Quick mock...

FA acquisitions:

Stacy Andrews OG

Bob Sanders FS

Trades:

Atlanta trades pick 3 and pick 131 with Oakland for pick 7,39 and a 2009 2nd... Oakland selects Darren McFadden to compliment Russell and look to FA for OL.

Atlanta trades Alge Crumpler to Oakland for pick 103

Draft:

1- 07: James Laurinaitis ILB Ohio St.

2- 35: Alex Boone OT Ohio St.

2- 39: Jonathon Stewart RB Oregon.

2- 43: Frank Okam DT Texas.

3- 67: Dennis Dixon QB Oregon.

3- CP: Jeff Otah OT Pittsburgh.

4- 99: Josh Barrett SS Arizona St.

4-103: Ezra Butler OLB Nevada.

6- 163: Alexis Serna K Oregon St.

6- 188: BPA

7- 195: BPA

This draft 'polishes' the defense, even puts us over the top if we end up with Sanders;) and gives us offensive linemen we desperately need... Many wont agree with the Dixon pick, but i think he has real potential in this offense. And no, i dont think Laurinaitis is a reach at pick 7... The guy is a beast, but may just end up in New England...

Why all the trades to Oak. Just curious?

Well, they were sitting in the right position for the 1st trade, because i wanted to get Laurinaitis before the Bengals did... And the 2nd trade was because Knapp is their OC, and im sure he would love to have Alge back as his TE. He would become the #1 receiver there, a position that Crumpler likes...

I'd love to have Lauriniatis on this team, but I don't think that's the direction we're going to go. I'd love to build the lines first, then the remaining pieces on defense, but there's no way Petrino and McKay are going to go another year without bringing in their quarterback. Petrino is our head coach, and as such, he's going to build the team how he wants to. That starts with his side of the ball: offense. Hopefully he's smart enough to know that you cannot have a competent offense without a great offensive line, but who knows. None of our previous coaches seemed to realize that.

I agree OrangeCrush. I truly haven't seen Dixon play enough to know much about him, so I won't give my opinion on him. But, I think we will focus primarily on offense with our early picks. Laurinaitis will be a great player IMO, but McKay has had good success finding good defensive players, particularly LBers later in the draft.

I'd love to have Lauriniatis on this team, but I don't think that's the direction we're going to go. I'd love to build the lines first, then the remaining pieces on defense, but there's no way Petrino and McKay are going to go another year without bringing in their quarterback. Petrino is our head coach, and as such, he's going to build the team how he wants to. That starts with his side of the ball: offense. Hopefully he's smart enough to know that you cannot have a competent offense without a great offensive line, but who knows. None of our previous coaches seemed to realize that.

I hope we do go in this direction... What is the draft 'missing' apart from a 1st round QB??

McKay has been doing a nice job drafting for defense over the last few years, and i hope he finishes off what he has started. My hope is, by the time we have a QB that is ready to go, our defense is one of the top units in the NFL. Its just going to make his transition that much easier if he is getting good field position consistently...

McKay CANNOT afford to have any top picks bust, and that is one of the reasons i think we may go for a player like Dorsey/Animal... The 2009 draft could be solely concentrated on the offensive side of the ball. No matter what, i dont see the Falcons being a consistent winner untill the 2010/2011 seasons anyway... There is still a **** of a lot of work to be done with this team... So drafting a QB in the next draft isnt really that high on my priorities list anyway, especially if we can get whoever is left over in Cleveland in 2009. They will have to trade one of them...

defensedefensedefense (12/7/2007)
Laurinaitis will be a great player IMO, but McKay has had good success finding good defensive players, particularly LBers later in the draft.

And just like the QB argument, if you want an Urlacher/Lewis MLB you draft them in the 1st...

I agree with you. I would love to have Laurinaitis on our D, but I just can't see us going in that direction. I believe our first pick will be an offensive player, JMO though. I like your mock for the record. Dixon was one of the players that I didn't get a good enough chance to see play this season, so I won't give my opinion on him. As I mentioned in another post, I just can't see the Colts letting Bob Sanders walk. It could happen, but I think if they had to, they would part ways with Dallas Clark before Sanders. Overall pretty good job.

I like this mock, however no way no how can we give up a shot at DM.. He is a AP type of back & more importantly he is a seat filler. Especially not for 2 2nd's.. Love the Bob Sanders pickup. Also love Laurinitas but Id be more apt to grab Sam Baker or Ryan Clady.

obviously the Dixon pick is the way to go..

the only thing id say **** NO to is trading basically the only person who can catch on our offense..

vickfalcons23 (12/8/2007)

I like this mock, however no way no how can we give up a shot at DM.. He is a AP type of back & more importantly he is a seat filler. Especially not for 2 2nd's.. Love the Bob Sanders pickup. Also love Laurinitas but Id be more apt to grab Sam Baker or Ryan Clady.

obviously the Dixon pick is the way to go..

the only thing id say **** NO to is trading basically the only person who can catch on our offense..

Taking Clady or Baker kind of defeats the purpose of the mock... It is drafted the way it is to put the defense in the top 3-5 in the NFL. I wouldnt be at all unhappy if they did draft Clady/Oher, but i just want to see a dominant D to keep us in games whilst the O gets its ##### together...

Drafts arnt always necessarily to fill holes, sometimes it nice to finish off a part of the equation so it no longer lingers as a 'hole'... Draft to your strengths, so to speak. If we can get a couple of key defensive pieces, that leaves the next couple of drafts to concentrate on building on our weakness, which we all know is the offense.

Like ive said all along, this team will be built up over the next 3 years, and if anyone wont still be around in that time bracket; why not trade them? Besides, i wouldnt think Alge would want to be underutilized for the next few years...

scott24falcs (12/8/2007)
Laurinaitis will be a great player IMO, but McKay has had good success finding good defensive players, particularly LBers later in the draft.

And just like the QB argument, if you want an Urlacher/Lewis MLB you draft them in the 1st...

I agree with you. I would love to have Laurinaitis on our D, but I just can't see us going in that direction. I believe our first pick will be an offensive player, JMO though. I like your mock for the record. Dixon was one of the players that I didn't get a good enough chance to see play this season, so I won't give my opinion on him. As I mentioned in another post, I just can't see the Colts letting Bob Sanders walk. It could happen, but I think if they had to, they would part ways with Dallas Clark before Sanders. Overall pretty good job.

My gut feeling is the same in all honesty... We most likely will draft an offensive player, but i just hope McKay finishes off what he has started. His defensive drafting has been 10 fold better than his offensive drafting, thats for sure;)

Just thought id bump this mock, since it was made before Bobby no balls quit...

If a defensive HC like Singletary was hired, i would be all for this draft. Since we dont know what the offensive scheme would be the OL/QB selections are debatable...

Young OLmen in FA should be pusued, and the FO should have Sanders firmly in their sights... Offer him part ownership in the franchise if need be!! LOL

busboyisback (12/13/2007)
Our offense is too atrocious to not take an OT,QB, or RB in the 1st round

It would take once in a decade defensive player to warrant taking that high over those positions which The Animal Jr is not even close to

James Laurinaitis may go even higher than that... Obviously if DMC or Dorsey are there when we pick, it would be hard to pass them up; maybe even Jake Long too(although im not that sold on him)... We need this team to take on a defensive identity, it is too close to being a great unit to ignore it for a putrid offense that is going to take a few years to repair...