do you really think we NEED to draft Mcfadden in the first round??

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darren McFadden

RB, Arkansas

War Room analysis

Strengths: McFadden is a great athlete with the quickness, agility, balance and speed rare for a big, strong back. Is a naturally instinctive runner who sees the field and consistently finds the correct hole. Shows a deceptive burst to get through the hole, and makes sharp cuts. Follows blockers, and cuts off them nicely. Is surprisingly nifty and agile in traffic, and shows the strength and balance to break tackles -- always gains yardage after contact. Is deceptively explosive; seems to glide and before you know it is outrunning the entire defense. Despite a lot of personnel changes from last year, McFadden stepped up and carried the offense in '07.

Weaknesses: Lacks elite, Barry Sanders-like elusiveness, and won't make as many NFL defenders miss. Must improve ball security in traffic. As a pass blocker, must improve technique and desire. Rarely is utilized as a receiver, and must improve route-running skills. Needs to add about 10-15 pounds to be a feature NFL back.

Bottom line: McFadden, a junior in '07, is expected to leave school nest spring and is sure to be a first-round pick. He consistently impresses scouts with his ability to punish would-be tacklers and gain yardage after contact. McFadden has the tools to carry an NFL offense as a runner but must improve his pass blocking and receiving skills to maximize his talent.

Snelling isnt even in the same ballpark.

If he is on the board when we pick then I do think we need to pick him. IMO and many others he is the best player available this draft. I really don't think Norwood is capable of carrying the load of the offense in the NFL. I wish he could because then we'd probably be able to make it with Norwood/Snelling, thus saving us a draft pick allowing us to fill in another one of our many needs.

I could be happy with Jake Long,I just don't want a QB at number #1.Would prefer McFadden just because it might help bring back some fans to the dome sooner,.Ultimately the best idea would be to move down and get more picks.To find offensive players that fit Petrino's system. The failure to insert Norwood as starter means he wants another type back.I know it's a long shot but what is going on with Micheal Bush in Oakland?3rd string behing Fargus and Jordan He might be a cheap pick up,and a good change of pace with Norwood.But the main thing is it would let the Falcons work on the much bigger needs at OL DL QB more effectively.

Same Ol Falcons (12/5/2007)
No

You don't take Norwood part II

There is a guy tht won't cost a lot and is a great blocker and straight ahead runner named Jacob Hester that will be available late

He will be available late just like snelling.Wonder why?Could be if you take on linebackers game in game out in the nfl you lose.Power and speed > power.

No, we absolutely do NOT "need" McFadden. Everybody is in love with McFadden because of what Adrian Peterson has been doing in Minnesota. They don't realize Minnesota has a good OL. Chester Taylor is averaging 4.8ypc behind that OL, and nobody I know would consider him a good RB. If we don't have the OL creating holes, I don't care if it was a Barry Sanders/Payton/Juice/Brown clone created in a lab, our running game will still suck. Only difference is that we would get a big play here and there, but the OL is what creates the consistency for RB's. The night before the NFL Draft I will be saying a prayer to keep us from using a high pick on a RB.

Somebody finally says something that indicates

Norwood might be comparable to McFadden. This

is lost on most posters because we already have

him and the coach doesn't use him. What could

Norwood do behind Minnesota's line? If we draft

McFadden we should trade Norwood to somebody

who will use him. I say get him a line and stand

by to be amazed.

If the Falcons don't draft Darren McFadden, we are truly on of the most idiotic franchises... and we need to fire Mckay ASAP.

McFadden can reenergize this team... We can draft a QB in the second or 3rd round.

Get McFadden a rare talent, like Peterson. We need impact players& right now we don t have many.

LADBABY (12/5/2007)
Somebody finally says something that indicates

Norwood might be comparable to McFadden. This

is lost on most posters because we already have

him and the coach doesn't use him. What could

Norwood do behind Minnesota's line? If we draft

McFadden we should trade Norwood to somebody

who will use him. I say get him a line and stand

by to be amazed.

F'n right....thats what I thought all year

pzummo (12/5/2007)
No, we absolutely do NOT "need" McFadden. Everybody is in love with McFadden because of what Adrian Peterson has been doing in Minnesota. They don't realize Minnesota has a good OL. Chester Taylor is averaging 4.8ypc behind that OL, and nobody I know would consider him a good RB. If we don't have the OL creating holes, I don't care if it was a Barry Sanders/Payton/Juice/Brown clone created in a lab, our running game will still suck. Only difference is that we would get a big play here and there, but the OL is what creates the consistency for RB's. The night before the NFL Draft I will be saying a prayer to keep us from using a high pick on a RB.

Is it either or?What if we get some talent in freeagency.Our guys we have start to improve.Most of petersons magic happens 10 yards down field.You dont pass up game breakers.I understand wanting a line but a lot of the best lines out there are not highly drafted.

Go Back 2 College (12/5/2007)
We need o-line help.

McFadden is special. He won't have an Adrian Peterson year if we got him because we don't have the same o-line that the Vikings do.

But you don't pass on talent like that.

No, you don't ... This is a very special guy, and our team needs a playmaker just like him.

Nope.

He sure looks like stud in college, but we need to focus on fixing the things that have hurt us the most.

OL is the greatest need, closely followed by a young QB. Without solid fundamentals in these areas we're doomed to be bottom feeders again.

With better OL play, Norwood/Ovie/Snelling get chances to move the ball. OMG: we might actually have a running game that will prevent the defenses from teeing off on our QB!

With better OL play, Redman gets an extra second or two to hit open receivers.

Notice I didn't mention Joey or Byron....if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

So ignore the OL like we do every year? That sounds like a great idea. Identify a problem, then ignore it and hope it goes away all by itself. How often has that worked for you?

How long do you expect McFadden to "energize" this team when he's consistently getting hit before reaching the LOS? It's not like he's Moses parting the Red Sea all by himself, he still needs an OL in front of him opening up holes. If you disagree, watch Auburn vs Arkansas.

the_dane (12/5/2007)
We need o-line help.

McFadden is special. He won't have an Adrian Peterson year if we got him because we don't have the same o-line that the Vikings do.

No, you don't ... This is a very special guy, and our team needs a playmaker just like him.

What makes it more interesting is that McFadden is pretty much a house hold name around Atlanta.

Drafting him will sell tickets. Don't think for one second that this will escape Arthur Blank.

Unfortunately, drafting an O-Linemen will only excite the diehards who truly understand what the problem is with the Falcons.

For me, I don't like drafting for o-lineman in the first round. Second round maybe, but never the first round. My rule has always been to draft talent at the skill positions in the first to second rounds. A talent like McFadden doesn't come around that often and we'd be stupid to let him get past us.

I know we need o-line help badly, but we've got so many picks this year we can afford to get them later.

the_dane (12/5/2007)
We need o-line help.

What makes it more interesting is that McFadden is pretty much a house hold name around Atlanta.

Drafting him will sell tickets. Don't think for one second that this will escape Arthur Blank.

Unfortunately, drafting an O-Linemen will only excite the diehards who truly understand what the problem is with the Falcons.

That's what the fans want to see, high ticket sales

"Your team sucks"

"So, My team sells more tickets"

We're the ticket champions my friend.........and we'll keep on selling till the end