Almost every idiot wanted Reeves fired after MV7 went down. He was playing the cards he was dealt and nothing could be done. This is the same thing this year guys. No team and recover from the catostrophic casualty of loosing your franchise QB. I dont want him back and didnt think he was that good but he was our QB! Now the same thing has happened.

MV7 is gone at the last moment and we try to plug 3 NFL castaways in at the last minute and expect them to be that good.

Sorgi is not manning, Cassel is not Brady. no matter how you put it it just plan sucks.

Reeves was the BEST COACH ATL ever had and could have taken us to many SB's but Arthur new heads had to roll and he had to make it happen, top suit the fans.

Petrino is the BEST college Coach that ATL could have gotten. Dont run him off too then a few years downt he road we will have message boards saying " we need petrino back", b/c once they are gone there is no comming back

While I agree that we shouldn't be calling for Petrino's head after one "nightmarish" season, the fans are welcome to vent all they want afterall no one should be happy about the state of how the team is now. Plus, I hardly believe that Arthur or any other owner for that matter would ever heed message board advice conserning coaching/personell choices.;) The fans DID NOT get Reeves fired.

ncfalconfan (12/6/2007)
While I agree that we shouldn't be calling for Petrino's head after one "nightmarish" season, the fans are welcome to vent all they want afterall no one should be happy about the state of how the team is now. Plus, I hardly believe that Arthur or any other owner for that matter would ever heed message board advice conserning coaching/personell choices.;)The fans DID NOT get Reeves fired.

yes they did. They had a big part in it. Sad isn't it?

Eddie Jewell (12/6/2007)
ncfalconfan (12/6/2007)
While I agree that we shouldn't be calling for Petrino's head after one "nightmarish" season, the fans are welcome to vent all they want afterall no one should be happy about the state of how the team is now. Plus, I hardly believe that Arthur or any other owner for that matter would ever heed message board advice conserning coaching/personell choices.;)The fans DID NOT get Reeves fired.

How do you fiqure that the fans had a part in it? I think he was fired, because he only had 2 winning seasons out of 7, or that he had problem with in game adjustments. Also, don't you think if Reeves was all that, then he would have been hired by someone else by now. I think Blank wants to win, and wants to do it with the personnel that he sees fit. Not with hold overs from the sorry Smith regime.

Reeves was a very good teacher of the fundamentals, but he lacked a spark and his schemes, game-planning, predicatble play calling and lack of in-game adjustments left a lot to be desired.

As for the front office side of things, his last few drafts were horrendous. 2003 was probably the worst draft in the history of this franchise (except possibly 2006) and the poor condition of this team today is a direct reflection of the poor personnel decisons made by the McKay and Reeves FO's over the last 6-7 years.

Reeves failed to build a team with depth and quality when he was here and had no contingency plans. That is why we were so awful in 1999, 2000 and 2001, and why we totally fell apart in 2003. When he was sacked, we'd made the playoffs once in the preceding 5 years and even that was as the 3rd wild card. The super bowl season was special, but you can only live off one great season for so long.

Reeves had to go in 2003, and a lot of new owners in Arthur Blank's position would probabaly have stamped their authority on the franchise by firing him 2001. As for Coach Petrino, time will tell...

pridemore (12/6/2007)
Eddie Jewell (12/6/2007)
ncfalconfan (12/6/2007)

How do you fiqure that the fans had a part in it? I think he was fired, because he only had 2 winning seasons out of 7, or that he had problem with in game adjustments. Also, don't you think if Reeves was all that, then he would have been hired by someone else by now. I think Blank wants to win, and wants to do it with the personnel that he sees fit. Not with hold overs from the sorry Smith regime.

I remember. This board was crazy during the 2003 season. It seems to me that Mr. Blank being a young owner then took alot of what the fans said as well as the media to heart. I am sure that 790 and 680 was filled with hate for the team that year as well. Two things really stick out to me then:

1. The monday night fiasco with the Rams; That prompted the News paper ad.

2. Mike Vick's heart being questioned on every turn because he wanted to come back 100%.

If you were here on this board you would remember all of the divided people here. The hate, the vitriol , and disgust amongst the fans. It bared a big reason why Reves was fired. Then guess what happened, Vick came back in a Nationally televised game vs the Panties and we won. We had optimism for the next year. the rest is history.

thesouphead (12/6/2007)
canesftballfan (12/6/2007)

Sorgi is not manning

Sorgi:

TD to INT ratio = 5 to 1 , passer rating 98.5

Harrington:

TD to INT ratio - 0.93 to 1, passer rating 69.4

I wish we had Sorgi..........

Are you actually trying to compare the Colts to the Falcons? Yeah, bring Sorgi in and see how well he does behind the most porous OL in the NFL.

canesftballfan (12/6/2007)
Almost every idiot wanted Reeves fired after MV7 went down. He was playing the cards he was dealt and nothing could be done. This is the same thing this year guys. No team and recover from the catostrophic casualty of loosing your franchise QB. I dont want him back and didnt think he was that good but he was our QB! Now the same thing has happened.

MV7 is gone at the last moment and we try to plug 3 NFL castaways in at the last minute and expect them to be that good.

Reeves was the equivalent of Marv Levy but without the tenure with one team.

Give Petrino time and he'll create a winner.

Sorgi is not manning, Cassel is not Brady. no matter how you put it it just plan sucks.

Reeves was the BEST COACH ATL ever had and could have taken us to many SB's but Arthur new heads had to roll and he had to make it happen, top suit the fans.

Petrino is the BEST college Coach that ATL could have gotten. Dont run him off too then a few years downt he road we will have message boards saying " we need petrino back", b/c once they are gone there is no comming back

Reeves was a very good teacher of the fundamentals, but he lacked a spark and his schemes, game-planning, predicatble play calling and lack of in-game adjustments left a lot to be desired.

As for the front office side of things, his last few drafts were horrendous. 2003 was probably the worst draft in the history of this franchise (except possibly 2006) and the poor condition of this team today is a direct reflection of the poor personnel decisons made by the McKay and Reeves FO's over the last 6-7 years.

Reeves failed to build a team with depth and quality when he was here and had no contingency plans. That is why we were so awful in 1999, 2000 and 2001, and why we totally fell apart in 2003. When he was sacked, we'd made the playoffs once in the preceding 5 years and even that was as the 3rd wild card. The super bowl season was special, but you can only live off one great season for so long.

Reeves had to go in 2003, and a lot of new owners in Arthur Blank's position would probabaly have stamped their authority on the franchise by firing him 2001. As for Coach Petrino, time will tell...

Da Truth!!!!! ;) And if Petrino is like Reeves then get rid of him now -- but I don't think he is like Reeves though - I say give him 2 more years and judge him then -- he could be the next Leeman Bennett (FALCON'S BEST COACH) or Marion Campbell (UGH!)

the_dane (12/6/2007)
Dan Reeves did get a fair chance to prove what he could do with the team.... Maybe we should give Petrino a fair chance too.

Reeves was fired before the season ended. How is that a fair chance?

Arthur Blank has fired every coach that has worked for him after one losing season. It probably won't happen this time but that's what went down with Reeves and Mora.

Dr Ballz (12/6/2007)
the_dane (12/6/2007)
Dan Reeves did get a fair chance to prove what he could do with the team.... Maybe we should give Petrino a fair chance too.

Reeves was fired before the season ended. How is that a fair chance?

Arthur Blank has fired every coach that has worked for him after one losing season. It probably won't happen this time but that's what went down with Reeves and Mora.

Mora was fired after two losing seasons in a row. Seasons in which the team started off strong, then fell apart by the end. No real surprise that was going to happen.

I see a lot of clueless posts on this thread. I bet if you give Petrino 3 different teams he wont take em all to the playoffs and two to the Bowl. Fact is, Reeves could coach a bunch of no names all the way to a Bowl son.

He was a victim of his own GMing and Blank's inexperience. His biggest two mistakes were not having an adequate back up for Vick and Jam. If he'd had that I believe we would have gone to the playoffs in '98, 99, 02, 03, 04, 05, and '06 and probably at least to one Bowl.

He may not have been the best at in game adjustments but he had some **** good game plans. He believed in smash mouth football which still wins championships. Not this 5 wide run and shoot bulls from the June Jones era.

ukfalc (12/6/2007)

Funny how we went to the NFCCG with basically Reeves' team in 2004,after he was fired in 2003.I honestly think that if Dan was our coach that season,we would've at least went to the superbowl,but im not going to get into that............

I remember. This board was crazy during the 2003 season. It seems to me that Mr. Blank being a young owner then took alot of what the fans said as well as the media to heart. I am sure that 790 and 680 was filled with hate for the team that year as well. Two things really stick out to me then:

1. The monday night fiasco with the Rams; That prompted the News paper ad.

2. Mike Vick's heart being questioned on every turn because he wanted to come back 100%.

If you were here on this board you would remember all of the divided people here. The hate, the vitriol , and disgust amongst the fans. It bared a big reason why Reves was fired. Then guess what happened, Vick came back in a Nationally televised game vs the Panties and we won. We had optimism for the next year. the rest is history.

I remembered those times and I remember Reeves saying he couldn't make more without Vick, one of the reasons of the hate. And he was criticizing Vick because he didn't come back until almost the end of the season.

I think firing Reeves was a good decision, he lost the control of the team, almost Mora the last season. And he looks without ideas. And his last draft was terrible.

I have much hope in Petrino. The comparison must be make in three years.