Rashard Mendenhall learning towards coming out

http://www.gbnreport.com/

(12:01 AM): Junior rumblings& At least according to his mother, Illinois junior RB Rashard Mendenhall is leaning toward entering the 2008 NFL draft. Mendenhall still has to get a report from the NFL s special draft advisory committee, but according to his mother "We might want to strike while the iron is hot." And Mendenhall may have an unusual extra motivation to turn pro this winter: if Mendenhall indeed leaves the Illini his older brother Walter would be one of the leading candidates to inherit his job as the starting tailback at Illinois. On the other hand, Mississippi junior OT Michael Oher says he is now leaning toward coming back" to school or his senior season. Oher had been thought to be leaning the other way, however, has reportedly been inspired to stay in school for another year with the arrival of former Arkansas coach Houston Nutt who has moved over to take over at Ole Miss. Same story for Oklahoma junior MLB Curtis Lofton, the Big XII defensive player of the year, who also will check out his potential draft status but says he would only likely enter the draft if he were rated as a possible top 10-15 prospect which he concedes isn t likely.

If he somehow fell to our first pick in the 2nd round, I would be ecstatic. He's exactly what we need for this offense. Mendenhall and Norwood would be unstoppable.

I would LOVE to get Mendenhall here, but he will probably rate out in the wrong place for us to get him. I think he goes around 10-20 if he comes out and works out well.

Another guy I actully hope enters now is Felix Jones. If he enters it would be a good chance that either he, Mendenhall or Stewart fall to round 2.

Even then we might pass becuase I think we have to get a QB in round 1 or 2 as well as a OT. This draft is going to be interesting....especially if we DONT take a QB or OT in round one. That would throw a big ole wrench into logic.

1989fan (12/8/2007)
I would LOVE to get Mendenhall here, but he will probably rate out in the wrong place for us to get him. I think he goes around 10-20 if he comes out and works out well.

Another guy I actully hope enters now is Felix Jones. If he enters it would be a good chance that either he, Mendenhall or Stewart fall to round 2.

Even then we might pass becuase I think we have to get a QB in round 1 or 2 as well as a OT. This draft is going to be interesting....especially if we DONT take a QB or OT in round one. That would throw a big ole wrench into logic.

I would not be upset if we went quarterback or offensive tackle in the 1st, then Mendenhall/Stewart/Jones (although I personally don't think he'll declare) with our first 2nd rounder, then whichever we did not pick in the 1st with our other 2nd rounder. That would automatically make our offense about 10x better. Mendenhall and Stewart are the two guys I want the most at RB, followed by Choice. I don't want McFadden, I think we have to spend that pick on either a quarterback or an offensive lineman.

Pipe dream quick mock: 1. Brian Brohm, 2. Rashard Mendenhall, 2. Chris Williams, 3. J Leman

I don't know about getting picked in the 10-20 range, seems a little high. I love the guy, but he should fall to the 2nd. There are a ton of good backs who are either seniors or likely to declare in this draft. You've got - McFadden, J.Stewart, Felix Jones, Mendenhall, Tashard Choice, Ray Rice, Steve Slaton, Mike Hart, Matt Forte, Kev Smith. The combine will go a long way in determining where they go.

I really like Mendenhall, his size and speed combo are what the Falcons need. The only thing that bothers me is that he only had a decent 2006. I just don't like taking guys high that explode onto the scene and are basically one and done. Who know if he is really the 1500 yard type or if it was a fluke.

I would be willing to risk it if we were able to move down to 15 or so. Personally, I'm more comfortable with Jonathan Stewart if he comes out. May not have Mendenhall's speed but he a hard runner at 230 lbs.

grendel (12/8/2007)
1989fan (12/8/2007)

Felix Jones would be awesome... He's not going to get the big-time attention McFadden has gotten, but he's been even more productive than DMC given his limited touches. He'd definitely be there for our 1st 2nd round pick, and he'd be worth it.

I just have a hard time seeing why he wouldn't want to come back to establish himself as a premiere guy and be taken in the high 1st. I guess if the offensive line is the unit that should get most of the credit for the success these guys have, then he should come out if they're losing a bunch of them. If not, I could see him staying to raise his stock. It would still be better if he came out for us, we'd almost certainly get either him, Mendenhall, or Stewart in the 2nd round.