Should we get cute and draft Long/McFadden and trade back into round one to draft Brohm?

he hate me

How?

Trade a second round pick in 2008 and a first round pick in 2009.

Why?

It's a steep price to pay, but it would make the Falcons relevant again.

In my humble opinion if Brohm is the man Petrino wants you don't take any chances. If Brohm is a franchise QB the talking heads won't be saying the Falcons reached in 10 years time. I seem to remember the Colts reaching for Dwight Freeney. How did that work out?

Let's wait and see how the QB's end up being rated. If Brohm falls behind Woodson, Ryan and Brennan, we could use our 2 2nd's and pick him up late in the 1st.

And seriously, we could pick up Tebow or someone next year with that first, and keep Redman in as QB, or whatever. Maybe Dixon in the 2nd. There are too many options right now to be throwing away a first round pick. Well, not throwing away, but you know.

Or we could hold our position after picking up Long or McFadden and still draft Brennan or Brohm or Woodson or JDB or Ryan or whichever of the top 5 QBs falls into place for our second 2nd round or even third round pick.

I'll go for that option.

We aren't good enough to be trading away most of our draft picks, and possibly future early draft picks for one QB when their collective skill sets are relatively close among the top 5 or 6 QBs. And besides, after what we are accustomed to, we might consider even a 4th or 5th rounder a franchise QB.

celtik

he hate me (12/5/2007)
How?

Trade a second round pick in 2008 and a first round pick in 2009.

Why?

It's a steep price to pay, but it would make the Falcons relevant again.

In my humble opinion if Brohm is the man Petrino wants you don't take any chances. If Brohm is a franchise QB the talking heads won't be saying the Falcons reached in 10 years time. I seem to remember the Colts reaching for Dwight Freeney. How did that work out?

New England is the ultimate team because they can basically do whatever they want on either side of the ball. They can play 3-4, or 4-3, they can run with power or can hit you with the cutback game, they can spread you out with the passing game or hit you with tighter, more traditional sets. NE is better than everyone else not because they have a good QB but because odds are, they're better than you at basically everything. The QB is only a piece. Is New England 12-0 without Brady? Probably not. Replace him with a competent QB and are they still a powerhouse? Probably so.

All you people saying we need a QB are flat out wrong. Anyone that thinks a QB will make the Falcons relevant again needs to take a look at all the other good NFL QB's supporting casts and ask if any of them have one as pitiful as Brohm/Brennan/Woodson/whoever would get here.

Vick was special in the sense that he could produce without a ton of help from his teammates and I think that's why people seem to have this oh a QB will make the Falcons good idea.

Gimmie a workhorse RB, relegate Norwood to the change of pace role where he belongs, get some help up front and bring in a FA QB that can manage the games. Championship teams run the ball and stop the run. Unless one of those QBs is going to help us do either of those things screw them. For all you people that'll reply oh well if you pass well it becomes easier to run...look at our roster. We're more than a QB away from passing well. WRs? Weak. Roddy? Overrated. TE? Weak. Compare that to the elite passing offenses in the NFL...we're YEARS from that.

Help up front + elite RB = wins. Taking McFadden 2nd and the best available linemen with the 33rd is the way to go.