"Tebow not a natural passer".. june jones tries to clear it up.. he runs a college system, just ask alex smith..

GEORGIA REPORT

Hawaii coach keeps pumping up Brennan

By CARTER STRICKLAND

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 12/06/07

Every coach will tell you football is not about individual honors.

Then just about every coach Oklahoma's Bob Stoops being one exception will stump for his guy to get an individual award. Arkansas-turned-Mississippi-coach Houston Nutt was doing it on the sideline after the Razorbacks' win over No. 1 LSU:

"Y'all better put him in the Heisman. You better put him up there. I'm tired of him being number three or number four. He is the best football player in the country and his name is not being mentioned. Lou Holtz, Mark May; No. 5, you better look at him a little closer. He is a football player."

Hawaii's June Jones one-upped Nutt a week later by not only touting his guy, Colt Brennan, but trying to bring down another, Florida's Tim Tebow.

"[brennan] is not a system quarterback like Tim Tebow," Jones told ESPN. "This guy is an NFL quarterback, and Tim Tebow and his system, you guys talk about Colt being a system quarterback, Colt can run any system. I am not sure Tim Tebow can run our system. He is not a natural passer."

The type of quarterback that does fit into Jones' system is one with: "Accuracy with the football and being able to make all the throws."

For the record, Brennan completed 71.4 percent of his passes for 4,174 yards with 38 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. He also had eight rushing touchdowns.

Tebow, whom everyone including Jones, would agree has gone against stiffer competition, has completed 68.5 percent of his passes for 3,132 yards with 29 touchdowns and six interceptions. He also has 22 rushing touchdowns and 838 rushing yards.

Jones took some heat for his comments. Brennan tried to throw some water on the fire.

"I was a little surprised, but I think you have to know Coach Jones to know what he meant," Brennan said Monday. "I know how it was perceived by a lot of people. Trust me, I've heard Coach Jones say a lot of great things about Tim Tebow. He's got a ton of respect for Tim Tebow. I think what he was trying to say is that the type of passes we throw and the type of execution we're asked to do, Tim Tebow doesn't have to do that in his offense. But then I'm not asked to run over 225-pound linebackers either."

Jones clarified his comments Tuesday.

"Colt Brennan plays in an NFL passing game," Jones said at his weekly press conference. "You can dial it up and see that it is not a system. Tim Tebow's system is a college system. He is a great quarterback who'll probably win a national championship. He's competitive; he's all those things. But a lot of his stuff comes off little dives, fades, things he is not going to do in the National Football League. That's my point."

Still, the Heisman is an award for college players, not next-level players, and Tebow is the front-runner and most likely winner. Jones and Brennan have resigned themselves to that fact.

"I'll be honest with you, it would be a long shot [if Brennan won] because of the [national] media attention given to other players," Jones said. "He not only deserves to be there, but he deserves to win it."

Celebration worth it, Jones says

Count Jones among those who were in favor of Georgia's excessive celebration penalty for storming the field against Florida.

"I did see when his team got the 15-yard penalty [against Florida]," Jones said. "It's like us doing the Haka. It's worth the 15."

The Haka is a traditional dance of New Zealand's Maori people that is performed by the Hawaii players before games. The Warriors were booed when they performed it at Alabama. Some opponents' fans have been known to cheer the dance.

Academic achievement

Fifteen football players are among the 43 athletes set to graduate from Georgia this semester. One of those is Mitch Davis, a linebacker from 1990-93 who has come back to get his degree. The others are: Andy Bailey, Sean Bailey, Thomas Brown, A.J. Bryant, Brandon Coutu, Thomas Flowers, T.J. Gartrell, Chris Gaunder, Mikey Henderson, Marcus Howard, Jason Johnson, Justin Lyles, Drew Williams and Ben Wilson.

Richt among finalists

Georgia's Mark Richt is one of 10 finalists for the 2007 Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year award. The Division I-A candidates are, in alphabetical order: Rich Brooks, Kentucky; Sylvester Croom, Mississippi State; Paul Johnson, Navy; Mark Mangino, Kansas; Joe Paterno, Penn State; Richt; Rich Rodriguez, West Virginia; Jim Tressel, Ohio State; Tommy Tuberville, Auburn; and Ron Zook, Illinois.

Fans can vote for their coach at coachoftheyear.com. Fan votes account for 20 percent of the coach's final tally. The winner will be announced Dec. 29.

Schedules set

Georgia will hold its first practice in New Orleans on the evening of Dec. 26. Hawaii will fly out Christmas night and also hold its first practice Dec. 26.

Sniper Wolf (12/6/2007)
falkonx7 (12/6/2007)
I think Jones and Tebows comments were classless and childish. Pot meet kettle.

In Tebows case, he IS a kid.

Besides which, even if Tebows success is mainly due to the system, so what? It's not like Brennen hasn't benefited from playing in a run and shoot system.

sorry but that's a lame excuse.. who cares if he is a kid.. that's still disrespectful to do what tebow did. i thought he was raised better, but it's obviously from him taunting fans after he scores touchdowns (see lsu among other games) and taunting another team's bench (see the fsu game and I don't want to hear he wasn't facing fsu's bench since I have friends that were at that game who saw tebow's display upfront and personal) he isn't following how he was raised IMO. At least he isn't getting arrested and getting into trouble which does show he makes good decisions off the field about his personal life. I am still wondering why 15 yard penalties aren't being called on him for his taunting.. Also to be clear I don't like some of what june jones said.. i don't believe you need to bring down another qb to put yours up, but he was right in some of what he said.. the espn idiots (they suck) want to annointed tebow so they are his own personal marketing team made up stats for tebow and claimed things that were not correct and june jones had to correct them indeed, but he didn't have to bad-mouth tebow.. even though his comments on tebow and the system qb label was correct.

Again, Tebow is a kid. You expect a kid to act like a kid.

Now, maybe if a few flags had come his way for taunting, he might have already learned better. Maybe his daddy didn't spank his bottom enough, maybe his HS coach let him get away with too much showboating, whatever. Point is, he's still a kid. It would show much better for him if he acted more mature, but I'll bet dollars to donuts he doesn't have the first clue as to what maturity is yet.

He got a taste of what poor sportsmanship can do vs. LSU. They'll be more games when he decides to show off and teams turn it around on him. The ultimate is when he enters the NFL draft and a team takes him in the sixth round as a practice squad player.

His humbling is coming, but right now, he's a kid. It's perfectly alright for him to act like one for now.

Every time June Jones opens his mouth about Tebow he sounds dumber and dumber. Not a nautural passer? How many passing records does he hold in the state of Florida? He has thrown for over 3,000 yards this season, with 29 TDs to only 6 INTs. Maybe he should shut up or something. I can't wait until next year when Tebow has like 7 TD passes in the first half :laugh:.

And about Tebow taunting the fans-- so what? I'd taunt LSU's fans if they got a hold of my cellphone number and made threatening phone calls too. It only looks bad IMO because we lost, but that's it. He taunted FSU because that idiot Hayes said that Tebow was going down and then was absolutely terrified to even tackle him, not to mention the fact that it's a huge rivalry game, of course they're going to taunt each other. The kid is 19 years old and he's on top of the world, he's allowed to be cocky. He was raised in a missionary family...I think he knows his limits. He's having fun and that's it.

It's extremely hypocritical to call Tebow classless for taunting LSU's fans and FSU's bench and then hold a position that defends UGA's entire team celebration in the Florida game. That's VERY hypocritical. What about Auburn's kicker who did the Gator chomp, or the countless other guys who do the Gator champ when playing against Florida?

Oh yea I forgot, it's only classless when a Florida player does it.

GEORGIA REPORT

Hawaii coach keeps pumping up Brennan

By CARTER STRICKLAND

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 12/06/07

Every coach will tell you football is not about individual honors.

Then just about every coach Oklahoma's Bob Stoops being one exception will stump for his guy to get an individual award. Arkansas-turned-Mississippi-coach Houston Nutt was doing it on the sideline after the Razorbacks' win over No. 1 LSU:

"Y'all better put him in the Heisman. You better put him up there. I'm tired of him being number three or number four. He is the best football player in the country and his name is not being mentioned. Lou Holtz, Mark May; No. 5, you better look at him a little closer. He is a football player."

Hawaii's June Jones one-upped Nutt a week later by not only touting his guy, Colt Brennan, but trying to bring down another, Florida's Tim Tebow.

"[brennan] is not a system quarterback like Tim Tebow," Jones told ESPN. "This guy is an NFL quarterback, and Tim Tebow and his system, you guys talk about Colt being a system quarterback, Colt can run any system. I am not sure Tim Tebow can run our system. He is not a natural passer."

The type of quarterback that does fit into Jones' system is one with: "Accuracy with the football and being able to make all the throws."

For the record, Brennan completed 71.4 percent of his passes for 4,174 yards with 38 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. He also had eight rushing touchdowns.

Tebow, whom everyone including Jones, would agree has gone against stiffer competition, has completed 68.5 percent of his passes for 3,132 yards with 29 touchdowns and six interceptions. He also has 22 rushing touchdowns and 838 rushing yards.

Jones took some heat for his comments. Brennan tried to throw some water on the fire.

"I was a little surprised, but I think you have to know Coach Jones to know what he meant," Brennan said Monday. "I know how it was perceived by a lot of people. Trust me, I've heard Coach Jones say a lot of great things about Tim Tebow. He's got a ton of respect for Tim Tebow. I think what he was trying to say is that the type of passes we throw and the type of execution we're asked to do, Tim Tebow doesn't have to do that in his offense. But then I'm not asked to run over 225-pound linebackers either."

Jones clarified his comments Tuesday.

"Colt Brennan plays in an NFL passing game," Jones said at his weekly press conference. "You can dial it up and see that it is not a system. Tim Tebow's system is a college system. He is a great quarterback who'll probably win a national championship. He's competitive; he's all those things. But a lot of his stuff comes off little dives, fades, things he is not going to do in the National Football League. That's my point."

Still, the Heisman is an award for college players, not next-level players, and Tebow is the front-runner and most likely winner. Jones and Brennan have resigned themselves to that fact.

"I'll be honest with you, it would be a long shot [if Brennan won] because of the [national] media attention given to other players," Jones said. "He not only deserves to be there, but he deserves to win it."

Celebration worth it, Jones says

Count Jones among those who were in favor of Georgia's excessive celebration penalty for storming the field against Florida.

"I did see when his team got the 15-yard penalty [against Florida]," Jones said. "It's like us doing the Haka. It's worth the 15."

The Haka is a traditional dance of New Zealand's Maori people that is performed by the Hawaii players before games. The Warriors were booed when they performed it at Alabama. Some opponents' fans have been known to cheer the dance.

Academic achievement

Fifteen football players are among the 43 athletes set to graduate from Georgia this semester. One of those is Mitch Davis, a linebacker from 1990-93 who has come back to get his degree. The others are: Andy Bailey, Sean Bailey, Thomas Brown, A.J. Bryant, Brandon Coutu, Thomas Flowers, T.J. Gartrell, Chris Gaunder, Mikey Henderson, Marcus Howard, Jason Johnson, Justin Lyles, Drew Williams and Ben Wilson.

Richt among finalists

Georgia's Mark Richt is one of 10 finalists for the 2007 Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year award. The Division I-A candidates are, in alphabetical order: Rich Brooks, Kentucky; Sylvester Croom, Mississippi State; Paul Johnson, Navy; Mark Mangino, Kansas; Joe Paterno, Penn State; Richt; Rich Rodriguez, West Virginia; Jim Tressel, Ohio State; Tommy Tuberville, Auburn; and Ron Zook, Illinois.

Fans can vote for their coach at coachoftheyear.com. Fan votes account for 20 percent of the coach's final tally. The winner will be announced Dec. 29.

Schedules set

Georgia will hold its first practice in New Orleans on the evening of Dec. 26. Hawaii will fly out Christmas night and also hold its first practice Dec. 26.

The "Chuck-N-Duck" is not an NFL passing game. As evidence that no one esle ran it when Jones himself was run out of the league. Great for college, but won't win you many games at the NFL level. Brennan's good , but he can't hold Tebow's jock.

What did Tebow say about Brennan? I missed that one. Any link?

I think it's childish both ways with the trash talking, but I couldn't get over Jones saying that Brennan is an NFL style quarterback with the system he's in.... didn't June already try this in the NFL.... and what was the result?

I understand he's taking up for his player, but he's a hypocrite claiming his QB isn't in a system but others are. Every QB SHOULD be a product of what ever offense they are in. If they aren't, they don't need to play.

Beau J (12/6/2007)

I think it's childish both ways with the trash talking, but I couldn't get over Jones saying that Brennan is an NFL style quarterback with the system he's in.... didn't June already try this in the NFL.... and what was the result?

I understand he's taking up for his player, but he's a hypocrite claiming his QB isn't in a system but others are. Every QB SHOULD be a product of what ever offense they are in. If they aren't, they don't need to play.

Tebow didn't say anything bad about Brennan. He said "He's a good quarterback who runs a good system." I believe that to more a shot back at June Jones than AT Colt Brennan though.

Snakecharmer (12/6/2007)
Beau J (12/6/2007)

Tebow didn't say anything bad about Brennan. He said "He's a good quarterback who runs a good system." I believe that to more a shot back at June Jones than AT Colt Brennan though.

Why are people badmouthing him for it? He's obviously being sarcastic. People need to liven up. At least he didn't come back after what Jones said and say,"Well, I think I'm better than Colt. He's not that good". He made a smart azz comment back at him, and all of the sudden he needs to grow up??? Yes the taunting thing is old and will probably draw penalties next year, but he just an excited kid/player. He'll have to grow up one day.

Beau J (12/6/2007)
Snakecharmer (12/6/2007)
Beau J (12/6/2007)

Why are people badmouthing him for it? He's obviously being sarcastic. People need to liven up. At least he didn't come back after what Jones said and say,"Well, I think I'm better than Colt. He's not that good". He made a smart azz comment back at him, and all of the sudden he needs to grow up??? Yes the taunting thing is old and will probably draw penalties next year, but he just an excited kid/player. He'll have to grow up one day.

Agreed, lighten up, it's college. Oooooooo he taunted him oh snap. Even the NFL doesn't care, they just slap them on the wrist and fine them chump change.

bloodhoundz864 (12/6/2007)
Shouldn't June Jones be more worried about Georgia then Tim Tebow?:ermm:

They already know their going to get ripped by UGA. They're just happy to get there undefeated and get that huge paycheck which is more money than they've got in about 10 years. Its that season opener next year in The Swamp that he's worring about now. He wants to try and get into Tim's head so maybe we dont break 60 on them!:cool:

Snakecharmer (12/6/2007)

And about Tebow taunting the fans-- so what? I'd taunt LSU's fans if they got a hold of my cellphone number and made threatening phone calls too. It only looks bad IMO because we lost, but that's it. He taunted FSU because that idiot Hayes said that Tebow was going down and then was absolutely terrified to even tackle him, not to mention the fact that it's a huge rivalry game, of course they're going to taunt each other. The kid is 19 years old and he's on top of the world, he's allowed to be cocky. He was raised in a missionary family...I think he knows his limits. He's having fun and that's it.

It's extremely hypocritical to call Tebow classless for taunting LSU's fans and FSU's bench and then hold a position that defends UGA's entire team celebration in the Florida game. That's VERY hypocritical. What about Auburn's kicker who did the Gator chomp, or the countless other guys who do the Gator champ when playing against Florida?

Oh yea I forgot, it's only classless when a Florida player does it.

Excuses, excuse.. taunting is okay only if it's your team right.. Florida fans of any fan base can't say jack about anything regarding class and football.. You teams haven't shown class for 18 years. It's hypocritical to even point out another team taunting anyone if you are a gator fan. As we see above you easily can excuse any taunting since it's always warranted if it's a gator. LOL Again man you can't say jack about opposing teams and use to term classless. If you do then you say it one time for the other team and 10 times for your own. It was nice to finally see uga do something since uf has been taunting and being classless for decades. Another thing unlike tebow's taunting which should get penalties don't, other team's however do..

Jgator2113 (12/6/2007)

They already know their going to get ripped by UGA. They're just happy to get there undefeated and get that huge paycheck which is more money than they've got in about 10 years. Its that season opener next year in The Swamp that he's worring about now. He wants to try and get into Tim's head so maybe we dont break 60 on them!:cool:

Not so fast my friend.. I never count a win.. never.

Jgator2113 (12/6/2007)

Please. I'll count that one with all my rep on the line. They'll have a new QB at the helm and be 4000 miles from home. Heck, if we even play. Strong rumor is they are trying to get out of the game. If we don't win that game you won't ever hear from me again.

Jgator2113 (12/6/2007)
Jgator2113 (12/6/2007)

Please. I'll count that one with all my rep on the line. They'll have a new QB at the helm and be 4000 miles from home. Heck, if we even play. Strong rumor is they are trying to get out of the game. If we don't win that game you won't ever hear from me again.

No i was referring to counting a win for uga over hawaii in the sugar bowl.