What is your favorite college football play of all time?

Headshot

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For my greatest play, you have to understand a little about the situation...the "Strip" happened in the National Championship game for the 1992 season. It was the #1 Miami Hurricanes and the #2 Alabama Crimson Tide for the National Title. Alabama was a decisive underdog going into the game, and Miami's players made that known in the week preceding the showdown. Perhaps, the most vocal Cane was Wide Receiver Lamar Thomas, who told anybody who cared to listen that he was the fastest man in college football. The comments by Lamar Thomas included a statement that the SEC was definitely not what it used to be, how Alabama's Defensive Backs were too slow to stay with the Canes' receivers, and how "real men play man" (Alabama's '92 defense played almost exclusively zone coverage).

With Alabama leading the National Championship game 27-6 at the time (thanks in part to a George Teague interception return for a TD earlier in the game), the Canes looked to answer back as Heisman winner Gino Toretta found Lamar Thomas streaking down the sideline. That is when Alabama Defensive Back George Teague entered the picture.

After the statement play of the game by Teague, the Tide continued to roll over the Canes winning the game 34-13 and the National Championship.

"The Strip" by George Teague...

Another angle of "The Strip...

The irony is that the play did not count as an offsides penalty nullified the result. However, the "Strip" kept the Canes out of the endzone on that play and essentially made the statement that this game was over.

Check out Lamar Thomas's quote after the game: "That catch could have put us where we needed to be. Teague made a great play. It was probably the worst moment I've ever had playing football. But I'm not really ashamed. That first guy, I beat him so bad he fell down! And I still say their defensive backs aren't that good."

** And for the rest of the story (as I have been told)...The perception of Lamar Thomas and his eventual NFL draft stock appeared to take a major hit after the "Strip" by Teague. Thomas slipped down the board as many teams questioned both his speed and his character leading up to the draft. After being picked by Tampa Bay in the 3rd Round of the 1993 NFL draft, Thomas eventually found himself on the Miami Dolphins roster. In 1997, the Dolphins added a Safety named George Teague. Being teammates in Miami, Teague and Thomas actually became pretty good friends. As I have been told, one night George Teague was eating in a nice Miami restaurant when in walked Lamar Thomas, who was taking his Mom and Dad out to dinner. Thomas took his parents right over to Teague's table and said..."Mom, Dad, I want you to meet George Teague. This is the man that cost y'all the big house." :)

CrimsonKat (12/8/2007)
For my greatest play, you have to understand a little about the situation...the "Strip" happened in the National Championship game for the 1992 season. It was the #1 Miami Hurricanes and the #2 Alabama Crimson Tide for the National Title. Alabama was a decisive underdog going into the game, and Miami's players made that known in the week preceding the showdown. Perhaps, the most vocal Cane was Wide Receiver Lamar Thomas, who told anybody who cared to listen that he was the fastest man in college football. The comments by Lamar Thomas included a statement that the SEC was definitely not what it used to be, how Alabama's Defensive Backs were too slow to stay with the Canes' receivers, and how "real men play man" (Alabama's '92 defense played almost exclusively zone coverage).

With Alabama leading the National Championship game 27-6 at the time (thanks in part to a George Teague interception return for a TD earlier in the game), the Canes looked to answer back as Heisman winner Gino Toretta found Lamar Thomas streaking down the sideline. That is when Alabama Defensive Back George Teague entered the picture.

After the statement play of the game by Teague, the Tide continued to roll over the Canes winning the game 34-13 and the National Championship.

"The Strip" by George Teague...

Another angle of "The Strip...

The irony is that the play did not count as an offsides penalty nullified the result. However, the "Strip" kept the Canes out of the endzone on that play and essentially made the statement that this game was over.

Check out Lamar Thomas's quote after the game: "That catch could have put us where we needed to be. Teague made a great play. It was probably the worst moment I've ever had playing football. But I'm not really ashamed. That first guy, I beat him so bad he fell down! And I still say their defensive backs aren't that good."

** And for the rest of the story (as I have been told)...The perception of Lamar Thomas and his eventual NFL draft stock appeared to take a major hit after the "Strip" by Teague. Thomas slipped down the board as many teams questioned both his speed and his character leading up to the draft. After being picked by Tampa Bay in the 3rd Round of the 1993 NFL draft, Thomas eventually found himself on the Miami Dolphins roster. In 1997, the Dolphins added a Safety named George Teague. Being teammates in Miami, Teague and Thomas actually became pretty good friends. As I have been told, one night George Teague was eating in a nice Miami restaurant when in walked Lamar Thomas, who was taking his Mom and Dad out to dinner. Thomas took his parents right over to Teague's table and said..."Mom, Dad, I want you to meet George Teague. This is the man that cost y'all the big house." :)

If anything the scouts should have looked at the fact that the idiot did not switch the ball to his outside arm. That is a high school mistake you don't expect college players to make. Fundamentals fundamentals win games.

Demetrius Dew (12/8/2007)
not cool im a nishka hugger. you cant do me like that.:angry:

Knowshon superman dem gators.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=46Zdkm-RAYo

thats my favorite play for right now, until next year when we cream yall.

Which play or just the entire game?

Oh my favorite was moreno owning the gators the entire game.. it was awesome..

:sick:

Headshot (12/8/2007)

Be prepared to be real real sick the next few years.. you will think you are watching a rerun over and over again.. starring Moreno and his helpless competition gators defense.. LOLOLOL :D:P:w00t:

Headshot (12/8/2007)

Be prepared to be real real sick the next few years.. you will think you are watching a rerun over and over again.. starring Moreno and his helpless competition gators defense.. LOLOLOL :D:P:w00t:

Moreno will be playing a different defense his next 3 years.

This defense had 9 new starters, 2 of which were true freshmen, and still placed 35th in the nation. They will be much more experienced and much better for the next several years.

I'd be more concerned with Emmanuel Moody if I were you :P;)