Disney movie that's based off of their theme park ride if you're interested"? I know I would have. But Depp saw something in the movie and more importantly the character. He's not like Samuel L. Jackson and Christopher Walken, who just simply cannot bring themselves to turn down a role, he's very precise and into the roles he selects like you said.

IMO he's one of the top 3 actors in Hollywood right now.

The thing I see when I watch his movies re, he is PERFECT for the roles, to the point you can not imagine anyone else playing them. I mean like Jack Sparrow, can you see ANYONE else playing that other then Depp? I know I cant