Paul Johnson signed by GT

etherdome

This is strictly at the rumor stage, but it looks like Paul Johnson has agreed to accept the HC job at Georgia Tech. The rumor is that he will get 2.3million for six years. That is a hefty salary and expectations will be very high.

Go Jackets! It is time to crank up the old rivalry. This State produces a hugh amount of football talent and it is high time our colleges have something to show for it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep agreed, i think those numbers are wrong.. but he has agreed in principle to coach gtu..

Tech, Johnson agree to deal

Jackets waiting for Navy coach to sign contract

By TONY BARNHART

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 12/07/07

Navy coach Paul Johnson has an agreement in principle to become the next head football coach at Georgia Tech, two people close to the hiring process told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution Friday morning. But as has been the case during this crazy season of the coaching carousel, it is not a done deal until Johnson's name is on the dotted line.

Johnson, 50, was scheduled to meet today with his team at Navy, where he is scheduled to take the Midshipmen to the Poinsettia Bowl on Dec. 20.

Several coaches, including Wake Forest's Jim Grobe, have discussed other jobs only to change their minds at the last minute.

But this much is clear, according to one person who talked to the AJC. Johnson will either stay at Navy or he will become the next coach at Georgia Tech to replace Chan Gailey.

Johnson, who is 107-39 in 11 seasons as a head coach, won a pair of national championships at Georgia Southern in 1999 and 2000. He took over a Navy program that was 0-10 in 2001. He has won five straight Commander in Chief Trophies, which goes to the top school among the service academies.

GEORGIAfan (12/7/2007)
GREAT NEWS!!! now it will be a rivalry again. i was getting tired of whooping yall every year. it really took away from the rivalry, which made the game less important.

what do you mean you get tired of whipping Tech every year? We must keep dominating them in recruiting and on the playing field. I would hate to go into Tech one year undefeated and they dash our NC dreams.

freakyfalcon (12/7/2007)
GEORGIAfan (12/7/2007)
GREAT NEWS!!! now it will be a rivalry again. i was getting tired of whooping yall every year. it really took away from the rivalry, which made the game less important.

what do you mean you get tired of whipping Tech every year? We must keep dominating them in recruiting and on the playing field. I would hate to go into Tech one year undefeated and they dash our NC dreams.

I kind of agree with GEORGIAfan, it's more exciting when the other team in your team's rivalry is just as competitive as you are. That's why I'm looking forward to Georgia bringing in a great recruiting class and getting better in every phase of the game. The Florida/Georgia rivalry is no longer an automatic win for Florida, and that's pretty exciting, at least IMO.

I love it when Florida ruins Georgia's hopes of getting to a NC game. That's the highlight of the season, and it's happened like twice in the past 5 years. I'm sure Georgia would love to do the same to Tech if they were that competitive.

Headshot (12/7/2007)
freakyfalcon (12/7/2007)
GEORGIAfan (12/7/2007)

I kind of agree with GEORGIAfan, it's more exciting when the other team in your team's rivalry is just as competitive as you are. That's why I'm looking forward to Georgia bringing in a great recruiting class and getting better in every phase of the game. The Florida/Georgia rivalry is no longer an automatic win for Florida, and that's pretty exciting, at least IMO.

I love it when Florida ruins Georgia's hopes of getting to a NC game. That's the highlight of the season, and it's happened like twice in the past 5 years. I'm sure Georgia would love to do the same to Tech if they were that competitive.

I agree with you. As a Michigan fan I know win or lose I am going to be entertained by the UM/OSU game. I don't even watch the GT/UGA game anymore. I know the outcome.

Headshot (12/7/2007)
freakyfalcon (12/7/2007)
GEORGIAfan (12/7/2007)

i barely watched the game this year. to busy watching the UT UK game, and when that game was done i watched the UGA/GT game, but wasnt really into it.

rivalries are only good if its going to be a good game. now i do not think GT will be good next year, but in a few years they will be a pretty good team, and mayb be the 1st team to beat CMR thats out of conference.

Peyton (12/7/2007)
That's not a hefty salary unless it's 2.3 per year, and I kind of doubt he is getting that.

Johnson will make 2.3million per year for six years. He will be one of the highest paid HC's in the nation.

This shows us two important points:

1 GT has finally gotten serious about its football program.

2 There is money at GT.

Congrats to all GT supporters/fans.

Congrats to UGA fans. Whether you realize it or not, this will make college football in Georgia much more relevant. Maybe we can rekindle the old traditions of both institutions.

Peyton (12/7/2007)
I think it's widly premature to assume that Tenuta will be gone. I don't think he'll leave unless he gets a head coaching gig, and I don't think he is a top canidate anywhere.

There is a press conferece today at 5:30 to introduce the new coach and it is also widely believed that they will address Tenuta's status as well. I think the only way Tenuta leaves is if he either gets a HC offer or feels slighted in the selection process. If he feels slighted I'd expect to see him at LSU as DC next year.

Headshot (12/7/2007)
freakyfalcon (12/7/2007)
GEORGIAfan (12/7/2007)

screw that. I want to stomp a mudhole in all of our rivals each and every year.

clemumo82 (12/7/2007)

screw that. I want to stomp a mudhole in all of our rivals each and every year.

Stomping a mudhole in a 9-10 win GT team is a lot more impressive than stomping a mudhole in a 3 win GT team. I don't get fans who honestly want their rivals to completely suck.

Tech has never been that bad in a very long time. The last time they won less than 3 games in a season was when Bill Lewis was coach and Tom Luginbill was QB in 1994. They won a total of 1 game that season. Other than that, they have always fielded a competitive team.