mock --> FULL NFL Round 1, FALCONS round 2-7, FA hopefuls

1989Fan

Before I get started, I did implement a trade that I have discussed before. Not that I think it WILL happen, but I would love for it to happen...and since mocks are all speculation anyways...why not.

Cleveland receives: ATL pick #4 (round 1).

Atlanta receives: Brady Quinn, QB, 2009 round 1, pick #84 (round 3)

NFL Round One

1) Miami Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College I know they have Beck from last year. BUT, they haven t scored a passing TD with him, and the heat will be on MIA to make a franchise pick with the #1. I was starting to lean to Dorsey, but not now that his knees are banged. Scouts say Ryan continues to rise (why?) so I pick him as the guy to emerge as the top QB. I expect alot of debate here, but keep an eye on this pick as the draft nears. I think they will try to trade down, but like almost all #1's, be unsuccessful in their attempts.

2) New England (from SF) Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU They follow the same tactic that was VERY successful for them in the past. Take a dominating college DT, and move him to DE in the 3-4. Too bad Dorsey will be replacing the guy who did it first due to his injury issues. (Seymour). Dorsey would be unfair on that DL.

3) New York Jets Chris Long, DE, Virginia They need help on that 3-4, and Long is an amazing, and underrated prospect. Lets just say IMO, he is a lot better than last seasons DE crop. I wouldnt rule out McFadeen by any means either.

4) Cleveland (from ATL) Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas CLE has a top 5-10 offense. Now add McFadden, and watch the newest super high powered offense take hold of the NFL. Anderson, Edwards, Winslow, DMC and a top notch OL& ..my lord!

5) St. Louis Jake Long, OT, Michigan Pace is getting old, we know. Long will be a terror on the right side. That gives them options. Play him there and get him ready for the left side in a year or 2, or just let him go to the pro bowl as a RT for 10 years.

6) Cincinnati Sedric Ellis, DT, USC The Bengals need help everywhere on D. Ellis is easily the best defensive value, and they could use a monster inside. He will help whatever LB s they find elevate their game.

7) Oakland DeSean Jackson, WR, California Jackson helps this anemic offense in 3 ways. As a WR, and as a top tier KR to get that offense in better field position. KR abilities are becoming very desired, so this 4.2X runner will cash in.

8) Kansas City Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State Clady might be the best LT in this draft. He is big and agile. Exacly what the Chiefs need at that hole they call OT. He will rise on the boards and go top 10.

9) Baltimore Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville Baltimore needs a QB. You can only bandaid the position so long. They also need a guy with smarts who wont make dumb decisions. They could also look at a guy like Harvey or Gholston IF they lose Suggs to FA.

10) New Orleans Malcolm Jenkins, CB, OSU If there Is on thing OSU does, it is making top notch DB s. Jenkins is no different. He would be able to start year one, and give them future hope @ CB with their #2 pick last season.

11) Houston Kenny Phillips, DB, Miami U. I know HOU needs other positions. But the reality is that you draft for BPA in a position that could be improved. Phillips shouldn t even fall this far. He will allow them to bring the SS in the box to help their run woes.

12) Denver Dan Conner, LB, Penn State Conner can play all over the line. Moving DJ inside was a patch for DEN. Conner is great for DEN because he is quick, hits hard, and can play all 3 spots in a pinch.

13) Carolina Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State Gholston would be a steal here. With Peppers struggling, you have to wonder if it is because Ruckers fell off. Gholston would allow for a book end DE opposite Peppers, or his replacement if CAR feels he is asking more than he is worth.

14) Chicago Keith Rivers, OLB, USC Rivers would make an amazing cover 2 WLB. He should be able to come in as a rookie and impact. He is very fast, and would be great for Lovie.

15) Lawrence Jackson, DE, USC Another USC guy off the board. PHI needs major help @ DE. Jackson would be a great replacement for the overrated Javon Kearse. It would free them up tons of future cap, as well as improve the position from year one.

16) Washington Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida Washington needs a pass rusher on the line. The Landry pick surprised last season with this need, and they try to fill the need with the super athletic Harvey.

17) Arizona Calais Campbell, DE, Miami U. He is great in terms of measurables, but has disappointed as a Jr. He would be better to stay another year and try to get his numbers back up, but I think he follows his hype and leaves for the draft. He could be a top 5 pick next season though IMO.

18) Buffalo James Laurinitis, ILB, Ohio State Animal Jr is great value here. Some will say no way he falls, but it happens. Look at Poz last season. Allows BUF to move Poz back to WLB were he will be great, and have LB dominance they have been missing in recent years.

19) Minnesota Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky - I do think Woodson will fall. I don t think Ryan has been better, but for some reason he is all the rave. TJ is good enough to start the season, with Woodson possibly taking over as a rookie. They could use a WR or DE as well, but the value is best with Ryan. MIN is a few small peices away from winning, and the biggest piece is QB play.

20) Detroit Justin King, CB, Penn State They are learning the hard way you cant just not have good CBs. King as a great prospect, and could end up the top CB of the draft. I expect him to rise after workouts and interviews if/when he declares.

21) Dallas (from CLE) Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida Jenkins is a big CB, and a playmaker. DAL doesn t have many holes, but Anthony Henry is one of them. They can let him walk and upgrade the position with talented youth.

22) Tennessee Adarius Bowman, WR, Oklahoma State OK, I think Young is just horrible, but he will get excuses at least for another season. TEN tries to make him better with a big WR who can go out and get his bad passes.

23) San Diego Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU Jackson should declare after the LSU season. They could be in for a setback after this season, so cash in on your stock Tyson. Would be great immediate depth for SD, who has a knack for drafting good players on the line.

24) Seattle Ray Rice, RB, Rutgers What?! No Jon Stewart? That s right. Rice will be the 2nd best RB to enter, because I don t think Mendenhall goes. Alexander is old, and slowing.

25) Tampa Bay Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma If Rice where he they might consider him, but they also need WR help. Kelly is a big guy and a compliment to the ageless Galloway. Hopefully for them, they can draft a good WR this time.

26) New York Giants Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona They have one good CB in Ross, but Webster does seem to be the answer on the other side. Cason had an amazing string of games to bring his stock back up. He is also a good KR.

27) Jacksonville Quentin Groves, DE, Auburn Groves could be a better 3-4 OLB, but will make a good pass rusher next to Stroud and Henderson as well. Word is he is going 4.4x forties, so he could rise.

28) Pittsburgh DeJuan Tribble, CB, Boston College Pitt could stand to upgrade Ike Taylor. He is bad since getting his money, and McFaden cant stay healthy. Tribble slips some because of his injury, but he is a good CB. He can also replace Rossum @ KR.

29) Green Bay Reggie Smith, DB, Oklahoma They have a talented and Young team. Smith adds another dynamic DB who can play S or CB. I tell you, if they don t have a dropoff @ the QB spot this team will win another SB with this young cast.

30) San Fransisco (from IND) Early Doucet, WR, LSU 49ers are horrible on offense, and they have little in terms of WRs. Doucet would start as a rookie, and give Alex Smith something to throw at& .if he keeps his job.

31) Dallas Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss Oher is a top 5 talent, but comes with a lot of risk. I wonder if they would take Cherilus over Oher even, but go with Ohers potential. They have good OTs, but Adams is old (and a UFA) and Columbo is injured all the time.

Falcons round 2-7

35) Alex Boone, OT, Ohio State This guy is who I want @ LT. I think he will be a top tier OT. He is big, strong and comes from a great program. IMO he is good enough to start @ RT as a rookie, and either move over in a year to replace Weiner, or just dominate the right side for years to come.

42) (HOU) Frank Okam, DT, Texas Big DT. I think the FO will make Lewis the starter in 08. I also think Babs is good enough to start. However, depth at the position is critical. Lewis can play either side, so he and Okam could be an awesome run stopping duo. With one good DT added, our depth will be good. A healthy Patterson ('07 UDFA) next season will make a fine DT rotation.

67) Kevin Smith, RB, Central Florida This guy is an underrated RB. He is starting to get noticed a lot more recently, but I think he and Norwood would be a great 1-2 punch. He is starter material IMO. He MIGHT creep up on draft day, but for now he should be there early 3rd.

84) (CLE) J Lemon, ILB, Illinois He is a very good ILB. I cant quite see why he isnt ranked higher, but he seems to grade out to a mid round pick. He is impressive statistically, and seems to cover the field well.

97) (Comp) Jason Jones, DE, Eastern Michigan - We could use real depth behind Abraham. Jones would be a good understudy and backup to our elite, but fragile DE. Not going to call him our future starter, but should grow into solid depth at least.

101) Adam Kraus, OG, Michigan Another mauler on the MICH OL that gets overlooked. He is big, and can add some more mass. He wouldn t be a day one starter likely, but he would be a good fit for our scheme.

133) Art Carmody, K, Louisville We NEED a kicker. The top kickers have been going in rounds 3-5 generally. I don t think we have a Kaedig or Crosby type of guy this year, but Carmody is very solid, and I would be happy to see us address the issue properly for once.

165) Darrell Blackman, RB/KR, NC State I have to give props to the hometown kid (Williamsport, PA). He came from the HS here, and went to NC St. He hasn t tore it up as a RB, but has been a stellar KR/PR. He would give us additional RB depth as well as another option for KR. Named All ACC in KR over MB favorite Eddie Royal.

189) (PIT) Brian Witherspoon, CB, Stillman - This is a name I noticed getting some recognition since my last mock w him in. He is a small school prospect. Elite speed (4.2x) and good size. McKay loves the sleeper picks, and this guy is intriguing to say the least.

197) Paul Smith, QB, Tulsa When a team NEEDS a QB, you get as many as you can in to camp. Paul Smith is doing enough at Tulsa to think he could develop. With Quinn here you consider him a guy to get in camp, evaluate and sit on the PS for 1 or 2 seasons. He could become a legit QB though. I like his game, but he would need to learn more. A complete QB overhaul is needed, and with that you bring in 4-5 QB s in camp at least.

UFA Hopefuls

I would also look into a few key players in FA. These are not players I say we DO get, but that I would look into:

Bob Sanders, FS, Colts - He is the best FA out there. I think the Colts WANT to lock him up, but CAN they? They have other key FAs to look at as well (Clark, Lilja & Scott) which leads me to my next name.

Dallas Clark - He is very versatile, and probably better than Crumpler at this point in their careers. I think Indy will make him top priority, possibly opening the door for Sanders. I would be after both of them, in hopes of landing one.

Nat Dorsey, OT, CLE - Another name getting frequent around here, this guy has experience starting at both LT and RT. He would be great depth, and serve as a fine backup for any OT injuries.

Drew Carter, WR, CAR - Carter could make a fine #3 or 4 if we shake up our WR roster. I wonder what the future holds for Horn and Jenkins. If one or both get moved on, Carter could be a replacememt.

Corey Williams, DT, GB - He has been very good the past couple seasons, and should get a decent check in FA if he makes it there. If we got a DT in, we wouldnt be as needy for one come draft day.

Gibril Wilson, FS, NYG - If Bob Sanders doesnt work, Wilson is another candidate. I am hoping we keep Crocker, but at this time I wonder what the FO has in mind for both Crocker and Williams as safeties.

Let's hear it guys..........:discuss:

I keep reading that the Browns GM Savage has repeatedly said this fall (and as recently as a couple of weeks ago) that neither Anderson or Quinn would be leaving the Browns through the 2008 season. Quinn is relatively cheap for a couple of years and I believe the Browns want to see more from Anderson before they even consider letting Quinn go.

I know all about what Savage is/was saying. I am a Browns fan. BUT, we also said Schaub was going nowhere. Savage has to keep the market high for Quinn. Like Schaub, if he gets moved I think it will happen out of nowhere.

IF Anderson gets a big deal this offseason, Quinn will get shopped. CLE is a couple pieces away from being a serious contender (RB, DT, DE), and getting those draft picks back this year would be key. CLE is that set on Anderson that they have mentioned franchising him just to guarantee another team can't take him. That is saying alot, since it would mean they had to pay him about 12M for one season.

Like I said, I know they are claiming they wont move Quinn, but if they have a chance to get this years AP, they could very well move. They were torn between Joe T and AP last year, and there has been some "what if" talk about passing on AP.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Really well thought out and unique as always. Most will be too short sited to see that this is a great trade for the Falcons. Quinn a first round pick next year and a 3rd this year is good value.

I like what you did with the rest of the draft and free agency as well. Okam and Williams along with Trey Lewis and Babs would make a killer DT rotation.

I am a huge fan of the Lemon kid from Illinois and like you I don't really understand why he isn't rated higher....could be a big time steal.

Dallas Clark is a human matchup problem and if we can get him that would add another demension to our offense. I know the Colts will want to keep him but they don't have alot of cash and I'm sure they'd choose to lock up Sanders.

Definitely well thought out as usual, but I like Brohm better than Brady, if for nothing else than the fact that he has experience in our offense. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't be necessarily pissed if this trade happened, just dont see it happening.

the interesting thing for ATL will be if McFadden is on the board at our pick--that would be tempting. It might be risky but they could trade back in the first round and still nab Brian Brohm, who Ironically could be this year's brady quinn!

Other than that I like your picks and positions that you addressed. i pray that Kelvin Smith is available in the 2nd, but im not sold that he will The guy is 6'0" 215 and runs like a horse, he'll have a helluva combine and shoot up boards.

the rb i see us getting in the second might be ray rice. He'll have concerns about his height and the number of carries that he had in college, and petrino obviously knows him well.

Either way i agree with you and think that we will definitely draft a 2nd round rb.

FalcsForLife (12/5/2007)
If McFadden is available I think we would have to take him but if not then this trade makes alot of sense. You get a first round caliber QB with a year of experience under his belt and don't have to pay him what a top 5 pick would command.

I agree if McFadden is there you have to pull the trigger. Grabbing McFadden would make it very easy to give up next years first and one second (this year) to go grab one of the big 3 qbs that are sure to fall like Quinn did.

With the remaining 2nd we'll easily grab a very nice OL.

1989fan (12/5/2007)
I know all about what Savage is/was saying. I am a Browns fan. BUT, we also said Schaub was going nowhere. Savage has to keep the market high for Quinn. Like Schaub, if he gets moved I think it will happen out of nowhere.

IF Anderson gets a big deal this offseason, Quinn will get shopped. CLE is a couple pieces away from being a serious contender (RB, DT, DE), and getting those draft picks back this year would be key. CLE is that set on Anderson that they have mentioned franchising him just to guarantee another team can't take him. That is saying alot, since it would mean they had to pay him about 12M for one season.

Like I said, I know they are claiming they wont move Quinn, but if they have a chance to get this years AP, they could very well move. They were torn between Joe T and AP last year, and there has been some "what if" talk about passing on AP.

Thanks for the reply. :)

I'm sure I don't know half of what you do about the Browns. Just looking at it as an outsider though I don't see why Savage should move Quinn if one more preseason of Quinn lighting up defenses raises his value even more. Plus it would give the Browns another year to see if Anderson is for real. (It sure looks like he is.)

Really liked the rest of your draft and like everyone else has said thanks for putting it together.

The Falcons are shafted in this deal.

You're giving up the #4 pick worth 1,800 points for a guy drafted with the #22 pick (780 points) and the #84 overall pick (170 points)? Not to mention, no one has a clue whether or not he can play. All we know was he wasn't good enough to be drafted in the top 20 of the draft last year, but now he's worth a top 5 pick?

1800 (#4 pick) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 950 (#22 + #84)

J. Lehman would be a great pick, but I honestly think Ben Moffit from South Florida is gonna be rated higher on our board. I hope he is still there in the third but if not Lehman could be the pick. As for Quinn, I'd love to have him. On the other hand, if he becomes available, I don't wanna give up a ton to get him. We need draft picks. I am a diehard Notre Dame fan, and have personally seen every snap(and I'm not kidding) he took in college. I'm a little biased, but I think he would fit in great here. In last years draft I was kind of hoping we were gonna trade up to get him. That was right around the time the whole Vick thing started. Anyway, it should be an interesting, and hopefully great offseason.

aveboogie2 (12/5/2007)

You're giving up the #4 pick worth 1,800 points for a guy drafted with the #22 pick (780 points) and the #84 overall pick (170 points)? Not to mention, no one has a clue whether or not he can play. All we know was he wasn't good enough to be drafted in the top 20 of the draft last year, but now he's worth a top 5 pick?

He had us getting the Browns first rounder next year as well.

1989fan (12/5/2007)
Before I get started, I did implement a trade that I have discussed before. Not that I think it WILL happen, but I would love for it to happen...and since mocks are all speculation anyways...why not.

Cleveland receives: ATL pick #4 (round 1).

Atlanta receives: Brady Quinn, QB, 2009 round 1, pick #84 (round 3)

Falcons round 2-7

35) Alex Boone, OT, Ohio State This guy is who I want @ LT. I think he will be a top tier OT. He is big, strong and comes from a great program. IMO he is good enough to start @ RT as a rookie, and either move over in a year to replace Weiner, or just dominate the right side for years to come.

42) (HOU) Frank Okam, DT, Texas Big DT. I think the FO will make Lewis the starter in 08. I also think Babs is good enough to start. However, depth at the position is critical. Lewis can play either side, so he and Okam could be an awesome run stopping duo. With one good DT added, our depth will be good. A healthy Patterson ('07 UDFA) next season will make a fine DT rotation.

67) Kevin Smith, RB, Central Florida This guy is an underrated RB. He is starting to get noticed a lot more recently, but I think he and Norwood would be a great 1-2 punch. He is starter material IMO. He MIGHT creep up on draft day, but for now he should be there early 3rd.

84) (CLE) J Lemon, ILB, Illinois He is a very good ILB. I cant quite see why he isnt ranked higher, but he seems to grade out to a mid round pick. He is impressive statistically, and seems to cover the field well.

97) (Comp) Jason Jones, DE, Eastern Michigan - We could use real depth behind Abraham. Jones would be a good understudy and backup to our elite, but fragile DE. Not going to call him our future starter, but should grow into solid depth at least.

101) Adam Kraus, OG, Michigan Another mauler on the MICH OL that gets overlooked. He is big, and can add some more mass. He wouldn t be a day one starter likely, but he would be a good fit for our scheme.

133) Art Carmody, K, Louisville We NEED a kicker. The top kickers have been going in rounds 3-5 generally. I don t think we have a Kaedig or Crosby type of guy this year, but Carmody is very solid, and I would be happy to see us address the issue properly for once.

165) Darrell Blackman, RB/KR, NC State I have to give props to the hometown kid (Williamsport, PA). He came from the HS here, and went to NC St. He hasn t tore it up as a RB, but has been a stellar KR/PR. He would give us additional RB depth as well as another option for KR. Named All ACC in KR over MB favorite Eddie Royal.

189) (PIT) Brian Witherspoon, CB, Stillman - This is a name I noticed getting some recognition since my last mock w him in. He is a small school prospect. Elite speed (4.2x) and good size. McKay loves the sleeper picks, and this guy is intriguing to say the least.

197) Paul Smith, QB, Tulsa When a team NEEDS a QB, you get as many as you can in to camp. Paul Smith is doing enough at Tulsa to think he could develop. With Quinn here you consider him a guy to get in camp, evaluate and sit on the PS for 1 or 2 seasons. He could become a legit QB though. I like his game, but he would need to learn more. A complete QB overhaul is needed, and with that you bring in 4-5 QB s in camp at least.

UFA Hopefuls

I would also look into a few key players in FA. These are not players I say we DO get, but that I would look into:

Bob Sanders, FS, Colts - He is the best FA out there. I think the Colts WANT to lock him up, but CAN they? They have other key FAs to look at as well (Clark, Lilja & Scott) which leads me to my next name.

Dallas Clark - He is very versatile, and probably better than Crumpler at this point in their careers. I think Indy will make him top priority, possibly opening the door for Sanders. I would be after both of them, in hopes of landing one.

Nat Dorsey, OT, CLE - Another name getting frequent around here, this guy has experience starting at both LT and RT. He would be great depth, and serve as a fine backup for any OT injuries.

Drew Carter, WR, CAR - Carter could make a fine #3 or 4 if we shake up our WR roster. I wonder what the future holds for Horn and Jenkins. If one or both get moved on, Carter could be a replacememt.

Corey Williams, DT, GB - He has been very good the past couple seasons, and should get a decent check in FA if he makes it there. If we got a DT in, we wouldnt be as needy for one come draft day.

Gibril Wilson, FS, NYG - If Bob Sanders doesnt work, Wilson is another candidate. I am hoping we keep Crocker, but at this time I wonder what the FO has in mind for both Crocker and Williams as safeties.

Let's hear it guys..........:discuss:

Lets see 1989fan, I like Bob Sanders or Dallas Clark in FA but man I would be extremely pissed off if we traded away a number 4 pick for Quinn who was thought of enough last year to fall into the 20's. I don't like the draft picks either except for Blackman late in the draft. Try again.

aveboogie2 (12/5/2007)

plus 2009 1st rounder (value 600-800). ;)

rydolph (12/5/2007)

Lets see 1989fan, I like Bob Sanders or Dallas Clark in FA but man I would be extremely pissed off if we traded away a number 4 pick for Quinn who was thought of enough last year to fall into the 20's. I don't like the draft picks either except for Blackman late in the draft. Try again.

please do me a favor and entertain me with a thorough mock. It is easy to be a critic, especially when there is no substance behind it.

I find it amusing to only like Blackman of the picks. He is a KR.

rydolph (12/5/2007)

It is easy to be critical when you yourself have put nothing out there to be critisized. If you are smart enough to critisize someone elses ideas why not put your own onto paper so that we can have something to debate against. And for the sake of debate if you disagree with something simply say it and explain, in your opinion, something that would be better or at least get the facts straight instead of totally neglecting the 1st and 3rd round picks that we would be getting from Cleveland along with Quinn in this senario.

FalcsForLife (12/6/2007)
rydolph (12/5/2007)

It is easy to be critical when you yourself have put nothing out there to be critisized. If you are smart enough to critisize someone elses ideas why not put your own onto paper so that we can have something to debate against. And for the sake of debate if you disagree with something simply say it and explain, in your opinion, something that would be better or at least get the facts straight instead of totally neglecting the 1st and 3rd round picks that we would be getting from Cleveland along with Quinn in this senario.

Well jughead the dude puts a mock on here and asks what folks think by stating "Let's hear it guys" and when someone doesn't friggin rave about it then you want to turn it around saying it's easy to criticize. I didn't post a mock that doesn't make much sense IMO and then solicit to hear other posters opinions now did I. BTW the spell checker would be a good option for you dude but there I go again with the criticism.

I also love the idea of taking two QBs. I've mentioned it elsewhere as an option in the 3rd (with our comp if we get that) and then perhaps the 6th or 7th round for the second one. But Cleveland would have to give up much more to trade up to #4. See the Rivers-Eli deal to get an idea.

celtik

Well jughead the dude puts a mock on here and asks what folks think by stating "Let's hear it guys" and when someone doesn't friggin rave about it then you want to turn it around saying it's easy to criticize. I didn't post a mock that doesn't make much sense IMO and then solicit to hear other posters opinions now did I. BTW the spell checker would be a good option for you dude but there I go again with the criticism.

Well if you'd paid attention to my post, rather than jumping right back on the defensive, you may have understood what I was saying.

Of course I don't expect everyone to agree with everything, where's the fun in that, but I personally prefer big boy debate as aposed to posting adolescent images that are more aproptiate for MySpace.

celtiksage (12/7/2007)
I also love the idea of taking two QBs. I've mentioned it elsewhere as an option in the 3rd (with our comp if we get that) and then perhaps the 6th or 7th round for the second one. But Cleveland would have to give up much more to trade up to #4. See the Rivers-Eli deal to get an idea.

celtik

We would basically be getting 2 first rounders and a 3rd four our pick. On the charts it would favor us in points by about 50-100 (depending where you value their 09 #1). I didnt want to stack the trade to high because 1) CLE doesnt have a ton of picks to deal and 2) I dont think CLE would lose value to get rid of Quinn.

Thanks for the posts guys. I like to hear different views, as long as there is something behind the replies. Thanks again. :)

FalcsForLife (12/7/2007)

Well if you'd paid attention to my post, rather than jumping right back on the defensive, you may have understood what I was saying.

Well enlighten me on what you were saying in your original post because I read it several times before I got on the defensive and it sounded the same every time I looked at it.