For those of you that do not like Colt Brennan

chris30277

I read somewhere the Colt Brennan will participated in the senior bowl this year. I know there are a lot of question marks around the kid, but if he excels in the sugar bowl, and then turns around and does adequate in the senior bowl would that be enough to change people's mind.

I like watching him, but as of right now I do not think he will be much of a success at the next level. No I would much rather attempt to trade back into the first round and secure one of the big 3 if they fall (after we pick up Long with our first pick).

If Brennan does well in the senior bowl, for example running play action passes, dropping back from under the center, even handing the ball off... would that be enough to at least warrant a look at him for this upcoming draft?

It would for me.

What is everyone else's take?

fansince78 (12/6/2007)
I don't want a first round, big contract, nothing but pure hype quarterback. Pick up some good offensive lineman, a big running back and maybe a free safety before selecting a quarterback.

Let the other teams have the hype guys and the cap problems that go with them.

QB is a much more pressing need then the big RB and FS. We can address those needs later in the draft.

OL and QB come first.

And Brohm ain't hype. He's the real deal. Plus he already knows the system.

I agree with that.

We need to address the QB problem, but the Offensive line problem is just as bad imo. Its the kind of problem that affects everything else. The running game, and the passing game all suffer from lack of solid blocking. We need more then just one piece to fix it. Imo I think we need at least 3 or 4 pieces. We need at least 2 FA's (Faneca/Starks) and 2 draft picks (1 early, 1 late/developmental pick). We do need a QB, but because of our offensive line we need to find value where we can find it for one.

As I was saying if Brennan can perform well in the Sugar Bowl and Senior bowl, I honestly wouldn't mind taking a look at him. I also wouldn't mind looking at Josh Johnson.

chris30277 (12/6/2007)
I agree with that.

We need to address the QB problem, but the Offensive line problem is just as bad imo. Its the kind of problem that affects everything else. The running game, and the passing game all suffer from lack of solid blocking. We need more then just one piece to fix it. Imo I think we need at least 3 or 4 pieces. We need at least 2 FA's (Faneca/Starks) and 2 draft picks (1 early, 1 late/developmental pick). We do need a QB, but because of our offensive line we need to find value where we can find it for one.

As I was saying if Brennan can perform well in the Sugar Bowl and Senior bowl, I honestly wouldn't mind taking a look at him. I also wouldn't mind looking at Josh Johnson.

We should take QB and OL w/our first 3 picks, then work on everything else.

And when was the last R & S QB(in college) to be successful in the NFL?

And "no thanks" to Josh Johnson. He's D-II and he's too thin. 190 and 6"2' Although his #'s are impressive.

I know Run and shoot QB's are typically not successful, but as I was saying if Brennan can show some semblance of mechanics in the senior bowl, I believe he is at least worthy of being looked out. He accuracy is great. He might be in the run and shoot, but the QB still has to get the ball there. He does that very well. I do get a little concerned when i see how open the WR's are, but I doubt that happens in the Sugar bowl and Senior bowl. So we will see how he responds.

On the Josh Johnson note. Just because he goes to a small school doesn't mean he can't play at a high level. I know T. Jackson isn't working out too well in Minnesota, but Tony Romo is shaping up to be a good QB.

I do not expect any of the QB's that we draft to come in and play right away. I want them to sit and learn. Even if we do draft Brohm, he needs to sit at least a year to adjust to the speed of the game, and the bigger play book. We might run the same system, but it is not exactly the same. It is a new team with different tendencies... so naturally he is going to have to adjust too.

make no mistake I am not a Brennan supporter. Currently I do not want him on or anywhere near this team, but as I keep saying, if he does well in the next few months leading up to the draft, I think we should consider him.

chris30277 (12/6/2007)
I know Run and shoot QB's are typically not successful, but as I was saying if Brennan can show some semblance of mechanics in the senior bowl, I believe he is at least worthy of being looked out. He accuracy is great. He might be in the run and shoot, but the QB still has to get the ball there. He does that very well. I do get a little concerned when i see how open the WR's are, but I doubt that happens in the Sugar bowl and Senior bowl. So we will see how he responds.

On the Josh Johnson note. Just because he goes to a small school doesn't mean he can't play at a high level. I know T. Jackson isn't working out too well in Minnesota, but Tony Romo is shaping up to be a good QB.

I do not expect any of the QB's that we draft to come in and play right away. I want them to sit and learn. Even if we do draft Brohm, he needs to sit at least a year to adjust to the speed of the game, and the bigger play book. We might run the same system, but it is not exactly the same. It is a new team with different tendencies... so naturally he is going to have to adjust too.

make no mistake I am not a Brennan supporter. Currently I do not want him on or anywhere near this team, but as I keep saying, if he does well in the next few months leading up to the draft, I think we should consider him.

Romo is the exception, not the rule.

My mind is made up on Johnson.

But I'm w/you on Brennan.

I wouldn't mind Brennan, I have him in my mock. However, if we were to take Brohm I think he'd be the starter by the opening game. Also if you have a QB that gets the ball out of his hands quick and goes through he progressions quickly it can mask a bad oline. Did anyone notice how the protection seemingly got better when Redman got in the game? Now I'm not saying we are going to ignore the OL because it still is a problem. What I am saying is that it can wait till the 2nd round and we grab the best LT prospect out there. With a couple of FA additions and a couple of draft picks spent on the OL we will be a heck of a lot better than we have been in recent years. I'm also hoping that Datish pans out so we won't have to spend a pick on a center in this or a future draft. If we were to sign Starks and Stacy Andrews (I think he is going to be a FA) they could possibly both step in and start on our right side of the line. Just my opinion anyways.

Peyton (12/6/2007)
Here is my take -

Colt Brennan is the best college QB I have ever seen and I think he's going to be a fantastic pro QB for somebody. Taking a snap from between the center's legs is not a complicated thing to execute.

Oh, ho, I remember a certain Kentucky quarterback that found it to be quite difficult.