Led Zeppelin promise epic 'two-hour set' for reunion show

Doc_2957

Led Zeppelin promise epic 'two-hour set' for reunion show

'We couldn't just play for 40 minutes' says Jimmy Page

NME.COM

04.Dec.07 12:59pm

Led Zeppelin have explained that they are planning to perform for two hours at their reunion show at London's O2 Arena on December 10.

Guitarist Jimmy Page revealed that when the band were first contacted about playing a reunion show, they were asked to play for 40 minutes, but the band thought this was too short.

"When we were first asked to do this [reunion show], we were asked to play a 40-minute set. We soon realised we couldn't," he told Q magazine.

"If we go out and play 'No Quarter', 'Moby ****' and 'Dazed And Confused' with all the solos, you're already talking over an hour."

He added: "We've gone from [planning to play for] 75 minutes to 90, to the best part of two hours."

Page went on to explain that while Led Zeppelin will play for two hours, he doesn't think he could handle playing for much longer than that.

"There's no way I can take on playing three-and-a-half-hour sets now," he said. "Flying against the wind and the storms, because I just don't have that energy anymore. But I've still got enough in me to get through a two-hour set."

NME.COM will be bringing you comprehensive coverage of the Led Zeppelin reunion. We will be bringing you the build-up all week, while on December 10 we will have live coverage straight from the 02 Arena including news, pictures and a special blog.

kind of funny...everyone cracks on Keith Richards being death on a stick but the stones have been circling the globe for years it seems doing shows night after night and Jimmy is trying to summon up two hours he can play through for the first time in decades. Even in the 70s he used to have to sit in a chair. The guy has been out in la la land since before most of the people on this board were born.

morphy (12/7/2007)
How brave of them to play for two hours.

Meanwhile, I've been to concerts with bands that have less than half the song library of LZ, and they played for 4 hours.

But then again, how generous of them to bless us with the holy mana that LZ considers their music to be. :P I hate rock snobs.

Not making excuses for the band morphy, but those kids weren't in their 60's were they?

I saw Zepplin in the old Fulton County stadium in '74. Two sets, 3 1/2 hours plus 4 encores.

One break was a 15 minute Bonzo solo, the other break was a Page solo from ****. Awesome isn't the word.

backnblack (12/7/2007)
kind of funny...everyone cracks on Keith Richards being death on a stick but the stones have been circling the globe for years it seems doing shows night after night and Jimmy is trying to summon up two hours he can play through for the first time in decades. Even in the 70s he used to have to sit in a chair. The guy has been out in la la land since before most of the people on this board were born.

In the 70's when Page was sitting in a chair on stage, it was because he had so much heroin in his system he couldn't stand up. That white horse is a hellva monkey on your back.

"The 1977 tour began in Dallas on April fools' Day. Shows would again run over three hours, through fifteen songs and two encores. From the beginning, though, it was clear that this tour was different. Peter Grant's wife had left him, which put a tremendous damper on the spirit of the tour. And Jimmy arrived in the States looking and feeling very weak. In addition to the pulled curtains, lit candles and the ever-present stereo, Jimmy needed heroin."

"One night in Chicago, Jimmy went on dressed as a Nazi storm trooper. By the third night, he was feeling ill. He needed to sit in a chair to play "Ten Years Gone," and then he staggered off with severe stomach cramps. The show was canceled. Later, the problem was said to have been food poisoning."

Check out the Hammer of the Gods thread or book for details.