Steve Bartkowski

fansince78

The answer is an emphatic yes. He was one of the very best quarterbacks of his time. He was taken as the first overall pick in 1975 after a fantastic college career at the University of California. He is one of only 6 quarterbacks to ever have back to back seasons with 30 or more touchdowns.

Why were the Falcons not a better team with such a quarterback? He took the field every Sunday knowing full well that he was going to be hit more than a redneck s wife. I am totally convinced that he could have won superbowls had there been adequate protection from an offensive line.

Those of you who want a quarterback from round one next spring would do well to study some Falcon history.

Its tough in the nfl much less with the personnel he had around him in atlanta.Steve had the best deep ball ever according to marv levi.Steve did have bad knees and wasnt mobile.He is definitely one of my all time favorites.As a kid watching him throw the bigben against the saints was one of my first big football memories.

Absolutely one of the best of his time.

Playing with average receivers, a bad offensive line (save 1 or 2 seasons) and multiple knee blowouts as a result, he hung in and threw with great accuracy and always hit his man in stride. He was a blast to watch, and when he was hot he was as good as any quarterback playing.

thesouphead (12/6/2007)
just for fun......cause I know a couple guys in this thread will "looooove" this.

Bartkowski's first 1723 passes:51.3%, 78 TDs & 91 INTs, 11,673 yards

Vick's first 1730 passes: 53.8%, 71 TDs & 52 INTs, 11505 yards

Bartkowski felony convictions = 0

Vick feony convictions = 1 and counting

When steve threw 25 tds it was a huge deal back then.Qbs didnt have huge #s.

Upgraded the line ???? You have to be kidding. He had five matadors in front of him. He didn't improve until Leeman Bennett sat his ##### down on the bench. He then got serious about being an NFL QB. He stopped hanging out at bars until 4 am (I saw him many times) and started paying attention to his job. Incidentally, one of the matadors was Phil McKinley, the ref who called Rolle a boy this week. He was AWFUL and was responsible for a couple of knee surgeries for Bart. After that Bart was on of the Elite QBs of that era.

brokerbird (12/6/2007)
Upgraded the line ???? You have to be kidding. He had five matadors in front of him.

Yeah......I wish I knew who it was that said this a couple weeks ago.....it might have even been Bart.....it was interview that was on 680. The person being interviewed said it was a change in the Oline that helped Steve with his turn around. It was actually the day or the day after I created a thread asking what the main reason for Bart's turn around was.

I know we drafted a lineman in the 2nd round of 79, but I don't recall if he was good or not.

fansince78 (12/6/2007)
The answer is an emphatic yes. He was one of the very best quarterbacks of his time. He was taken as the first overall pick in 1975 after a fantastic college career at the University of California. He is one of only 6 quarterbacks to ever have back to back seasons with 30 or more touchdowns.

Why were the Falcons not a better team with such a quarterback? He took the field every Sunday knowing full well that he was going to be hit more than a redneck s wife. I am totally convinced that he could have won superbowls had there been adequate protection from an offensive line.

Those of you who want a quarterback from round one next spring would do well to study some Falcon history.

Don't even need to study, there is a more recent example of that very same thing...

fansince78 (12/6/2007)

I saw this old book, that said Bart was probably the most accurate QB, they had this Pic of this receiver with 3 people all over him, and the ball had hit the atlanta player in the facemask. thats pretty accurate. :P

thesouphead (12/6/2007)
just for fun......cause I know a couple guys in this thread will "looooove" this.

Bartkowski's first 1723 passes:51.3%, 78 TDs & 91 INTs, 11,673 yards

Vick's first 1730 passes: 53.8%, 71 TDs & 52 INTs, 11505 yards

You just had to turn it into a Vick topic didn't you?:rolleyes:

falconlovers (12/6/2007)
Yes he was that good, I've been a Falcon fan since Randy Johnson was quarterback, Bart should be in the Hall of Fame

I know a lot of younger Falcons Fans don't know that much about Steve Bartkowski, I saw him play myself and he wasn't just good in my opinion, he was great! I think if he would have had a few better players at the time the Falcons Franchise at this point in time would have 1 maybe 2 superbowl championships under their belt right now.