The Golden Compass was NOT athiest agenda.

Just got back from it. A pretty good movie, it was entertainment for 2 hours. I saw it as much more intolerant of facist dictatorships, such as the Nazi's and Communist Russia (which there are blatant visual references to through the uniforms of the soldiers and some of the dialogue). There are references to religion, but no paticular one. Once again, the religious themed dialogue (and there wasn't much at all during the 2 hours) was aimed at etremist, fundamentalist religions that do not allow free thinking or alternate viewpoints. Has Christianity ever been this way? You bet, but so has every other religion throughout history at some point. The movie showed what religion should not be, not that it should be done away with entirely. The entire movie was very spiritual, one of the key premises of the movie is that in the world that movie takes place in souls do not dwell in the body, but take the form of intelligent animals that accompany their respective humans. I seriously doubt if this film was "athiest propaganda" that it would include so much about the soul. Discuss.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to see it, altough I dont know if I want to fork out the cash to see it in the theater.

but it will defiantly be a DVD rental.

as for the "atheist agenda" its no surprise to me that some Christians re making it out to be more then it is, and some of their minds ANYTHING that even hints at things not being EXACTLY what they hold to be true should be stopped.

*_LennonMcCartney * (12/8/2007)
Is it the same God, or is it just a figurative God.

That's what I want to know. If it's just a figurative God and not the Christian God, then the Bible thumpers don't have anything to complain about. I mean, they'll find something else I'm sure, as they always do, but at least they wont complain about this movie anymore (Which by the way, looks really cool).

They kill the only god in the universe of the story....and since Christians believe there is only one God...then they feel by killing the one God, they are killing their God, since they are one in the same.

I see their point.

You can say, "Well, its a figurative God."

Well Christians dont believe in figurative Gods...they believe in one omnipotent God...so if you write a story where the ending involves killing God, you are killing the only God in the Christian perspective.

This movie may not overtly spread an "athiest agenda," but the books are BY THE AUTHOR'S ADMISSION anti-Christian:

"I'm trying to undermine the basis of Christian belief." -- Phillip Pullman

Further, the director has said specifically that they cut controversial material from the FIRST movie with the full intention of reintroducing it in the later sequels, which is problematic when one considers the target audience. I don't know that they are doing this as a propaganda tool as has been alleged, but my kids won't see the first movie, because I am concerned with what they will do with the 2nd and 3rd.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7113001425.html

Awesome Possum (12/8/2007)
Even if it does have an atheist agenda, I don't see why some Christians are so up-in-arms about not letting their children watch it.

I mean, if I had kids, it's not like I wouldn't let them watch a movie with a Christian agenda.

For my part, I'm not "up in arms" about anything. I won't let my kids watch it because it undermines the faith I am teaching them. Since I am the parent, I have that prerogative.

Ain't freedom great?

JDaveG (12/8/2007)
Even if it does have an atheist agenda, I don't see why some Christians are so up-in-arms about not letting their children watch it.

I mean, if I had kids, it's not like I wouldn't let them watch a movie with a Christian agenda.

For my part, I'm not "up in arms" about anything. I won't let my kids watch it because it undermines the faith I am teaching them. Since I am the parent, I have that prerogative.

Ain't freedom great?

When you were a kid, what choices did your parents try to make for you that ended up in you rebelling?

Curfew? Religion? Friends? Sobriety? Abstinence?

JDaveG (12/8/2007)

Ain't freedom great?

**** skippy i is, and I totally respect your thoughts as a parent ,

however I must ask....

how does it undermine anything?? its a fantasy story........thats it pure and simple.

I have never seen how a FICTIONAL story could undermine someone beliefs.

charlestonchad (12/8/2007)
When you were a kid, what choices did your parents try to make for you that ended up in you rebelling?

Lots. Does that mean you advocate non-curfew, non-religion, drunkenness and promiscuity for your kids? That kids rebel does not argue that one should deny them structure, discipline and boundaries.

falconsd56 (12/8/2007)

however I must ask....

how does it undermine anything?? its a fantasy story........thats it pure and simple.

I hear what you are saying, but fiction is a powerful tool. Yes, it's a fantasy story, but it's one with an agenda.

And Narnia is no different. The only difference is that Narnia has an agenda that coincides with what I'm teaching my kids. I readily admit that.

JDaveG (12/8/2007)
charlestonchad (12/8/2007)

Lots. Does that mean you advocate non-curfew, non-religion, drunkenness and promiscuity for your kids? That kids rebel does not argue that one should deny them structure, discipline and boundaries.

I never said anything about advocating those things. Sheltering is different than structure. I think sheltering your kids will make them want to do those things more when they find out about them. I'm not by any means trying to tell you how to raise your kids, just putting the point out there that sometimes overprotecting kids isn't a great thing.

If you are that afraid of your kids seeing a movie that might possibly maybe have anti-christian parts, you have an underlying problem. If your kids decide to become an atheist or convert to islam because of a movie, I think they were going to do it eventually anyways.

Honestly I think its stupid that people are boycotting a movie that they really don't even know anything about. Don't get me wrong, I think it looks stupid and havent seen it so I have no idea what its like... but neither do 2/3 of the people that are boycotting it. They just hear that its bad from someone else and believe them.

I mean, come on. The fact that it might be anti-christian doesnt automatically make it a bad movie. Dogma got boycotted for being anti-christian, it was a good movie. Constantine was anti-christian, I liked it. Captain planet was communist propaganda that Jane Fonda made Ted Turner produce, I liked it and turned out to be a rational person.

I guess my beef is that you could draw anti-religion ties to so many movies and books, but people chose to boycott this particular one for no reason other than somebody else told them to. What sheep.

Personally, despite the fact that I'm against organized religion, I believe that Christians have a right, and a very good reason to be agitated about this movie, the books, and the author's own statements regarding his intentions for the story...by his own admission, his books are about killing God.

It's a free world...Phillip Pullman has a right to write what he wants, say what he wants, and believe what he wants...Christians have those same rights...

Not sure what the big deal here is...the controversy will probably help generate a huge boom for the movie...controversy usually tends to do that. Pullman isn't denying that he wants to kill God...and the Christians aren't making up the reasons for their concern.

More power to both sides...if the Christians or followers of religion in general wish to boycott the movie, as long as they do so peacefully then let them. If the supporters of Pullman, the books, the movies, and atheism in general want to celebrate these events, then let them...provided they do so peacefully.

Way too much is being made out of this controversy...we've got bigger concerns than this...;) I mean, who the **** is going to win the Heisman tonight...geez...:P

JDaveG (12/8/2007)
falconsd56 (12/8/2007)

however I must ask....

I hear what you are saying, but fiction is a powerful tool. Yes, it's a fantasy story, but it's one with an agenda.

And Narnia is no different. The only difference is that Narnia has an agenda that coincides with what I'm teaching my kids. I readily admit that.

no doubt it can be but shouldn't your "agenda" be more powerful?

I mean if your kids know ( I think I saw you had younger kids right?) that what they are seeing is not real and does not represent any sort of reality, I don't see the harm

JDaveG (12/8/2007)

Ain't freedom great?

Whoa now, I didn't say anything about your rights as a parent.

It's just that I've always felt that religion should be something that a person isn't brought into, but finds on their own. So I don't really agree with disallowing a movie because it has a different agenda than yours.

But, again, don't take this as if I'm trying to tell you how to raise your kids. It's just my opinion. Pay it no mind.

What Christians are upset about isn't the content, that's easily avoided. The problem is that it is being pumped as a kids movie, diluting it to hide the author's agenda and feeding it to the masses. That's the difference between this movie and Narnia IMO. If you are going to make an anti-Christian product then proclaim it don't try to disguise it and that's the point...