Will anybody great or good be in free agency?

pdracox

Are there any star players who contracts are up and that will be in free agency in 2008. Sure as heck could use a highlight WR to lead the other WR's, and i love Dunn but an explosive running back be nice thats younger. Definately need a QB but hopefully take care of that in draft.

Does anybody know what players will be in free agency as of 08?

Max Starks, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers

Starks is young and massive, and another Pittsburgh player that may leave the Steel City. He s 25 and is listed at 6 7 while weighing 337 pounds. His size and age will make him a desired player on many team s list. A top tier tackle will always garner interest and Starks may lead the free agent class at the spot because of the high level of play he has shown on the field.

Sounds good to me....

Floyd Womack, UFA, Seattle Seahawks

A big, experienced guard, Womack could get a decent offer from any team missing out on a top tier target like Faneca. If Womack isn t the outright starter in Seattle this season, look for him to find work elsewhere with an expanded role guaranteed.

How about a porkchop?

draftjunky (12/5/2007)

Starks is young and massive, and another Pittsburgh player that may leave the Steel City. He s 25 and is listed at 6 7 while weighing 337 pounds. His size and age will make him a desired player on many team s list. A top tier tackle will always garner interest and Starks may lead the free agent class at the spot because of the high level of play he has shown on the field.

Sounds good to me....

He only has 2 starts this season - and that was only because Marvel Smith got injured and he had to step into the starting lineup. He was beaten out by Colon for the starting job before the beginning of the season.

Shouldn't a top tier tackle at least be in the starting lineup for his own team?

I'm just wondering but I've been reading that Bob Sanders is going to be a FA. I'm just curious as to where people have found this out and if he is going to be a RFA or UFA. Thanks. Also if he is a UFA and the FO doesn't make a serious run at signing him I don't know what I'll do....

billywitchdoctor (12/5/2007)
I'm just wondering but I've been reading that Bob Sanders is going to be a FA. I'm just curious as to where people have found this out and if he is going to be a RFA or UFA. Thanks. Also if he is a UFA and the FO doesn't make a serious run at signing him I don't know what I'll do....

He's set to go into free agency if Indy doesn't resign him, but don't expect him to make it to free agency.

BlacksburgHokie (12/5/2007)
draftjunky (12/5/2007)

Its a young guy with size and time in the league.You dont get 25 year studs that start at tackle in freeagency.Doesnt mean he cant start and be a huge upgrade from tyson clabo.Im pretty sure tyson clabo will not be mentioned on big freeangency players.......ever.

Sounds good to me....

He only has 2 starts this season - and that was only because Marvel Smith got injured and he had to step into the starting lineup. He was beaten out by Colon for the starting job before the beginning of the season.

Shouldn't a top tier tackle at least be in the starting lineup for his own team?

Dem Birds Can Fly (12/5/2007)

He's set to go into free agency if Indy doesn't resign him, but don't expect him to make it to free agency.

So is he voiding his contract or is it just expiring? Also, I think that he very well may end up hitting the FA market. They have 3 big names on offense that are due to hit the market, and we all saw how bad Manning looked when he was missing a couple of those pieces. Dallas Clark, Jake Scott and Ryan Lilja are all UFA's after seasons end. Let's not forget that they invested a whole lot of money into Freeney recently too.

Bob Sanders is set to be UFA this season. I think Indy will try to re-sign him, but there are 2 things to factor in making that happen.

1) Does Sanders want to re-sign in Indy for less?

Indianapolis has major money tied up into players, and after the Freeney deal how much can they giv Bob Sanders? He is the best defensive player in the NFL, and will get CB money if he tests the market.

2) Who is Indy's top priority?

Going back to the point above about Indy having alot of money tied up already, they also have FOUR top tier UFA players this year. Who is the most important? The key ingredient of their secondary? One of the best TEs in the NFL? (Dallas Clark) Or 2 major pieces that keep manning clean on Sundays? (Jake Scott & Ryan Lilja)

Indy already lost a major piece of their OL last year. They cant afford to lose BOTH guards, so one of them will be a priority at least.

Sure keeping Sanders seems like the "must do" move, but does Indy think so? They replaced both starting CBs this offseason, and didnt miss a beat. They also let starting S players go recently and saw no drop off. Will Indy get cocky and think they dont need Sanders and use the $$$ elsewhere?

Dallas Clark is a very important piece of that offense. I am sure coach Manning would want him back. He wont be cheap though probably. I would love to bring him here and waive goodbye to Crumpler. Clark is amazing.

I would be after Clark and/or Sanders. Indy wont be able to re-sign them all. So if one of the OGs is signed for sure, that means at least one of the remaining 3 big names should see UFA.

With Indy replacing DBs with ease in recent years, it just might be Bob Sanders....If it is, I sure hope we are in the hunt for him.

Go Back 2 College (12/5/2007)
The question is not will there be any quality free agents available.

The question is will we be able to sign any of them?

Quality in free agency is always expensive and we don't have a lot of cap room.

Unless we get the money back from Vick which looks doubtful.

That is true, but let's not forget that since we are not paying YKW his salary anymore we'll get the cap relief from that. Also, I expect us to part ways with some vets and some may retire, like Gandy. Who I belive has something like a 7.5m cap hit, I think anyways so don't take my word for it. Also the cap limit goes up something like 5mil+, again don't take my word for it. So we won't be in as bad shape as it may sound (atleast I don't think so.)

FalconMama (12/5/2007)
Indy just started contract talks with Bob Sanders on Monday. If they cant reach a agreement I'm sure he'll be franchised and a contract will be worked out at a later date.

Bob aint going nowhere.

man, didnt hear that...that stinks. Oh well, lets steal Dallas Clark from them then! :w00t:

edit:

I got to thinking about your reply. IF Indy cant come to terms w/ Sanders he could hit the market. For some reason I think all DBs get franchised under the same tag amount. So for them to franchise Sanders it could be the salary of the top 3 DBs (including CBs) in the NFL. I dont see how IND could afford that with their payroll and upcoming UFAs. They would probably have to pay him 7-10M for that one season.

I know they group RBs and FBs together in the same way.

1989fan (12/5/2007)
FalconMama (12/5/2007)
Indy just started contract talks with Bob Sanders on Monday. If they cant reach a agreement I'm sure he'll be franchised and a contract will be worked out at a later date.

Bob aint going nowhere.

man, didnt hear that...that stinks. Oh well, lets steal Dallas Clark from them then! :w00t:

I wouldn't mind that at all. Dallas Clark is so versitile, he's a TE but he works from the slot position a lot. How is his blocking though? Petrino seems to use the TE more as a blocker than a receiver.

1989fan (12/5/2007)
FalconMama (12/5/2007)

Bob aint going nowhere.

Right, he's one of the best receiving TE's in the league other than KW2, Gates, Gonzo and Shockey. By getting him we can trade crump for a 4th round pick and a bag of cheetos and crunch n munch.

I'd love for that to happen but I'm sure Clark coming here is a pipe dream.

Go Back 2 College (12/5/2007)
The question is not will there be any quality free agents available.

The question is will we be able to sign any of them?

Quality in free agency is always expensive and we don't have a lot of cap room.

Unless we get the money back from Vick which looks doubtful.

That is true, but let's not forget that since we are not paying YKW his salary anymore we'll get the cap relief from that. Also, I expect us to part ways with some vets and some may retire, like Gandy. Who I belive has something like a 7.5m cap hit, I think anyways so don't take my word for it. Also the cap limit goes up something like 5mil+, again don't take my word for it. So we won't be in as bad shape as it may sound (atleast I don't think so.)

Technically Vick is still on the roster. It's not about the money we were GOING to pay him. It's about the bonus money that we've ALREADY paid him. THAT still counts against the salary cap unless Vick pays it back.

Then when you add in the cap hits from the offseason cleaning we could be in worse shape than I thought.

plus Bob Sanders contract will be higher than Troy Polamalu(sp), I think he's the highest paid S in the league. His contract was a 5 year 33 mill contract. I'm sure Bob will demand atleast 35-36 mill with a 17 or 18mill bonus. When you factor in DeAngelo's asking price that's a lot of money tied up in DB's.

pdracox (12/5/2007)
Are there any star players who contracts are up and that will be in free agency in 2008. Sure as heck could use a highlight WR to lead the other WR's, and i love Dunn but an explosive running back be nice thats younger. Definately need a QB but hopefully take care of that in draft.

Does anybody know what players will be in free agency as of 08?

:DTHERES ALWAYS GOOD AND GREAT PLAYERS IN FREE AGENCY.THE KEY HERE IS TO IDENTIFY THE ONES WHO WANT AND INTEND TO CONTINUE BEING GREAT OR GOOD. TOO MANY OF THEM FEEL THAT THEY HAVE MADE THEIR NAMES AND NOW INTEND TO CASH IN ON THE BIG PAYDAY. YOU HAVE TO DO YOUR HOME WORK. IN THIS AREA YOU'LL NEED MORE THAN GAME FILM. IF YOU DO YOUR HOMEWORK RIGHT. YOU CAN TURN A TEAM AROUND IN NO TIME. JUST GO BY THE FILM ........ YOU'RE SETTING YOURSELF UP.

..........................aka....................................REV2000:D

regarding Bob Sanders (via ESPN)

" The Colts have quietly started discussing a contract extension for free safety Bob Sanders, who will be eligible for unrestricted free agency in the spring. The talks are in the very early stages and a deal isn't close yet, but Indianapolis isn't about to let an impact defender such as Sanders escape as a free agent.

:crazy:

Alan Faneca is a free agent this year. I would LOVE to bring him in to play left guard and move Blalock to right guard.

What about signing Starks at RT, moving Weiner to LT for a year (he's a better pass blocker than run blocker anyways) and draft a LT to train up under Weiner? If there was anyone I'd want as a mentor, Weiner'd be a good choice. The guy's a flat out technician in pass protection.

Direwolf