NOVA program:Judgement Day Intellgent Design on Trial

I know a lot of you probably remember last year when there was that controversy in Dover, Pennsylvania when the school board there allowed a statement about Intelligent design (ID)to be read to the class and some parents sued because the United States Supreme Court said that Creationism cannot be taught in public schools and these parents taught that ID was creationism just with another catch phrase. Well the case went to a bench trail in front of a Bush appointed Judge and the Judge said the ID was NOT science and was creationism just wearing a different costume.

The program is great for anyone interested in the debate between ID and evolution and whether ID is creationism.

The program is about 2:00 hours and in 12 parts.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/id/program.htmlhttp://' target="_blank">

falcnfan77 (12/7/2007)
I.D. is just another attempt by the fundies to prop up their slowly dying religion. Those with a second grade education as well as fundy nuts like Dewain Gish believe it to be the truth.

One of my favorite quotes from the program is in the last chapter and it is from the judge who says,

"In an era where we're trying to cure cancer, where we're trying to prevent pandemics, where were trying to keep science and math education on the cutting edge in the United States, to introduce and teach bad science to ninth-grade students makes very little sense to me. You know, garbage in garbage out. And it doesn't benefit any of us who benefit daily from scientific discoveries."

Honestly I cant wait until nobody ever thinks about teaching creationism/intelligent design in schools. And Im christian. The fact is that nothing about creationism makes it relevant in a science classroom.

What I see here is parent fearing that their kids will be exposed to alternate views in their lifetime... and thats totally the wrong stance to take. People shouldnt force their kids to be christians by making them go to church and trying to block out all other ideas through the legislature. If you are that scared of your kids being exposed to alternate theories, there is an underlying problem.

They do it by using pseudoscience that every college science teacher I have ever met or read about has found funny. There isn't any evidence that the world is 6,000 years old and that a garden of eden existed/whatever else you want. It doesn't mean it isnt true, it just means you cant go around teaching it in a science class without any credible evidence whatsoever.

lax32 (12/7/2007)
Honestly I cant wait until nobody ever thinks about teaching creationism/intelligent design in schools. And Im christian. The fact is that nothing about creationism makes it relevant in a science classroom.

What I see here is parent fearing that their kids will be exposed to alternate views in their lifetime... and thats totally the wrong stance to take. People shouldnt force their kids to be christians by making them go to church and trying to block out all other ideas through the legislature. If you are that scared of your kids being exposed to alternate theories, there is an underlying problem.

They do it by using pseudoscience that every college science teacher I have ever met or read about has found funny. There isn't any evidence that the world is 6,000 years old and that a garden of eden existed/whatever else you want. It doesn't mean it isnt true, it just means you cant go around teaching it in a science class without any credible evidence whatsoever.

BRAVO!!!

lax32 (12/7/2007)

I ABSoLUTELY agree creationism should not be taught in classes. It has no place there.And I believe in creationism.To me it would be just as silly as teaching science in Sunday school.

However, science itself has been responsible for holding forth lies to be truth at times. Piltdown man, anyone? I am just saying if you are going to teach it as fact, make sure it is in fact real.

pencilpusher (12/7/2007)
lax32 (12/7/2007)

I ABSoLUTELY agree creationism should not be taught in classes. It has no place there.And I believe in creationism.To me it would be just as silly as teaching science in Sunday school.

However, science itself has been responsible for holding forth lies to be truth at times. Piltdown man, anyone? I am just saying if you are going to teach it as fact, make sure it is in fact real.

Yeah but unlike creationism, there was at least evidence supporting the piltdown man. The way the scientific method works is basically you have an idea, you test it, and you draw your conclusions from the test. Thats what happened, only the evidence turned out to be wrong. Creation, however, is different. You have a belief you refuse to change, and you find the facts you need to in order to justify it. Thats not science.

People just want their kids to be forcefed religion everywhere they go. If they wanted their kids to be able to make a fair and educated decision about what to believe, they would be including creationism and all the other religions in their church.