Why are there no Bowls that pit the SEC against the Pac10?

Headshot

And I'm not talking about some obscure bowl, although I don't even think a small Bowl has that matchup. Basically, if you ever want to see the Pac10 play the SEC, you have to schedule it during the regular season, and even then it isn't really that compelling (Tennessee vs. Cal, USC vs. Arkansas, LSU vs. Arizona State, Georgia vs. Oregon State in the future).

Is there a reason why there isn't a major bowl that lines these two conferences up to play each other? It seems like the majority of the SEC's slate of bowls consists of games against the ACC, Little Eleven, and Big East, but no Pac 10 or even Big 12 for that matter.

I wanna see an Oregon vs. Georgia or Florida vs. USC. Something huge.

Demetrius Dew (12/7/2007)
The Cotton Bowl use to pit the SEC Champion vs the Big 12 Champion, which I think concede to the Fiesta Bowl if memory serves me right.

The Cotton Bowl used to pit the SWC champion against an at-large team back in the day. It used to be a top echelon bowl with the Rose, Sugar and Orange, until the BCS came along. When the Cotton Bowl got left out in the cold, the Big 12 (Big 8 & SWC merger) champion goes to the Fiesta now.

The SEC champion always went to the Sugar Bowl no matter what before the BCS took over.

Headshot (12/7/2007)
And I'm not talking about some obscure bowl, although I don't even think a small Bowl has that matchup. Basically, if you ever want to see the Pac10 play the SEC, you have to schedule it during the regular season, and even then it isn't really that compelling (Tennessee vs. Cal, USC vs. Arkansas, LSU vs. Arizona State, Georgia vs. Oregon State in the future).

Is there a reason why there isn't a major bowl that lines these two conferences up to play each other? It seems like the majority of the SEC's slate of bowls consists of games against the ACC, Little Eleven, and Big East, but no Pac 10 or even Big 12 for that matter.

I wanna see an Oregon vs. Georgia or Florida vs. USC. Something huge.

good post. I didn't even relize that.

If the SEC and the Pac-10 are the top two conferences then we need more matchups.

I wanna see USC take on Georgia, LSU or Florida.

freakyfalcon (12/7/2007)
Demetrius Dew (12/7/2007)
The Cotton Bowl use to pit the SEC Champion vs the Big 12 Champion, which I think concede to the Fiesta Bowl if memory serves me right.

The Cotton Bowl used to pit the SWC champion against an at-large team back in the day. It used to be a top echelon bowl with the Rose, Sugar and Orange, until the BCS came along. When the Cotton Bowl got left out in the cold, the Big 12 (Big 8 & SWC merger) champion goes to the Fiesta now.

The SEC champion always went to the Sugar Bowl no matter what before the BCS took over.

Correction towards the late 90' the Big 12 and SEC had tie-in's to the Cotton Bowl.

UGA played Ok St this season and trounced them. they will travel to Az St next season for the first of a home and home.

it's my opinion that the bowls that feature the pac 10 and big 10 dont want to showcase the matchups because the bowls might cause an insight to how weak certain conferences are. each of them have good teams, but not good conferences IMO. the SEC is too deep for them, and i give kudo's for the ACC and Big 12 for welcoming the competition.

I'm sure people on both sides will try to say that it's because they are scared of each other. I doubt it. A more realistsic answer would be geography. The PAC10 is west coast. The SEC is East coast. The AD's are probably worried about their respective fan's recognition of teams in the other other conference. How many Oregon or Arizona games had anyone on the East coast watched up until this year? How many Ole Miss or Ketucky games had anyone on the West coast watched until this year? I'm willing to be that both answers are "very few".