Kenny Phillips

d34ng3l021

If we trade down to the 10-15 range, I think we should look really hard at Kenny Phillips. He can come in and replace Lawyer Milloy at SS and our secondary will never look back. He has no weakness in his game...sure tackler...great in coverage. We wont be giving up so many **** long plays anymore.

If we are lucky enough to trade down, I would definitely support drafting Phillips. However, it is very likely that Phillips will be a top ten draft choice. At this moment, his status is dragged down by a very mediocre Hurricane team. Once he interviews and performs at the Combine, his status will shoot upwards.

I want Phillips to wear the black and red because I think that Hall will be traded. Phillips has the talent, intelligence and study habits to match Ed Reed's career. We could eventually end up with Stone and Phillips as our Safeties...playing behind Irons and Houston.

jidady (12/8/2007)
I was hoping to avoid this discussion in 2008, but I despise the idea of giving top 10 money to a safety in almost every instance. I was against a Landry draft pick last year, and I like him quite a bit better than Phillips.

I agree w that. I would go nuts knowing we had a safety that never took an NFL snap making 30-40M dollars. That is likely what Bob Sanders will get.

Landry's deal is 42M I think...that is nuts.

If we have another very bad season like this one(god i hope not!!), maybe 2009 is the year to replace Milloy... Even if we dont have a high 1st round pick, it should be a good class in 2009...

Hopefully Williams proves he can hold down the free safety position and we can afford to pick up a guy like Taylor Mays from USC in the 2009 draft... A 6-4, 225-pound safety who runs a 4.3:w00t:

I agree that safety is an up and coming position, and more and more are being taken in the draft at early stages. I wonder if the Redskins were onto something? Sean Taylor taken@ 5, and LaRon Landry taken@ 6... Maybe its the cheaper way to go in the long run, draft excellent safeties and 2nd round CB's like Smoot(although they drafted Rogers in round 1 also) that wont demand $70-100M contracts 5 years after theyre drafted...

To be honest, i would love to have Phillips on this team, but the only way i see it happening is if DeAngelo Hall is traded...

defensedefensedefense (12/8/2007)
If we have another very bad season like this one(god i hope not!!), maybe 2009 is the year to replace Milloy... Even if we dont have a high 1st round pick, it should be a good class in 2009...

Hopefully Williams proves he can hold down the free safety position and we can afford to pick up a guy like Taylor Mays from USC in the 2009 draft... A 6-4, 225-pound safety who runs a 4.3:w00t:

I agree that safety is an up and coming position, and more and more are being taken in the draft at early stages. I wonder if the Redskins were onto something? Sean Taylor taken@ 5, and LaRon Landry taken@ 6... Maybe its the cheaper way to go in the long run, draft excellent safeties and 2nd round CB's like Smoot(although they drafted Rogers in round 1 also) that wont demand $70-100M contracts 5 years after theyre drafted...

To be honest, i would love to have Phillips on this team, but the only way i see it happening is if DeAngelo Hall is traded...

Agree. Signing Hall and drafting Phillips would not be the wisest way to allocate cap space. However, if Hall is traded, we would likely get a mid first rounder for him. We could draft anyone we want with our early first rounder. Then, we could trade Hall, as long as Phillips remained on the board.

The beauty of the possible Hall trade is that we don't have to trade him. I believe that he is signed through 2008, so we will still have him next season, if we can't acquire Phillips.

As far as comparing Landry to Phillips......they are very different Safeties. Landry is a big hitter that has the speed to cover. He can be beaten by quicker WR's, but he can handle most of them. Phillips is a Safety that covers more ground with greater speed. He may not create bone-jarring hits, but he is an excellent tackler. Both players are going to have very good careers.

I prefer Phillips because I think that he will better cover for the weaknesses of our CB's. He would be like having a third CB out there on every down. One final word: His coaches compare him favorably to Ed Reed. I don't have the link readily available, but I will try to find the quotes.

If we have the money and Sanders becomes available in free agency, by all means go after him. But there are plenty of talented, highly drafted safeties that, in the end, are just stiff cornerbacks that can't handle receivers one-on-one and are not worth big contracts, and I would not want to risk our top pick on a safety that is not a gurantee when we have so many other needs.