Why I don't want a 1st round quarterback

fansince78

With the cap situation being a very large consideration for the team, they really need to build from the ground up this time. If they start with the top floor, there will be no structure to hold it up. They need to start with the offensive line and pick up a big running back before taking a QB.

If they take a 1st rounder and give him the large contract, the team will have a difficult time building around him due to cap concerns. Taking a quarterback in round 2 or later will be less costly and there will still be "value" picks available. I would really like to see the next high paid Falcons quarterback earn his high dollar contract as an Atlanta Falcon instead of getting the contract based on speculation that he will perform in the NFL as he did in college.

Let's face it, a lot of quarterbacks that do very well in college just never make it in the NFL. I hope the team don't gamble this draft.

Honestly, Brohm is worth it he really is he has adequate arm strength, good acuracy, can move in the pocket, a brilliant football IQ and knows this system he is worth it look at Beck in Miami and Croyle in KC both arent doin paticulary well and Russell at the raiders impressed me when he finally got to play, fsecond round QB are in the second round for a reason.

fideltom (12/6/2007)
, fsecond round QB are in the second round for a reason.

You do know that Joey Harrington was the third pick overall the year he came out and one of the top prospects...right? He really lived up to that hype...

Hype is really all that any of the projected 1st round quarterbacks have going for them. There is not one quarterback coming out in the 1st next spring that is worth the money...not one.

Yes i know where Joey was drafted, but you can point to all the examples you like its how people perform in college with the tools around them and the teams they play and Brohm has looked in impressive and very consistent for the last 4 years he is worth it and we will take him

Hand off to Warric Dunn up the middle for no gain.. But yeah lets take @ QB in the first round.

I know we need a QB but NONE of them are worth a first round pick. More than one of the top 5 qbs in this draft will be there later trust me. RB and O line should be top priority jmo

fin-nor (12/6/2007)
Hand off to Warric Dunn up the middle for no gain.. But yeah lets take @ QB in the first round.

I know we need a QB but NONE of them are worth a first round pick. More than one of the top 5 qbs in this draft will be there later trust me. RB and O line should be top priority jmo

RB is not the top priority, QB and OL is the top-priority.

And yes, Brohm is worth a first round pick.

So Brohm would be a a franchise QB that we could build a team around?

If we go that way you can expect a long losing season again for the next few years.

Mcfadden would make an impact right away.

Either way, this team needs help in all those areas so which ever way they go its gonna fill a need. I just dont see how getting Brohm in the first round will help this team anymore than getting Mcfadden in the first brohm or dixon in the second and some o line via freeagency in the 2nd round and beyond...

fansince78 (12/6/2007)
With the cap situation being a very large consideration for the team, they really need to build from the ground up this time. If they start with the top floor, there will be no structure to hold it up. They need to start with the offensive line and pick up a big running back before taking a QB.

If they take a 1st rounder and give him the large contract, the team will have a difficult time building around him due to cap concerns. Taking a quarterback in round 2 or later will be less costly and there will still be "value" picks available. I would really like to see the next high paid Falcons quarterback earn his high dollar contract as an Atlanta Falcon instead of getting the contract based on speculation that he will perform in the NFL as he did in college.

Let's face it, a lot of quarterbacks that do very well in college just never make it in the NFL. I hope the team don't gamble this draft.

:laugh: wth.....

A first round pick is going to cost a lot no matter what position you pick and lots of players at every position don't do as well in the pros as they did in college..

and who the **** thinks RB is a ground up position....:laugh:

Halsey,

Which player gets a bigger contract...

An offensive lineman picked 5th overall, or a quarterback picked in that spot?

Do the Falcons need a quarterback who rear end will see more of the turf than his eyes will see a receiver?

Can a big running back block in blitz situations better than a small running back?

How many first round quarterbacks are on the Falcons team today?

Why am I wasting my time?:laugh:

Which is short term thinking?

A-Someone who wants a quarterback who has all the hype of being great in college. They think that he will make the difference even though he will spend most of his time on the field picking his ### up off the ground.

B-Someone who wants to put the pieces in place that will allow a rookie to learn to play without getting hit almost every play.

fansince78 (12/6/2007)
Halsey,

Which player gets a bigger contract...

An offensive lineman picked 5th overall, or a quarterback picked in that spot?

:laugh: You fantasy footballers...

That depends on the team and the player. Regardless a first round pick costs a lot and is a risk.

and there's a reason QB's are the highest paid position in football...

So you don't think an offensive lineman who surrenders one sack in a season is worth anything?

A quarterback gets far too much credit when a team is winning and far too much blame when a team loses. A team consists of more than a quarterback and a successful team puts the pieces in place that allow the quarterback to do his job.

fansince78 (12/6/2007)

If they take a 1st rounder and give him the large contract, the team will have a difficult time building around him due to cap concerns.

Are you suggesting the Falcons skip their 1st round pick? Look at what last year's top guys did:

Pick 1: Jamarcus Russell (QB) signed a six year, 61 million dollar contract. - 10

Pick 2: Calvin Johnson (WR) signed a six year, 55.5 million dollar contract. - 9.1

Pick 3: Joe Thomas (OT) signed a five year, 42.5 million dollar contract. - 7

Pick 4: Gaines Admans (DE) signed a six year, 46 million dollar contract. - 7.6

Pick 5: Levi Brown (OT) signed a six year, 62 million dollar contract. - 10

Pick 6: Laron Landry (SS) signed a five year, 41.5 million dollar contract. - 8

Pick 7: Adrian Peterson (RB) signed a five year, 40.5 million dollar contract. - 8

Pick 8: Jamaal Anderson (DE) signed a five year, 31 million dollar contract. - 6

The last number is the total divided by the year.

If you pick in the top 10, you have to give somebody (at some position) a big contract. It has less to do with the position than with where they are picked.

I'd take the thing with Long about only giving up one sack in perspective. Marcus McNeill was talked down throughout the offseason, even though he boasted that he did not give up a sack all season, because scouts saw flaws in his technique and worried about his back condition. He dropped to the second round and played like an All-Pro in his rookie season. He had flaws in his technique, yes, but that made people look past his stunning success in the SEC. However, on the other hand, Jake Long plays in a far weaker conference and did not perform well at all in critical games such as against Ohio State, and he could have given up a lot more than one sack, in that game and others.