Comments from the pac-10 and big 10 commissioners about playoffs.. also a plus 1 won't happen..

This is an excerpt from a SI article...

"The plus-one won't work," he says, wearily, "because to do it, you've got to seed the [top] four teams. And if you do that, the Rose Bowl won't accept it."

Confirming that is Pac-10 commissioner Tom Hansen, who replies, "Uh, no," when asked if his conference is open to the possibility of a plus-one.

"If you seed the teams, and that's the only fair way to do it," he says, "then you're going to seed the conference champions out of their traditional bowl games. And that would be very injurious to all those games."

So "injurious" and abhorrent do Hansen and his ilk find such crime-against-nature bowl matchups that they are only too pleased to block the path to a playoff. And so tied to tradition is the Rose Bowl that, having lost Ohio State to the title game, it invited 13th-ranked Illinois, the only three-loss team to get a BCS bid, to face USC. The sport is being held hostage, as one frustrated AD puts it, "by the Rose Bowl parade."

Springing to the defense of his Pac-10 counterpart is Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany, who together with Hansen forms a kind of Axis of Obstruction. Pointing out that their conferencesalready compromised once, back in 1998, when they joined the Bowl Alliance -- later christened the BCS -- Delany says, "We gave up a lot. I don't feel like we're takers. I feel like we're givers."

It is the rest of college football's problem that they are no longer in a giving mood. That nine-year-old decision to play ball with the Bowl Alliance "was not a first step toward a playoff," Delany emphasized last Friday, "but a last step." The Big Ten, Pac-10 and Rose Bowl recently signed an eight-year deal with ABC. (Fox has the rights to the four other BCS bowls in a contract that runs through 2014.) Says Delany, "We intend to honor that commitment."

joremari (12/6/2007)
the heck with them then. have a tournament and invite those that want to show. crown the winner the official and only ncaa national champion.

Yeah until the AP get's mad and decides to name someone else National Champion, which they have done in the past.

LSU had to share the crown with USC a few years back because the AP.

Demetrius Dew (12/6/2007)
joremari (12/6/2007)
the heck with them then. have a tournament and invite those that want to show. crown the winner the official and only ncaa national champion.

Yeah until the AP get's mad and decides to name someone else National Champion, which they have done in the past.

LSU had to share the crown with USC a few years back because the AP.

This would be quite a bit different.

If a playoff were instituted, and the PAC 10 & Big 10 +1 failed to participate, the college football world outside those two conferences wouldn't give a rat's rear about who a poll said was #1. If one of those teams tried to claim a championship, the rest of college football would laugh at them and remind them that they were too chicken as to take part in the playoffs, therefore you have no championship.

See what they do if the other big conferences say they are going to go to a playoff without the Big 10 and Pac 10. They will cower because of the revenue they would lose in the process. Also, the Rose Bowl would immediately drop to a second tier bowl. The other conferences need to step up, stay strong and not let the Big 10 and Pac 10 dictate the terms.

Remember, this is all about money...

vickfalcons23 (12/6/2007)
Goodoleboy58 (12/6/2007)
they play football in the big 10 and pac 10?

stfu

our ##### commissioner doesnt represent the overall opinion of the Pac 10

I begged to beat on another SEC team, this time in a bowl game

honestly give me LSU, Georgia, Florida every year on my schedule, id do backflips..

Actually your commissioner does represent the overall opinion of the pac 10.. remember the presidents are 100% behind him.. the Rose bowl didn't even ask for uga.. they wanted to keep the stupid idiotic tradition over a better bowl game..

Actually your commissioner does represent the overall opinion of the pac 10.. remember the presidents are 100% behind him.. the Rose bowl didn't even ask for uga.. they wanted to keep the stupid idiotic tradition over a better bowl game..

Sac you know **** well id rather have gum surgery than play Illinois

Im saying the fans & players in the Pac 10 want competition, a playoff= competition

I begged for UGA, I would love nothing more than to beat the best team in the SEC for the 2nd straight year.

stewie (12/6/2007)

See what they do if the other big conferences say they are going to go to a playoff without the Big 10 and Pac 10. They will cower because of the revenue they would lose in the process. Also, the Rose Bowl would immediately drop to a second tier bowl. The other conferences need to step up, stay strong and not let the Big 10 and Pac 10 dictate the terms.

Remember, this is all about money...

I completely agree. The Pac-10 and Big Ten have been the staunchest opposition to a plus-one or playoff system being implemented not because they stand to lose money, but because they no longer stand to gain the most.

This season has shown how screwed up the system is... and I don't care how many coaches or conference leaders they want to quote on saying how great the BCS works. It just doesn't unless there are 2 straight up undefeated teams that are part of a major conference.

All this crap about how great the system is because there is always debate is absolute bullshyt. We debate and talk about it BECAUSE IT DOESN'T WORK. What company wants to build their reputation on negative publicity?? Something needs to be done and it doesn't need to revolve around the almighty dollar. Sadly, and unfortunately, that is almost certainly impossible.

vickfalcons23 (12/7/2007)

Im saying the fans & players in the Pac 10 want competition, a playoff= competition

I begged for UGA, I would love nothing more than to beat the best team in the SEC for the 2nd straight year.

That's the problem, the decision makers don't care about the fans, players, or students. they care about money and tradition that is soo freaking old they don't know why it started in the first place. The fans and everyone in the country wanted this game and to see uga beat usc. I mean it's just something everyone wanted to see happen, but now we get two glamorous bowl games with total mismatches.

Carter (12/7/2007)

All this crap about how great the system is because there is always debate is absolute bullshyt. We debate and talk about it BECAUSE IT DOESN'T WORK. What company wants to build their reputation on negative publicity?? Something needs to be done and it doesn't need to revolve around the almighty dollar. Sadly, and unfortunately, that is almost certainly impossible.

I agree. It seems that more and more our college football "champion" is not crowned on the field, but crowned by the people who decide who is going to play in the game. I am beating a horse that has been dead for a LONG time, but this system is broken and it needs to be fixed.

Too bad we are stuck with this system for another 2 years (I believe) due to television contracts.

Big Ten Commissioner, please tell me what your conference sacrificed by joining the BCS. The only thing the Big Ten has done is allow themselves to be exposed as frauds more often.

As far as the Pac-10 and Big-10 threat to pull out of the BCS? Who cares!! The Rose Bowl is not a part of the BCS anyway. ABC continues to feed the Rose Bowl ego with a fat TV contract. NBC feeds Notre Dame with a fat TV contract. Those guys have no incentive to play ball as long as ABC and NBC keep paying them.

I say call the Big-10 and Pac-10's bluff and leave them out of the BCS. Be careful what you ask for.

Beat the best team in the SEC for a second straight year? Did I miss something last year?

Headshot (12/7/2007)

Beat the best team in the SEC for a second straight year? Did I miss something last year?

we manhandled Arkansas at Arkansas last year, so Ill edit it to second best team last yr.

Georgia is the best team in the SEC right now

Headshot (12/7/2007)

we manhandled Arkansas at Arkansas last year, so Ill edit it to second best team last yr.

Georgia is the best team in the SEC right now

As a staunch SEC supporter, I and my fellow SEC guys would love to see how USC would do playing in the SEC week in and week out.

And I just had gum surgery, so I feel your pain about the bowl games. When I heard there was a chance UGA would play USC in the Rose Bowl I started firing up the grill...

Danger08 (12/7/2007)

As a staunch SEC supporter, I and my fellow SEC guys would love to see how USC would do playing in the SEC week in and week out.

And I just had gum surgery, so I feel your pain about the bowl games. When I heard there was a chance UGA would play USC in the Rose Bowl I started firing up the grill...

I would love to play a schedule of

@Oregon

@LSU

@Georgia

@Florida

@Hawaii

@Ohio State

@Mizzou

@Tenn

loL@ the gum surgery thing Danger, I feel for you my brother.. I was definitely amped to see us beat UGA.. Now I have to witness the death of Juice Williams on live TV

I was definitely amped to see us beat UGA.. Now I have to witness the death of Juice Williams on live TV

There is always the chance of USC and UGA meeting up next year in the national championship. That would be a great matchup, I think... it's going to be hard for UGA to be there in the end, but the way the Dawgs have been playing has put a lot more confidence in me that it's definitely a possibility... they just have to stay focused and make sure we don't have games like we had against SC and UT.