Why we shouldn't draft a qb in the first round

I firmly believe that you don't build an offense around a quarterback, you build an offense for a quarterback. When you stick a quarterback into an offense that is full of wholes at other positions you are putting him in the worst possible circumstances and so he is likely to fail at first and even if he had the talent to make it in the Nfl then he might lose enough confidence that he won't ever develop into the quarterback he could have been. Just look at Alex Smith he gets stuc in an offense in San Fran with no receivers and he is really struggling to develop. David Carr was stuck in an offense in houston with nothing and we all know how that turned out. Despite being sorrounded by a ton of skill position talent Leinart isn't looking very good yet because his team can't protect him in the pocket. A perfect example of what I'm talking about is Buffalo, J.P. Losman was stuck in the offense before it was ready for him and he never developed whereas Trent Edwards has been put in now that the rest of the offense has been developed and is looking very good so far. Why do you think that the Bengals waited a year before putting in Carson Palmer. The steelers didn't draft big ben until the rest of the offense was ready for him and he became the youngest qb to win a superbowl. While I realize that there are many other factors here you can't denny the pattern we need to fix the rest of our offensive problems before any qb can hope to have succes in our offense.

this is why I would suggest drafting an OT with our first pick and then take the best available qb with our first second. We also need at least two free agent OL. Then We should take a power back in the 3rd or 4th round and he paired with Norwood and Snelling should allow us to be comfortable with our RB's. Then we let our QB develop for a year behind whichever of our Qb's we keep for next year.

Romo and Brady where also lat round picks. No reason to go nuts for a first round qb and pay some outrageous money for them to sit the bench. Our first round pick should be a starter that can come right in. Some form of lineman probably O though. We should wait until 3 or 4th round to draft a qb after other needs are met.

danight (12/5/2007)
Romo and Brady where also lat round picks. No reason to go nuts for a first round qb and pay some outrageous money for them to sit the bench. Our first round pick should be a starter that can come right in. Some form of lineman probably O though. We should wait until 3 or 4th round to draft a qb after other needs are met.

Romo was undrafted. The think about waiting into the later rounds is you don't hear about the ones who don't come up. What, 2 current players went late or not at all, and we have to think we are gonna be that lucky? If it was this easy, no one would even draft the first day.

Although I can't say I would be very disappointed if we went with Brohm with the first pick, selecting McFadden seems to be our most viable option. Petrino has repeatedly expressed the necessity of a power running. "Power" does not necessarily mean bulldozer, Jerome Bettis style football. "Power" means the ability to consistently get 4-5 yards on any given running play. If we have a platoon of McFadden and Norwood, you all can only imagine how much trouble opposing defenses would have. Also, a legitimate running game would take pressure off our QB, whoever it may be next year. As of now, we select 3rd. Assuming this keeps up, we can probably get McFadden since Miami and New England have options at RB. Finally, the main problem I have with drafting a QB first is the pressure the tag creates. Historically, the first round tag creates pressure on the pick which can eventually mean a bust (David Carr, Alex Smith, Joey Harrington). The fact that there have been successes (Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer) means selecting a QB first would not entirely horrible. Ultimately, I would say go with either McFadden or Brian Brohm with our first selection, preference towards McFadden.

McFadden or Long in the first. After that we take Brohm or another of the top 5 QBs available with our first 2nd round pick. If there's no run on QBs and they slide and the third QB is not selected until the 2nd round, then we go OL with our first 2nd round pick and wait until our third overall pick for our QB. He'll still be a franchise QB. Then in the 4th we go with another OL or MLB.

I like that approach among others, but I'm with you S&P in your philosophy.

celtik

steakandpotatoes (12/5/2007)
I firmly believe that you don't build an offense around a quarterback, you build an offense for a quarterback. When you stick a quarterback into an offense that is full of wholes at other positions you are putting him in the worst possible circumstances and so he is likely to fail at first and even if he had the talent to make it in the Nfl then he might lose enough confidence that he won't ever develop into the quarterback he could have been. Just look at Alex Smith he gets stuc in an offense in San Fran with no receivers and he is really struggling to develop. David Carr was stuck in an offense in houston with nothing and we all know how that turned out. Despite being sorrounded by a ton of skill position talent Leinart isn't looking very good yet because his team can't protect him in the pocket. A perfect example of what I'm talking about is Buffalo, J.P. Losman was stuck in the offense before it was ready for him and he never developed whereas Trent Edwards has been put in now that the rest of the offense has been developed and is looking very good so far. Why do you think that the Bengals waited a year before putting in Carson Palmer. The steelers didn't draft big ben until the rest of the offense was ready for him and he became the youngest qb to win a superbowl. While I realize that there are many other factors here you can't denny the pattern we need to fix the rest of our offensive problems before any qb can hope to have succes in our offense.

at the same time if you never get a QB to compliment the receivers, it is hard for the whole offense to come into their own as a whole. A QB needs recievers and an o-line to help him develop(along with proper coaching), the recievers with proper coaching needs a o-line to protect the QB so they can get the opprotunity to catch passes. so technically we need to build a team based on a strong oline and a running back before we can work on a young QB. seeing as this takes time for all these things to come together and to get the right players for your system, i dont expect this team to be a contender year in and out for a couple more years.

sporkdevil (12/5/2007)

Romo was undrafted. The think about waiting into the later rounds is you don't hear about the ones who don't come up. What, 2 current players went late or not at all, and we have to think we are gonna be that lucky? If it was this easy, no one would even draft the first day.

I agree,what are the chances that we get that lucky?

I say we can go about rebuilding our o-line 2 ways, through freeagency or through the draft. the problem with freeagency is that they are usually brought in to do their job immediately and they usually arent here for the long run as they tend to be old individuals. The problem with the draft is that you are depending on a young player to learn the system and produce along with the expectations that come with higher round status. If we can rebuild our o-line through freeagency, that would give us the luxery to take a mcfadden or a brohm with our first pick and build our depth in the o-line in later rounds. Seeing as there is no top-notched QB headed for freeagency, if we pick an o-lineman in the first, we will still become stuck with what we have. Thats the prob when you rebuild a team, it takes more than one year and one draft. However, if we pick an o-lineman in the first, maybe we can persue the likes of mcnabb seeing as he might be headed out of philly. and say what you want about him, he is better than anybody we have on our roster.

celtiksage (12/5/2007)
McFadden or Long in the first. After that we take Brohm or another of the top 5 QBs available with our first 2nd round pick. If there's no run on QBs and they slide and the third QB is not selected until the 2nd round, then we go OL with our first 2nd round pick and wait until our third overall pick for our QB. He'll still be a franchise QB. Then in the 4th we go with another OL or MLB.

I like that approach among others, but I'm with you S&P in your philosophy.

celtik

I think this would be the best way to draft next year as well. I say draft BPA (not a QB) with our first pick and take our chances later on. I don't see that many teams picking a QB with their first round pick, which could greatly help us in the second round.