Vols hanging in there with Pryor

jdu00743

Apparently he has cooled big time on Ohio State, and some people are saying they aren't even in his top 3 anymore...I was pretty shocked to hear that.

Apparently the 3 outside of OSU he is rumored to be most interested in are WVU, Florida, and Tennessee.

Jgator...I'd love to hear what you think he will do.

New article on him...Ohio State is out of his top 5.

Top 5 is Tennessee, West Virginia, Florida, Oregon, and Penn State.

If we get him on an official visit and Cutcliffe does not leave for Duke, I feel great about Pryor.

Once again, Terrelle Pryor made it look easy.

The five-star quarterback from Jeannette, Pa., steamrolled over WIlmington last weekend and is confidently marching his squad on to the PIAA Class AA Championships on Saturday.

Pryor completed 9-of-13 passes for 142 yards and a touchdown and ran for 158 yards on 16 carries and a score in the 41-21 win. On defense, he returned an interception 100 yards for a touchdown and added a sack.

In the game, Pryor became the first player in WPIAL history to eclipse the 4,000-yard mark in both passing and rushing. He now has 4,160 passing yards and 4,074 rushing yards in his storied career.

But the job is far from finished.

This weekend, the 6-foot-6, 235-pound Pryor will lead the Jayhawks into Hershey Park Stadium, where one year ago they were defeated by Wilson, 29-28, to take on PIAA Eastern Champion Dunmore (14-1).

"I think we're kind of healthy, and we're going against a good team, so we'll see what happens on Saturday," said Jeannette head coach Ray Reitz. "I haven't watched enough film on Dunmore to comment on them, but obviously they're good if they're representing the East."

With all eyes likely on Pryor, it will be easy to overlook a very talented Jayhawks squad, led by a punishing defense that only allowed 8.7 points per game this season. Jeannette is outscoring opponents 811-131 on the season.

"We have other players on the team. Don't get me wrong, (Terrelle) is a great player, and we're very fortunate, but we have a lot of athletes around him," he said. "And he does a great job with being unselfish, so that has helped us get to where we are."

Even with the Jayhawks deep in the playoffs, Reitz said that his start quarterback has taken some time to focus on his recruitment.

"He's been talking (recruiting), Tennessee has been up to see him, I think he's showing an interest in them now," said Reitz. "With Tennessee, I think the four teams are Florida, Oregon, West Virginia and Penn State."

One name curiously left off Reitz's list is Ohio State, who was said to be Pryor's longtime leader. The head coach said that concerns about the Buckeyes' offense have caught Pryor's attention.

Pryor has accounted for over 8,000 yards of total offense in his career.

"I think that he's wavering on them a little bit now," he said. "Go to Rivals.com on the computer and read that article. I mean, actually, it's probably that Penn State and Ohio State are 'I' formation offenses, so I think that's what he's worried about."

Pryor has already taken an official visit to Columbus, but he has yet to set up any visits for after his season is over.

"I think he's going to take a visit to the teams that I just said," he said. "I don't know if he is going to to to Penn State for a visit, because he has been there so many times I don't know if he is going to visit or not."

Throughout the contact period, which began in November, Pryor has had coaches from all over the country stop into Jeannette and give a quick pitch, or simply watch a practice. Penn State defensive coordinator Tom Bradley and quarterbacks coach Jay Paterno are regular visitors.

"They were here on Wednesday of last week, and I think they're coming down this week, too," he said. "They came to practice, and then they met with Terrelle at Denunzio's restaurant."

The Nittany Lions staff has apparently turned up the heat on Pryor's recruitment. To address concerns about the offense, Bradley and Paterno have been playing the Michael Robinson card very heavily.

"Terrelle really likes Tommy, I think he's one of the top guys that he likes (among coaches), so I think that's a plus for Penn State," said Reitz. "I think (Joe) Paterno is coming in in January."

Paterno isn't the only head coach that will stop by in the next month.

"I'm sure (Urban Meyer) from Florida will be in there, and I think Phil Fulmer will be coming up," he said. "I think you're going to see a lot of them in Hershey on Saturday."

On the season, Pryor has completed 80-of-120 passes for 1,721 yards, 20 touchdowns and four interceptions. He has also rushed for 1,702 yards on 119 carries and 29 touchdowns.

Ethanga62890 (12/13/2007)
I'd go to UT, they have done the best out of those schools at developing pro QBs and this guy definately has the potential to be a pro QB.

Not sure if we're the best or not...but I'd rather have a Cutcliffe coached QB than a QB that developed under Jeff Tedford, Urban Meyer (still reserving the right to change my mind depending on Tebow), Spurrier, etc...

Ton80Kid (12/13/2007)
Ethanga62890 (12/13/2007)
I'd go to UT, they have done the best out of those schools at developing pro QBs and this guy definately has the potential to be a pro QB.

Not sure if we're the best or not...but I'd rather have a Cutcliffe coached QB than a QB that developed under Jeff Tedford, Urban Meyer (still reserving the right to change my mind depending on Tebow), Spurrier, etc...

That's why i said of those schools. Cutcliffe has a great track record with Peyton and Eli both being top picks. Eric Ainge will likely be a 2nd rounder as well.