Free Agents:

Nat Dorsey, LT, CLE

Bryant Johnson, WR, AZ

Dominique Foxworth, CB, SD

Floyd Womack, RG, SEA

Corey Williams, DT, GB

Tommy Kelly, DT, OAK

My Atlanta Falcons Draft

I think us and Miami will be the only teams not to get a win for the rest of the season, slotting us at #2. This is an interesting position for us because of all of the teams that are looking to snatch up McFadden. I have heard many interesting theories about the Cowboys giving up two 1sts for the McFadden pick, but I think it is unlikely, and more possible that they give us their pick from the browns that I estimate to the 19th overall pick, their 2nd rounder which is probably the 62nd pick in the draft, and their 2nd next year (to continue the trend). They will also do a sign and trade of Julius Jones to make the lopsided value on the chart more equal. He runs hard and has enough power to excel in Bobby Petrino s system.

*Atlanta trades their 1st (2)

*Receives Dallas 1st (19 CLE), 2nd (31), and their 2009 2nd pick.

1 (19 - DAL) - Gosder Cherilus, Boston College, RT We moved down to a slot where we were confident that we could nab a great offensive tackle. Cherilus should become a dominant right tackle for us.

2 (2) Michael Oher, Ole Miss, LT We were hoping he would slip into the second round and he did, if he hadn t we would have ensured Colt Brennan here and landed Jeff Otah or Chris Williams at slot 9. He should develop into a solid left tackle.

2 (9) Colt Brennan, Hawaii, QB We get a steal here. He becomes the best QB from the draft and thrives in Petrino s scheme.

*Atlanta trades their 2nd (31 - DAL) and their 4th and 5th (2nd Slots) to Buffalo for their 2nd (18)*

2 (18) Eric Young, Tennessee, RG We moved up to select him when we saw him at this slot. He should become a fine starter at right guard for us.

3 (2) Jonathon Goff, Vanderbilt, MLB A huge sleeper pick. He will be our Michael Boley of this draft. I have watched him a lot and he is one fantastic middle linebacker.

3 (Kerney) Kevin Smith, UCF, RB We take a chance on an extremely impressive prospect here. He is a huge steal on the 2nd day.

6 (2) Fernando Velasco, Georgia, C The local kid gets picked to compete with Datish for the bigger center job. May the best man win.

6 (28 - PIT) Art Carmody, Louisville, K A kicker that Petrino knows. A kicker that Atlanta needs.

7 (2) Brandon Miller, Georgia, RE He played linebacker and then is switching to DE. He has showed flashes of special ability. If he can learn some from Abe, he could be a huge steal.

Roster Entering 2008:

Offense

QB: Brennan/Redman/Shockley

RB: Smith/Norwood/Snelling

FB: Mughelli/McIntyre

WR: White/Robinson/B. Johnson/Jenkins//Jennings

LT: Oher/Dorsey

LG: Blaylock/Clabo

C: Datish/Velasco

RG: Young/Womack

RT: Cherilus/Weiner

TE: Crumpler/Milner/Blakely/C. Anderson

Defense

LE: J. Anderson/Davis

RE: Abraham/Miller

UT: C. Williams/Babineaux

NT: Lewis/Kelly

ILB: Goff/Taylor

LOLB: Boley//Wilkins

ROLB: Williams/Nicholas

CB: Hall/Houston/Foxworth//Irons/Grimes

SS: Milloy/Stone/Crocker

FS: Williams/Crocker

Special Teams

K: Carmody

P: Keonen

LS: Schneck

KR: Norwood/Jennings

PR: Jennings

Breakdown

QB- Redman will coach up Brennan into our franchise QB.

HB- Smith and Norwood become a dynamic duo with the occasional presence of Snelling on short yardage.

FB- We finally see Ovie performing at a high level.

WR- Roddy, Laurent, and Bryant Johnson become a lethal group with many appearances of Jenkins in the 4-5 man set in the slot.

TE-Crumpler ages as others are worked into the rotation.

LT-Oher takes the job and never looks back

LG- Blalock continues to grow as a player.

C- Datish takes control.

RG- Young beats out Womack in a surprise positional battle.

RT- Cherilus must start as our 1st round pick, Weiner rotates.

LE- Jamal gets better at sacking the quarterback.

UT- Babs and Corey Williams motors never quit.

NT- Trey Lewis and Tommy Kelley rotate and stuff the run.

LOLB- Boley the probowler.

MLB- Goff performs at a high level.

ROLB- Demorrio rewards us for choosing him over Brooking.

CB-Hall and Houston kick it into high gear. Fox and Irons battle for nickel time.

FS- Jimmy shows us why he was a high round draft choice& finally.

SS- Milloy leads our teams morale and still has some pop. Watch out for stone or crocker to take over if there is aging&

K- We have a kicker now? No way!

P- Koenen& does what he does.

KR- Norwood rivals hester once we stop blocking in the back.

PR- Jennings does okay.

To start, I'm not sure about us resigning Demorrio Williams. I also don't think we will release Keith Brooking. As for the draft, I really like it. Being able to land Cherilus, Oher, Young, and Velasco would be huge for us. However, I do think that either Weiner, Clabo, or Foster will anchor down the RT spot, just a hunch though. As far as Brennan goes, I want to wait and see what he does against UGA. We need a K, and you drafted possibly the best one. Kevin Smith looks like an intriguing guy as well. Overall you did a really good job. At worst, you managed to get us a 3 or 4 solid offensive lineman, a kicker, and more overall team depth.

I am really excited about getting great, young Olineman so we can begin playing some smashmouth football.. Dunn has killed my Falcons smashmouth dreams for too long. I like him.. but dang.. I would love this draft. Thanks for the positive feedback. I like Demorrio cause he is a play maker.

We don't have to wait until June to cut Horn. The NFL now allows you to designate 2 people you cut in Feb as June 1st cuts. You get the cap benefits like you cut them June 1st, but it allows that player the normal offseason to sign on with a new team & be able to work out with all their new team's offseason camps.

I don't think there is any way Hall resigns this offseason. His ego is going to tell him to test the FA market & I don't think the FO is going to push the issue AT ALL to have him resign. IMO, it's a safer bet to say he'll be traded this offseason rather than resigned.

Think you'll have to flip flop Brooking & Demorrio if you want accuracy, I seriously doubt if Brooking leaves before he's ready to retire.

Todd McClure, as much as I hate to say it, probably stays. Datish is realistically a rookie & so will be Velasco. I'd hate to trust the most important position on the OL to 2 rookies. I wouldn't mind Datish starting the season there, but think I'd feel much better with McClure waiting as the #2 than Velasco. That said, I think Velasco is going to be a good NFL center for a long time.

Did you mean Foxworth from Denver or Drayton Florence from SD? IMO, Florence from SD is the way to go. Although Foxworth would be a good option if we couldn't get Florence.

The draft....I'd be estatic coming out with Cherilus/Oher as tackles and Young at guard (if Schuening is gone, which he probably will be by that point of the 2nd round).

Brennan, well, I'll let that slide, he could go anywhere from there to the mid-3rd depending on how scared teams are of the history of record setting QB's from teams like Hawaii. The track record on those QB's is NOT good at all.

I like Goff & Smith both, but I don't think we'll get a 3rd for Kerney.

I think we get a 3rd for Kerney, because if he keeps up the pace he has set the last few weeks he could get a pro-bowl spot. And although I'm not real sure how the NFL values comp picks, I think a potential 12-15 sack season and a pro-bowl nod would get the Falcons a 3rd rnd pick for Kerney.

squirreldawg (12/8/2007)
I think we get a 3rd for Kerney, because if he keeps up the pace he has set the last few weeks he could get a pro-bowl spot. And although I'm not real sure how the NFL values comp picks, I think a potential 12-15 sack season and a pro-bowl nod would get the Falcons a 3rd rnd pick for Kerney.
It's possible, and I think the only way it could be a 3rd round pick is if he's voted into the pro bowl.

However, the sheer size of Ovie's contract, a record breaking contract for fullbacks is going to heavily offset the loss of Kerney, it's just questionable how much since Ovie hasn't performed as well as the contract he signed says he should.

1) #2 pick = 2600 points

#19 pick = 875 points

#62 pick = 285 points

2009 2nd rounder = 190 points (equal to mid 2008 3rd rounder)

Total back = 1350. Julius Jones doesn't make up the difference and since he's a UFA, Dallas couldn't include him the deal anyway. Marion Barber III is a different story, if they included him, then I think if they upped the deal to the #31 pick (600 points), that's a deal that would strongly have to be considered.

2) If the move to make this trade was to acquire more draft picks, why make a 3-for-1 deal to move up in Round 2 to select a RG, when in your scenario we sign Womack to fill the position?

3) I think Demorrio is a goner. The notion of signing him in addition to DeAngelo Hall (which I'm not in favor of anyway) and Michael Boley (I'm in favor of) is a lot of FA dollar committed when you also take into account Williams, Kelly, Williams and Johnson.

4) Given the way Clabo has emerged, I think he deserves a better fate than backing up Blalock. To me, his emergence lessens the need to secure 4 players (Cherilus, Oher, Womack, Moore) via the draft and FA in your scenario. With Weiner and Clabo, I think RT is in pretty decent shape, but if I had to do it over again, I might not have made such a long commitment to Weiner last season (he has another 4 years on his contract).

5) I think you have to give McClure another year. Datish has never played in an NFL game. I think he'll need to develop with an eye towards 2009.

My Atlanta Falcons Draft

I think us and Miami will be the only teams not to get a win for the rest of the season, slotting us at #2. This is an interesting position for us because of all of the teams that are looking to snatch up McFadden. I have heard many interesting theories about the Cowboys giving up two 1sts for the McFadden pick, but I think it is unlikely, and more possible that they give us their pick from the browns that I estimate to the 19th overall pick, their 2nd rounder which is probably the 62nd pick in the draft, and their 2nd next year (to continue the trend). They will also do a sign and trade of Julius Jones to make the lopsided value on the chart more equal. He runs hard and has enough power to excel in Bobby Petrino s system.

Interesting scenario. I've never thought of a Jones package deal. That has a certain appeal to it. I like the kid. And Norwood and him wouldn't be bad at all. Although, it'll be tough to pass up McFadden if he's there.

*Atlanta trades their 1st (2)

*Receives Dallas 1st (19 CLE), 2nd (31), and their 2009 2nd pick.

1 (19 - DAL) - Gosder Cherilus, Boston College, RT We moved down to a slot where we were confident that we could nab a great offensive tackle. Cherilus should become a dominant right tackle for us.

2 (2) Michael Oher, Ole Miss, LT We were hoping he would slip into the second round and he did, if he hadn t we would have ensured Colt Brennan here and landed Jeff Otah or Chris Williams at slot 9. He should develop into a solid left tackle.

I like the two picks, I had Oher too but it looks like he's going back to school

2 (9) Colt Brennan, Hawaii, QB We get a steal here. He becomes the best QB from the draft and thrives in Petrino s scheme.

*Atlanta trades their 2nd (31 - DAL) and their 4th and 5th (2nd Slots) to Buffalo for their 2nd (18)*

I don't see Brennan being a Falcon, if for some reason your scenario happened, someone like Flacco or Ainge will be the pick

2 (18) Eric Young, Tennessee, RG We moved up to select him when we saw him at this slot. He should become a fine starter at right guard for us.

Nice player

3 (2) Jonathon Goff, Vanderbilt, MLB A huge sleeper pick. He will be our Michael Boley of this draft. I have watched him a lot and he is one fantastic middle linebacker.

I like

3 (Kerney) Kevin Smith, UCF, RB We take a chance on an extremely impressive prospect here. He is a huge steal on the 2nd day. Plus if we trade for Jones, we aren't drafting another rb this early

Not sure how big a sleeper he'll be post combine. If he has a great combine he'll be gone.

6 (2) Fernando Velasco, Georgia, C The local kid gets picked to compete with Datish for the bigger center job. May the best man win.

Nice player, i have him

6 (28 - PIT) Art Carmody, Louisville, K A kicker that Petrino knows. A kicker that Atlanta needs.

I like Coutou better

7 (2) Brandon Miller, Georgia, RE He played linebacker and then is switching to DE. He has showed flashes of special ability. If he can learn some from Abe, he could be a huge steal.

sure for a 7th rounder.

Roster Entering 2008:

Offense

QB: Brennan/Redman/Shockley

If we draft Brennan, which i hope we don't, he wont be starter from day one

RB: Smith/Norwood/Snelling

Where is Jones at?

FB: Mughelli/McIntyre

WR: White/Robinson/B. Johnson/Jenkins//Jennings

LT: Oher/Dorsey

LG: Blaylock/Clabo

C: Datish/Velasco