Florida Gator starter, ex-Gator jailed on battery charge.

A University of Florida football player and a former Gator player were charged with battery after a restaurant employee told officers they harassed him when he said they needed to pay for a bag of potato chips early Wednesday, police and jail records showed.

Starting defensive end Jermaine A. Cunningham, 19, and ex-Gator linebacker Jonathan Rashad Demps, 20, were being held without bond on a misdemeanor battery charge at the jail early Wednesday, according to jail reports.

An employee at Jimmy John's restaurant, 1724 W. University Ave., told police the two men began to cause a disturbance after he told them they needed to pay for a bag of potato chips, a police report stated. The two became verbally abusive toward the man and hit him with a sandwich and empty soda cups. The incident occurred at about 2:15 a.m.

The two fled shortly before police arrived, according to officers, but were located soon after on the UF campus.

http://www.gainesvillesun.com/article/2007...EAKING/71205018

No cappy, they are thugs.....They show no respect, humillity, or common decency, and were hateful to a perfect stranger....and UF's team is littered with players like this...Harvin comes to mind, very quickly. Tebow is a class act, give or take the jorts, but he's probably the exception, rather than the rule.

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida defensive end Jermaine Cunningham and a former teammate were arrested Wednesday on a misdemeanor battery charge because they allegedly hit a restaurant worker with a sandwich and cups, police said.

Former LSU track star and Olympic hopeful Xavier Carter also was charged with resisting arrest without violence, a misdemeanor.

Cunningham, Carter and former Gators linebacker Jon Demps were released Wednesday afternoon on their own recognizance. They were ordered to have no contact with the alleged victim.

Carter also was ordered to have no contact with Demps or Cunningham.

Gainesville police said Cunningham and Demps were arrested after a restaurant employee told officers the players harassed him when told they needed to pay for a bag of chips. The two became verbally abusive toward the man and hit him with a sandwich and empty soda cups, according to a police report.

Demps and Cunningham fled the area. They were later found on the Florida campus.

An officer saw Carter walking with Cunningham. According to police, Carter ran when a patrol car's lights started flashing.

Carter was arrested a few minutes later.

Florida coach Urban Meyer, whose ninth-ranked Gators play Michigan in the Capital One Bowl on New Year's Day, said he would wait for more details before deciding whether to punish Cunningham.

"Once I know the whole thing, I will let you know what we are going to do, how serious it was," Meyer said. "I am kind of getting some reports. Complete ignorance is what it sounds like, which I guess in my world I have to deal with a lot of ignorance."

Cunningham, a sophomore, is tied for the team lead with 6½ sacks and is third with 62 tackles.

Demps was a sophomore at Florida last year, but left the team after the season.

Meyer, who has had nine players arrested since January, said he spoke to his team about making better decisions.

"I talked to them about it, but I am not going to be out chasing them around and all that," Meyer said. "What I have to do is really develop and recruit guys I think are going to be going to bed at night. I was also in college at one time and know what goes on. We have to keep teaching them.

"I will either eliminate them or discipline them and try not to let it happen again."

mr pickle (12/5/2007)
No cappy, they are thugs.....They show no respect, humillity, or common decency, and were hateful to a perfect stranger....and UF's team is littered with players like this...Harvin comes to mind, very quickly. Tebow is a class act, give or take the jorts, but he's probably the exception, rather than the rule.

Please, sounds like nothing but rival fan garbage to me. I'd love to know where you get the idea that Harvin is a thug. Hope you can back your statements up with some sort of proof...

Wasn't Harvin banned from participating in HS football his senior year, because he got into some sort of fight? THe assault rifles being fired off and brandished, thefts, fights and threats reported, which quickly get hushed up. I don't give a crap about drinking...or scooters...or traffic violations..just stay away from guns/fights/threatening behavior. That constitutes thuggishness IMO.

I really don't mean it to bring UF down...just the team is largely thuggish, and has a VERY entitled attitude...all of it allowed by Urban Meyer.

mr pickle (12/6/2007)
Wasn't Harvin banned from participating in HS football his senior year, because he got into some sort of fight? THe assault rifles being fired off and brandished, thefts, fights and threats reported, which quickly get hushed up. I don't give a crap about drinking...or scooters...or traffic violations..just stay away from guns/fights/threatening behavior. That constitutes thuggishness IMO.

I really don't mean it to bring UF down...just the team is largely thuggish, and has a VERY entitled attitude...all of it allowed by Urban Meyer.

No, he wasn't banned from football his senior year, it was track and due to a fight in a basketball game with a rival team. Further, he's been nothing but a model citizen at Florida and doesn't warrant the "thug label".

You speak of multiples on others where it's simply not the case. Ronnie Wilson fired off 1 assault rifle and the only player to have done so btw and was promptly kicked off the team for the entire season. That's not "being allowed" if you ask me.

Then you speak of "fights", "thefts". The only other incident was Tony Joiner and that was classified as a misunderstanding by the owner of the business. I'm sure people will say "sure it was" and all of that but do you really know differently? That said, Meyer sat him and stripped him of captain status which is certainly punishment for "bad judgment".

While I certainly don't condone the stupid actions of Demps and Cunningham, is it really worth arresting someone and calling it battery for throwing a sub sandwich?

I don't think it warrants a thug label and I especially don't think it's fair to say Meyer "allows" this stuff to take place especially when he's very quick to discipline players. It's not like FSU or Miami, now that's where the thugs are...

Every team has its problems! At UGA it is underage drinking. At USC it is Steven Garcia. At Miami and Louisville, it was Willie Williams. This is all magnified and villanized by the media and fans. A lot of times we forget that these are kids. Kids make mistakes! Hopefully these kids will go the way of DeMario Minter and not Williams or PacMan Jones!

capologist (12/6/2007)

Then you speak of "fights", "thefts". The only other incident was Tony Joiner and that was classified as a misunderstanding by the owner of the business. I'm sure people will say "sure it was" and all of that but do you really know differently? That said, Meyer sat him and stripped him of captain status which is certainly punishment for "bad judgment".

Wasn't it reported that the owner of the business had quite a few death threats thrown his way. We really don't know any differently but it's not that hard to put 2 and 2 together.

I'm sure the owner of the business didn't misunderstand anything.

It's not just UF athletes, it's most athletes. They screw up and get away with it a lot of the time because they can run fast or hit hard. It's sickening.

falkonx7 (12/6/2007)

Wasn't it reported that the owner of the business had quite a few death threats thrown his way. We really don't know any differently but it's not that hard to put 2 and 2 together.

I'm sure the owner of the business didn't misunderstand anything.

It's not just UF athletes, it's most athletes. They screw up and get away with it a lot of the time because they can run fast or hit hard. It's sickening.

If he did it was from some overzealous fans, however, the owner wasn't there when the incident occurred and arrived late. The attending employee wasn't aware that an arrangement had been made between Joiner and the owner. Since Joiner paid the bill, he hardly "stole" anything so I fully buy into the misunderstanding explanation.

That said, I do agree that athletes get special treatment and expect it which is wrong IMO...

g6773a (12/6/2007)
Every team has its problems! At UGA it is underage drinking. At USC it is Steven Garcia. At Miami and Louisville, it was Willie Williams. This is all magnified and villanized by the media and fans. A lot of times we forget that these are kids. Kids make mistakes! Hopefully these kids will go the way of DeMario Minter and not Williams or PacMan Jones!

Please don't do the junk of comparing wrongs to make things right.. that's just wrong IMO.. yes there are problems all over, but don't compare being pulled over on a moped for making an incorrect term to carrying assault weapons in the back of your car, buying drugs, getting shot, and getting into an on the field fight.. not even close.. you need to look at each problem and there are some universities with more severe problems.. life and death ones..