Do you honestly think we're not drafting QB this year?

MSalmon

I keep seeing all of these mocks with no qb drafted or 3rd round and beyond "gems", they are just unrealistic. The odds are we'll go after Brohm or Ryan. The best case scenario is like myself and others (draftnut) have said and we draft McFadden or Long and then come back into the first to nab a falling Brohm ala Cleveland.

Either way i'll 100% guarantee you this: we draft a QB in the first two rounds this year

and I'll go even further and give a 85% guarantee that we draft a first round QB this year.

Steve_Bartkowski (12/8/2007)
Michael Salmon (12/8/2007)

and I'll go even further and give a 85% guarantee that we draft a first round QB this year.

I would definitely disagree with that. We will have a top 5 pick and no QB in this draft is worth a top 5 pick. I could see us getting someone else and then using our 2nd's to trade back into the 1st for a QB though...

As of now, you're right, no QB warrants a top 5 pick. But, after the Senior Bowl, combine, interviews, etc. I'm pretty sure you of the "big 3" will distance themselves from the pack, and be ranked somewhere in the top 5-6 range. Just a hunch though.

I agree with Michael. I am pretty positive we will be drafting a QB in the 1st or 2nd round. IMO there is NO way we don't draft a QB early come April.

I would definitely disagree with that. We will have a top 5 pick and no QB in this draft is worth a top 5 pick. I could see us getting someone else and then using our 2nd's to trade back into the 1st for a QB though...

That's part of my equation

Long + Brohm definitely has a nice ring to it...

Yes, it does

scott24falcs (12/8/2007)

As of now, you're right, no QB warrants a top 5 pick. But, after the Senior Bowl, combine, interviews, etc. I'm pretty sure you of the "big 3" will distance themselves from the pack, and be ranked somewhere in the top 5-6 range. Just a hunch though.

I agree with Michael. I am pretty positive we will be drafting a QB in the 1st or 2nd round. IMO there is NO way we don't draft a QB early come April.

You are right. It's too early to exactly gauge where the big 3 go. But i think one will fall definitely. I almost think that guy will be Brohm. For some reason scouts are enamored with Ryan. And Woodson is an intriguing prospect, considering the amount of talent he had at UK>

Brohm will take a hit by some scout on not rising to the "challenge" because of Louisville's crappy season, which is unfair since I argue he probably is the one reason that they were competitive

Brohm will take a hit by some scout on not rising to the "challenge" because of Louisville's crappy season, which is unfair since I argue he probably is the one reason that they were competitive

That's good news, maybe we can nab him in the late 1st or early 2nd.

It may be a reality. For some reason scouts love Ryan--i think he's a potential bust. And woodson

The best case scenario is like myself and others (draftnut) have said and we draft McFadden or Long and then come back into the first to nab a falling Brohm ala Cleveland.

You've heard the old saying "too smart by half"? That's what the above scenario reminds me of.

I agree, the one thing we will come out of this draft with is a QB McKay & Petrino believe is long term starting material. Not a developmental project (2nd rounder or beyond), but one of the top guys in the draft. A 1st rounder.

If the goal is a QB in the 1st (at some point) then your strategy has to ensure you get the QB, even if you lose out on something else.

The "too smart by half" strategy of drafting a player at the top of the 1st, then trading back into the 1st to get a QB leaves a real possibility that they will not get a QB in the 1st. That wasn't Cleveland's plan last year. They were going to wait until the 2nd and draft someone other than Quinn. They were shocked when he started to fall, and moved quick to get him.

Cleveland didn't plan things to happen the way they did last year, they got lucky.

Planning to trade back up into the 1st to get a QB is planning to get lucky. The way the draft goes, that's not planning, it's gambling. Or, as my mother always said: "too smart by half".

there isnt a qb that is worth a top 5 pick, but if we moved down in the 6-12 range then brohm and woodson become much better values, and id love to get brohm in the 1st, then snag kentwan balmer, alex boone and jeff otah in the 2nd (if we move down wed get at least one additional 2nd rounder) and titus brown in the 3rd. that would be sick as ****.

5 big needs all filled in the first 3 rounds, im literally salivating right now.

There are plenty of people on this board that I question if they have even seen what has happened this year. A franchise QB is in order for the Falcons. If they can't trade down out of the top 4 or so, QB will likely wait till round 2. That being said, I would rather trade down out of the top 10 and pick up Brohm, Ryan, or Woodson. I know we have to have a trading partner, at this point I'm struggling to find one.

If we end up at #2 and McFadden is on the board that would help, but I really don't see a team that has the necessary draft picks and the need for a top 2 or 3 player. Maybe the Bengals covet Sederick Ellis or the Cardinals want Chris Long. It will be interesting to see how things shape up.

I keep seeing all of these mocks with no qb drafted or 3rd round and beyond "gems", they are just unrealistic. The odds are we'll go after Brohm or Ryan. The best case scenario is like myself and others (draftnut) have said and we draft McFadden or Long and then come back into the first to nab a falling Brohm ala Cleveland.

Either way i'll 100% guarantee you this: we draft a QB in the first two rounds this year

this is the kind of thinking that has made us a losing franchise

isproab (12/8/2007)
There are plenty of people on this board that I question if they have even seen what has happened this year. A franchise QB is in order for the Falcons. If they can't trade down out of the top 4 or so, QB will likely wait till round 2. That being said, I would rather trade down out of the top 10 and pick up Brohm, Ryan, or Woodson. I know we have to have a trading partner, at this point I'm struggling to find one.

If we end up at #2 and McFadden is on the board that would help, but I really don't see a team that has the necessary draft picks and the need for a top 2 or 3 player. Maybe the Bengals covet Sederick Ellis or the Cardinals want Chris Long. It will be interesting to see how things shape up.

If McFadden is there when we pick , I just don't see us passing on him with Dunn close to retirment , We can still trade back up to get a QB , Keep in mind , a lot of teams want to trade down , just not many want to trade up so I think we can trade back up to get one. Plus I would love to see this happen.

I have a feeling that we are going to pick up a FA QB by the name of Andrew Walter and that our 1st pick will be spent on Mr. McFadden.

Along with the fact that Tyson Clabo has shown his ability to play the Tackle position, we can get a LT either through the draft (which its loaded with) or through FA.

Guys, we have some really good young guys and our OLine is going to be better than you think it is next year. Add that with the additions of McFadden and Walter (who I think is a diamond in the rough just waiting to be shined) and we could have the makings of a really good team.

Why do we need to draft a QB in the first? No way are we going to take Brohm or any of the QB's with a top 5 pick. We will not take Ryan, I can guarantee that. Only way we take Brohm is if we trade down(very possible) or trade back up(not likely). We need the picks, I have the feeling there will be a lot of turnover this offseason. By the way, Petrino hangs his hat on being able to mold a QB. There is also the possibility we pick up a young QB in the offseason, someone like Andrew Walter. I'm not saying I want that, but at this point who knows. I think there is a better chance that we don't draft a qb in the first round.

I guarantee we take a qb in one of two rounds. I agree with Draftnut, if McFadden is there we jump on him. But if that happens we either trade back into the first round (will take next years first) or target one in the second. Flacco, maybe? Ainge? I don't see Brennan being a target.

There is no way we leave the first two rounds without a QB unless Petrino is REALLY confident in his ability to make a QB.

I just hope we at least leave the 1st round without one because I don't want to pass on a first round OT unless if it's for McFadden

Brookhaven (12/8/2007)
The best case scenario is like myself and others (draftnut) have said and we draft McFadden or Long and then come back into the first to nab a falling Brohm ala Cleveland.

You've heard the old saying "too smart by half"? That's what the above scenario reminds me of.

I agree, the one thing we will come out of this draft with is a QB McKay & Petrino believe is long term starting material. Not a developmental project (2nd rounder or beyond), but one of the top guys in the draft. A 1st rounder.

If the goal is a QB in the 1st (at some point) then your strategy has to ensure you get the QB, even if you lose out on something else.

The "too smart by half" strategy of drafting a player at the top of the 1st, then trading back into the 1st to get a QB leaves a real possibility that they will not get a QB in the 1st. That wasn't Cleveland's plan last year. They were going to wait until the 2nd and draft someone other than Quinn. They were shocked when he started to fall, and moved quick to get him.

Cleveland didn't plan things to happen the way they did last year, they got lucky.

Planning to trade back up into the 1st to get a QB is planning to get lucky. The way the draft goes, that's not planning, it's gambling. Or, as my mother always said: "too smart by half".

thats very true. its possible brohm falls that far, but im starting to think we should trade down some, get out of the top 5, and select brohm. then address LT and RT in the 2nd round, and possibly add a good DT (kentwan balmer :)) with our addition 2nd wed get from moving down.