HD-DVD v Blu-Ray Battle

Article

I had no idea that the install base for Blu-Ray players outnumbered HD-DVD players by more than 2:1. You wouldn't guess that based on the 50/50 splits you see for the actual software you see in stores and I see far more HD-DVD players than I do Blu-Ray players.

Guess this Christmas is going to be big for the formats.

I'm not sure if you had a chance to see blu ray (can't speak for HD DVD even though I assume its the same HD quality), but man...the picture on a HD set is amazing. I never bought A LOT of DVD's...but I have been buying blu ray movies for my ps3 just due to the fact the picture quality is so great. I usually only buy the movies I can "rewatch" like 300, Spiderman series, etc...the others I put on a external hard drive connected to my ps3.

GREG_7 (12/8/2007)
I'm not sure if you had a chance to see blu ray (can't speak for HD DVD even though I assume its the same HD quality), but man...the picture on a HD set is amazing. I never bought A LOT of DVD's...but I have been buying blu ray movies for my ps3 just due to the fact the picture quality is so great. I usually only buy the movies I can "rewatch" like 300, Spiderman series, etc...the others I put on a external hard drive connected to my ps3.

I agree. If you have a HDTV you're doing yourself a disservice if you continue watching regular DVDs. DVD upscaled to 1080p != HD-DVD/Blu-Ray quality.

blu ray and hd dvd's combined marketshare is but a drop in the bucket compared to regular dvd.

It will still be a long time before either one overtakes DVD, if that even happens, that who is in the lead now doesn't matter.

the reason blu ray's lead over hd dvd as far as marketshare right now is only b/c of the ps3. i am curious what the BR attach rate is for ps3 owners.

joremari (12/8/2007)
blu ray and hd dvd's combined marketshare is but a drop in the bucket compared to regular dvd.

It will still be a long time before either one overtakes DVD, if that even happens, that who is in the lead now doesn't matter.

the reason blu ray's lead over hd dvd as far as marketshare right now is only b/c of the ps3. i am curious what the BR attach rate is for ps3 owners.

Oh yeah definitely. With a total of around 3.5 million players out there compared to who knows how many regular DVD players it isn't even close right now. Plus, although sometimes it may seem otherwise the vast majority of households in this country don't even have HDTVs. I also wonder if the jump to high def dvd is even worth it if you can't get full 1080p resolution. (i.e. is the difference between 480p and 720p really worth a new player and the increased price for DVDs.) Blu-Ray's lead is mainly due to the PS3 but because the PS3 is a Blu-Ray player you can't separate the two. I doubt Warner Brothers or any other studio cares that of the almost 3 million installed Blu-Ray players almost 2.5 million are PS3s.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a PS3 owner with a HDTV that doesn't have at least one or two Blu-Ray movies. They aren't that expensive and they are noticeably better looking than their standard def counterpart.

btrain5489 (12/8/2007)
joremari (12/8/2007)

Oh yeah definitely. With a total of around 3.5 million players out there compared to who knows how many regular DVD players it isn't even close right now. Plus, although sometimes it may seem otherwise the vast majority of households in this country don't even have HDTVs. I also wonder if the jump to high def dvd is even worth it if you can't get full 1080p resolution. (i.e. is the difference between 480p and 720p really worth a new player and the increased price for DVDs.) Blu-Ray's lead is mainly due to the PS3 but because the PS3 is a Blu-Ray player you can't separate the two. I doubt Warner Brothers or any other studio cares that of the almost 3 million installed Blu-Ray players almost 2.5 million are PS3s.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a PS3 owner with a HDTV that doesn't have at least one or two Blu-Ray movies. They aren't that expensive and they are noticeably better looking than their standard def counterpart.

i always wondered if Sony jumped the gun on BR. I think if they had just made a BR add-on and had the PS3 at an entry point of 300 dollars they would be blowing out the competition. I don't think the 360 would have survived with a 300 dollar ps3 as competition. i say too early b/c i don't think either one (BR or HDDVD) will overtake dvds any time soon. Like you said, i don't think too many people even have HDTVs yet.

I think they should have put out the PS3 in early 2006/late 2005 like they were supposed to, sans BR, and introduced the PS4 with BR in 2010/2011, when the whole country is ready (much more HDTVs in people's homes). At this point, the technology would have been cheaper, and BR could have rode the PS name at a cheaper entry point price.

The playstation name was the brand in gaming for the last 10+ years. The only thing keeping sony behind now is the entry price. I believe, had sony been able to keep the entry price point down, they would be blowing everyone out of the water.

And the funny thing about it is, BR is not needed for gaming. They could provide a great gaming experience on a DVD9. BR is great for movies, not so much needed for gaming. Yeah, yeah i know, uncompressed audio, but really, how many people have the audio equipment to take advantage of it?

joremari (12/8/2007)
btrain5489 (12/8/2007)
joremari (12/8/2007)

i always wondered if Sony jumped the gun on BR. I think if they had just made a BR add-on and had the PS3 at an entry point of 300 dollars they would be blowing out the competition. I don't think the 360 would have survived with a 300 dollar ps3 as competition. i say too early b/c i don't think either one (BR or HDDVD) will overtake dvds any time soon. Like you said, i don't think too many people even have HDTVs yet.

I think they should have put out the PS3 in early 2006/late 2005 like they were supposed to, sans BR, and introduced the PS4 with BR in 2010/2011, when the whole country is ready (much more HDTVs in people's homes). At this point, the technology would have been cheaper, and BR could have rode the PS name at a cheaper entry point price.

The playstation name was the brand in gaming for the last 10+ years. The only thing keeping sony behind now is the entry price. I believe, had sony been able to keep the entry price point down, they would be blowing everyone out of the water.

And the funny thing about it is, BR is not needed for gaming. They could provide a great gaming experience on a DVD9. BR is great for movies, not so much needed for gaming. Yeah, yeah i know, uncompressed audio, but really, how many people have the audio equipment to take advantage of it?

Me being a technology nut I'm happy Sony made the Blu-Ray player integrated. I probably would have bought it anyway if it was an add-on but I'd rather have integrated functionality rather than some tacky looking add-on box. (Ahem, Microsoft) If they jumped the gun, so what. Is the PS3 going to fail if Blu-Ray isn't the dominant high def dvd format? Doubtful.

Sony said the PS3 was meant to be the centerpiece of a living room and as it is...it is. I don't know about other people who have both but my 360 hasn't been turned on in at least a week. Why? I don't have any new games for it and the things I would use it for the PS3 does better or the 360 doesn't do at all. Want to browse the net? PS3. Want to watch media from your external hard drive? PS3 on codec support. Want to watch DVDs? PS3 (because it upscales to 1080p). Want to watch Blu-Ray? Obviously PS3.

The PS3 is an all around better box than the 360 and I'm pretty sure that's what Sony set out to do in the first place. 350 bucks is too much money for a video game console. 600 bucks is definitely too much money for a video game console...so you better have added functionality like high def movies, like upscaling dvds to true HD, like a browser, codec support, etc. Microsoft's MO has always been sell the bare minimum and nickel and dime your customers up to the box you should have sold in the first place.

As for DVD9. Sure, you don't NEED high def format DVDs to make good games but is any developer going to say no, I'd rather make my game for DVD9 instead of a high def format? More space gives developers more freedom to give you, the gamer, more. That's not a bad thing, compression is and audio isn't the only thing that gets compressed when you're trying to beat a space requirement. There may not be a game today (UT3 potentially being an exception) that actually requires Blu-Ray but a year or so down the line? Who knows.

These next gen features, better physics, better visuals, and more content definitely aren't coming at previous gen prices (in terms of space). Give people the space and they will fill it. We see it with our hard drives, mp3 players, cell phones, etc. DVDs aren't an exception.

I am sure that BR is 2:1 over HD-DVD... That is what Sony likes to sell to the public. In reality though... Only about 50% of the PS3 owners buy BR movies... Some don't even know what BR is yet that have a PS3... Here is a shocking number... The Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive has outsold all stand alone Blu Ray players combined... You can make the numbers fit anyway you want...

Sony said the PS3 was meant to be the centerpiece of a living room and as it is...it is. I don't know about other people who have both but my 360 hasn't been turned on in at least a week. Why? I don't have any new games for it and the things I would use it for the PS3 does better or the 360 doesn't do at all. Want to browse the net? PS3. Want to watch media from your external hard drive? PS3 on codec support. Want to watch DVDs? PS3 (because it upscales to 1080p). Want to watch Blu-Ray? Obviously PS3.

I won't lie...my ps3 is on ALL THE TIME. It's connected to my HD plasma and surround sound, so I use it to play my music (25 gigs of music), I use it for viewing pictures (have 10 gigs of family pics on it), I use it as my media library (external hard drive connected and has 235 movies) and viewing blu ray movies, I use it to play my games (loving COD4 and Ratchet and Clank), I use it to surf the next when the kids are on the laptop and the wifey is on the mac, and I even use Aquatopia on it (basically a interactive fishtank screen saver that is in high def.)...I know, but the kidos love it.

I can honestly say I have gotten my money's worth out of it. It def. is the media center of my household like Sony has intended.