Top 6 things Falcons must do in the offseason!

godawgs1968

Lets Face it. The Falcons must make some extraordinary changes to be competitve in 08. Here is my Top 5 list.. What is yours?

FREE AGENCY - 1. Find a Great QB! We must find someone to mentor our number 1 pick so he can develop. (Donovan McNabb may be a good choice here). 2. Find a dominant defensive end opposite side John Abraham (Jamaal Anderson ain't getting it done) The great teams have 2 great defensive ends..we have 1. 3. Find 2 Dominant offensive lineman in Free Agency.. We have to build for a power game! 4. This one may be shocking to some.. RELEASE WARRICK DUNN!! (Ain't getting it done anymore) We need to find a POWER BACK to compliment Jerious Norwoods speed. Jerious needs to be our feature back!

DRAFT - 5. 1st Round - Must go with a QB - (My 1st choice would be Brian Brohm) 2nd Choice would be Dennis Dixon (if he can stay healthy) Both are very accurate passers and Brian understand Petrino's offense. 6. 2-7 rounds - Linebackers and offensive linemen and maybe a safety.

Obviously we have a lot to work on this offseason but I believe with 2 - 3 great acquisitions we're in the hunt for the playoffs. I believe in Bobby Petrino but will he stick around long enough to make the Falcons great. I sure hope so. I think he is the answer. What do you guys think?

Lets Face it. The Falcons must make some extraordinary changes to be competitve in 08. Here is my Top 5 list.. What is yours?

FREE AGENCY - 1. Find a Great QB! We must find someone to mentor our number 1 pick so he can develop. (Donovan McNabb may be a good choice here). 2. Find a dominant defensive end opposite side John Abraham (Jamaal Anderson ain't getting it done) The great teams have 2 great defensive ends..we have 1. 3. Find 2 Dominant offensive lineman in Free Agency.. We have to build for a power game! 4. This one may be shocking to some.. RELEASE WARRICK DUNN!! (Ain't getting it done anymore) We need to find a POWER BACK to compliment Jerious Norwoods speed. Jerious needs to be our feature back!

DRAFT - 5. 1st Round - Must go with a QB - (My 1st choice would be Brian Brohm) 2nd Choice would be Dennis Dixon (if he can stay healthy) Both are very accurate passers and Brian understand Petrino's offense. 6. 2-7 rounds - Linebackers and offensive linemen and maybe a safety.

Obviously we have a lot to work on this offseason but I believe with 2 - 3 great acquisitions we're in the hunt for the playoffs. I believe in Bobby Petrino but will he stick around long enough to make the Falcons great. I sure hope so. I think he is the answer. What do you guys think?

Forget about "being competitvie"in 2008. We won't be a contender in 2008, so using draft picks and cap space with the aim of scraping to 9-7 and a low wild card spot next year makes no sense to me at all. The only thing I care about is winning a championship with is a minimum of 2-3 years away, and if that means making some sacrifices in the short term then so be it.

McNabb - No thanks. He's washed up and has 2-3 years left at this level at the very most.

He's won't be worth anywhere near the cap money that someone will overpay him, let alone the draft picks that the Eagles are seeking. I'd rather stick with Harrington, Leftwich, Redman or DJ next year (and that is saying something)

QB - We need to buildforthe long termfuture, and look for a franchise QB in the 2008 draft.

DE - I wouldn't spend big money on another DE. We overpaid for Abe, and having spend a 1st rounder on Jamaal we MUST give him time to develop. With finite draft picks and cap $ teams can't afford to keep spending high draft picks and/or big money on the same position year in year out (as we should have learnt from our over-investment in the WR position for the last 5 years). We have to trust our young players (like jamaal) and give them the time to develop and become the players that we drafted them to be.

OL - I agree the this needs to be a priority. We need to take 2 OL in the first 4 rounds of the draft.

RB - I agree about Dunn, and that we need a big back. Another day 1 need in next year's draft.

Free Agency - If we are going to spend big $, use them to retain our best players (Boley, Hall). It's tempting to look for an elite OL, but they demand huge contracts that carry a lot of financial risk. I'm not convicned that the risk is worth it. I'd rather focus on mid-level FA's who are often better Value for money. We'd benefit form from bringing in 3-4 solid players rather than blowing it all on 1 supposedly elite player.

My list:

1) resist the urge to draft a QB. Get a veteran discard in FA.

2) Put our top Vet's on the trading block and see what we can get for them.

3) Identify the best O and D linemen in the draft and FA and trade trade trade to get them.

4) After that, draft LB and DB's

5) Play 08 with the expectation of getting your defense built and your o-line to run and pass block.

6) Off season 08, look at picking up more defensive players and getting some WR's

7) Off season 09, sell the farm to move up in the draft and get a QB to play behind our new solid line and our young fast defense.

You made some very good points. I would much rather bring in 3-4 players rather than 1 elite player via free agency. I want them to be great players though. Donovan I was looking at as a mentor not long term at all. He is definitely not what he used to be. QB huge number 1 priority along with offensive linemen and I still would try to get a defensive end.

We've got too many problems to even come close to a winning season in '08.

1. We probably need to replace every position on the O-line except for one.

2. We have NO quarterbacks. Maybe we have a #3 out of the group we have. That's it.

Philly is going to want something for McNabb. Unless they cut him outright then forget about it.

I hate to break this to you but we are not going to have the cap space to do much in Free Agency, especially if we don't get the money back from Vick.

And the type of free agents we're going to get are the ones that want $$$$$$. Why would a free agent want to come here? You have a team that isn't going to the Superbowl and a Head Coach that alienates veterans.

We're going to have to overpay for any quality free agents.

And we HAD a quality DE but we let him walk. He's currently #5 in the NFL in sacks.

And how exactly are we going to pay/acquire all of these players?

There are really only 8-10 players in each of those positions throughout the league that could truly be considered "dominant." McNabb would be an okay option if he were willing to take a 1 year contract loaded with incentives that was low on base salary and signing bonus, but with his knee injuries and inconsistencies this year, is he any better than anything we have on our roster?

1) resist the urge to draft a QB. Get a veteran discard in FA.

2) Put our top Vet's on the trading block and see what we can get for them.

3) Identify the best O and D linemen in the draft and FA and trade trade trade to get them.

4) After that, draft LB and DB's

5) Play 08 with the expectation of getting your defense built and your o-line to run and pass block.

6) Off season 08, look at picking up more defensive players and getting some WR's

7) Off season 09, sell the farm to move up in the draft and get a QB to play behind our new solid line and our young fast defense.

Young Qb's take 2-3 year to develop at this level. If we wait until 2009 to draft one, it will be 2010 (or more likely 2011) before that young QB has any chance of really making a difference. It makes more sense IMO to get a young QB in 2008 particuarly as we look set to have our choice of QBs this year. Next season is going to be a write off for us in terms of competing for a title (and even more so if we trade our top veterans), so there's no point spending free agency $ searching for a short term answer at QB. Any bargian basement FA QB will be no better than what we already have. We'd may as well let Harrington, Leftwich, Redman or even DJ hold the reins for a season whilst we develop a promising rookie.

I'm also very strongly against trading up for players and "selling the farm" for 1 player, other than in exceptional circumstances (i.e. unless we are already a very good team and 1 player away from 'getting over the hump'). One of the reasons why we are in our current mess, is that we've wasted too many valuable draft picks in trades for veterans (Price, Abe, Crocker) and moving up in drafts (moving up for Vick, Jenkins, Jimmy Williams etc.). The way to build is to hoard picks and add as much talent as you can - especially when you have as many holes and needs as we do. IAs i see it,we need needs QB, RB, 2 (possibly 3) OL, 2DT, MLB, FS, K, depth and CB and DE.

Thankfully we look set to have 10 picks next year. Assuming we get a 4th round compesatory pick for PK, I'd be looking for somethign like this:-

Rounds 1-2 - OL, QB, RB

Rounds 3-4 - OL, DT, MLB

Rounds 5-7 - CB, DT or DE, FS, K

the falcons are not that far off. we have been in a lot of games this year that could have gone either way. we were really only out of 2 games all year.

1. Build both lines

2. Draft Brohm (would be ready to play sooner then any other qb drafted seeing as how he would be very familiar with what BP wants to do)

3. Power RB.

Take care of these 3 things and we will be competitive.

The NFC has been so awful for the last 4-5 years that it won't take much to be competitive within the conference. However, if we are looking to seriously compete for a championship with the best teams in the league, we do have a very long way to go.

FREE AGENCY -

1. Find a Great QB! We must find someone to mentor our number 1 pick so he can develop. (Donovan McNabb may be a good choice here).

I don't think McNabb would be content to mentor one of our QB's if he wasn;t content to mentor any in Philly. I don't think you have to be a great QB to be a great mentor. Chris Redman could be a great mentor for all we know.

2. Find a dominant defensive end opposite side John Abraham (Jamaal Anderson ain't getting it done) The great teams have 2 great defensive ends..we have 1.

Let's hold off on writing off Jamaal Anderson. Has he been able to pressure the passer this season. No. But, his LDE spot is a more difficult transition from college to the pros. he does not get the benefit of blindside attacks. Give him another year.

3. Find 2 Dominant offensive lineman in Free Agency. We have to build for a power game!

I think 1 would suffice. 2 is going to cost a ton and these can be developed.

4. This one may be shocking to some.. RELEASE WARRICK DUNN!! (Ain't getting it done anymore) We need to find a POWER BACK to compliment Jerious Norwoods speed. Jerious needs to be our feature back!

While I agree that Dunn should be let go, I don't think Jerious is a feature back. IMO, I think he's more dangerous as a specialty weapon. To me, Petrino's biggest fault this year is not only not finding ways to get Jerious more touches, but not being more imaginative with his most explosive player in finding ways to get him the ball in space. His receptions are up, but I think Jerious could be a RB/WR type and if you split him wide would cause intense match-up problems. This doesn't happen enough...

5. 1st Round - Must go with a QB - (My 1st choice would be Brian Brohm) 2nd Choice would be Dennis Dixon (if he can stay healthy) Both are very accurate passers and Brian understand Petrino's offense.

At the spot we'll be drafting in, I think QB is too high. We'll need to get back into Round 1 and should have the ammunition to do it (2 #2's and DeAngelo Hall). IMO, if Darren McFadden is available, you have to get him.

6. 2-7 rounds - Linebackers and offensive linemen and maybe a safety.

Sure...:doze:

I think we're farther away than that. I don't see a rookie QB leading us into the 'Top 12'.If the right off-season acqusitions are made though, I could see an underwhelming 1st half of 2008 followed up with acoming on like gangbusters 2nd half with alot of buzz for 2009.

mcnabb is a great qb but is he another byron leftwich, the guy could be a accident waiting to happen. you will NOT find two DOMINANT offensive linemen in the offense that will even consider playing for the falcons. the free agent market is so competitive can we even afford to pay them. the most dominant ol will be fenaca but he wants mula because the steelers just will not pay him. lija will be with the colts if peyton has anything to do with it. and max starks is just another todd weiner. however i do think we could turn this team around with a couple of very smart changes and draft picks. let's look at what we already have: a versatile C in Datish who had a unfortunate injury in the preseason, we have a progressing LG blalock, todd weiner is an exception at RT, we have a nice trio of recievers white, robinson, jenkins, crumpler is an exception at TE, we have norwood who had big playmaking ability but he needs a complimentary back for smash mouth gaming, a proven FB, leaving us in need offensively at QB, LT, RG, RB. we could pick up pick up Brohm/woodson with our top 5 pick, nate dorsey would add depth in our weak LT roster, with 2a. we draft Jeff Otah the 6'6 340lb Lt who has really been on rise or Alex Boone in worse case scenario,with 2b. Mike Mcglynn or Micheal oher would be a nice addition at the RG position. both of these guys 1/2 rd projection at T/G position. FA will provide a nice rb like either Turner or Barber although i feel like lebrandon toefield is underated and will be less costy. Now for the defense, we have two competent CB's Hall, Houston, a proven sack machine in Abraham at DE, anderson is questionable, young Trey Lewis on the rise at NT, Coleman excellent IF healthy but needs depth, Boley on olb is very promising, Brookings is mediocre at ilb, Nicholas will be pretty good on olb as well, Crocker is a SS playing the FS position, so our major needs would be FS, DT, DE, ILB. Sign Randall Gay during FA he'll be an upgrade at FS, Haynesworth will be costly so we'll draft Jason Shirley the 6'5 330lb warrior moving at 4.98 40, or Kentwan Balmer (They are identical except Balmer's 30lbs smaller). If we get lucky we'll end up getting a pick for Micheal Vick, yep, he's an elite player, the nfl normally award you a 3rd compensation pick at the end, with this pick i'd select Cromartie CB, he's a small school standout who had six picks in 2006. he's 6'2 185lbs. and runs a low 4.3 40 and could very well be the steal of the draft. i chose him because Hall may be gone after another year. this will be our project for the next year. Anderson is very fast and strong but he needs to be more savvy, i'd like to see coleman try the DE position while Shirley plug the middle. Another possible steal in the draft would be Rudie Hardie at the DE position he's 6'1 275lbs. runs a 4.72 40. if you don't think that is impressive then DUHHH. In 06' he had 10 sacks. he could be good insurance for abraham. i think he'll be worth the gamble in the 4th rd where he is projected to go, and remember well have a high 4th rd pick, Jonathan Vilma should be our primary target in FA he's the real deal for a 4-3 defense, that'll clear up the inside mediocrisy. we'll also need some depth at qb so throw dennis dixon in the picture at pick 4b. our special teams is garbage so this is where we'll focus on that. we need a kicker and a kick returner, Hmmm, i pick a kicker first so we'll go with Alexis Serna. the guy can his butt off. Last year he was 4/6 from 50 and beyond and had a 58 yarder as well. that was my round 5 draft pick and i still have four more picks left. i'm going to say Patrick Carter the WR at Louisville would do just fine relieving norwood from kick returns. i think Petrino will use the last couple of picks on guys who gave him **** in games he played against. oh yeah i almost forgot Brookings can play backup olb and ilb for nicholas and vilma. i think crocker will also do the trick at the strong safety position. you could PROBABLY trade Forney to a team that need zone blocking for a draft pick. Tyson Clabo seems to hold his own as he'll add good depth and versatility to the falcons ol. this is my remedy and wish for the offseason.:)

I don't understand how people don't think we can be competitive next year. We are what, 3-9 this season. We lost 4 games by 1 possession. We've been competitive in most of our games this season. Even with the carousel we've had at QB, we were still in most of the games we've played this season. Against Minnesota, if our QB didn't give 2 TD's to the other team, we would've had a shot to win that game. We almost won IN Jax. We only lost to Carolina at home due to a meltdown on one drive. We should've beat the Titans, if our OL could've just slowed down Haynesworth. The only teams that really blew us out were the Giants, Tampa Bay, and Indianapolis. We were close to being competitive this season. One offseason can correct a lot of our problems. Getting players back healthy could help a lot of our problems. To me the solution seems pretty simple, first take care of the OL, then take care of the QB, then shore up the DL, and we will be competitive NEXT season. I'm not saying Superbowl competitive, but wildcard playoffs is definitely a possibility. Let's look at the positions we DON'T need. I don't think we need WR anymore since Roddy came out of his shell and Laurent Robinson will have a year under his belt with Jenkins as our #3. I don't think we need TE, we have a ton of them. We don't need SLB, Corner, SS, or FS. In order of importance, we NEED an OT, OG, QB, MLB, UT (Coleman is gone after this year and Trey Lewis is the NT, Bab's is pretty good but I like us rotating so in my opinion this is a need). In other words, we need to find 5 new starters, and they don't need to be Pro Bowlers, they need to be solid role players.

ukfalc (12/5/2007)

The NFC has been so awful for the last 4-5 years that it won't take much to be competitive within the conference. However, if we are looking to seriously compete for a championship with the best teams in the league, we do have a very long way to go.

all you have to do though is get there to have a chance. the best team in the SB doesn't always win.

The first thing that needs to be fixed is the O-line period! No QB will help us with the O-line we have! We will have to bite the bullet and get an O-Line for the future! Start now!

1) We have to get Faneca OG FA

2) 1st round- Jake Long OT

3) 2nd round- DT & OT

4) 3rd round- QB

5) 4th round- MLB & OG

6) 5th round-K

7) 6th round- C & SS

8) 7th round- whoever!

With this you have overhauled your o-line for years to come that way the QB Taken in the 3rd will have a chance to not get killed in 2009! You could possibly get 3 starting O-linemen Starting DT and a starting K as well as two solid backup O-Linemen! Take a QB first round and you will have the same problem we do now!

we are almost strapped for the draft this year. But on the bright side we get younger and our coach is probably better with coaching young men vs seasoned vets. But our o-line is a must fix and unless there is a star powerhouse running back to replace dunn with the our o-line stays the #1 need. A decent qb with a great line makes a great qb. A decent line with a great qb makes a injured qb.

romo brady and other where not first rounder picks. A qb is about attention to detail, timing and leadership. So we dont need to go bank the farm on some top dollar over the hill injury waiting to happen free agent or bet the farm on a qb again.

We need another de not to replace anderson but to rotate them in and out to keep them fresh. A winded de is just a waste. We need to build depth on the charts of players who are willing to play for 4 quarters of play and not give up. We dont need superstars to do that, just some raw talent with a desire to be a superstar.

Maybe we can land a budget cb or ss in FA. But clealry our rb, o-line, d-line are main concerns. As well as special team attention. This isnt madden and we are going in the right direction even if it looks wrong now. If vick could come back we should let him (like cinci let their wr and the titans will let pacman). Its just cheaper to keep him and he should be in great shape if all he does is work out for the next year. At qb id be happy if vick came back and we kept joey and drafted a new "franchise qb" in the third or even 4th round depending on who drops. We just have to many issues to chase top dollar free agents and we shouldnt. We need a ton of depth on the roster and its gonna be heart breaking to watch as they learn from mistakes. But its a investment in the future.

We just need some serious depth on our roster. Injuries kill us on the lines and thats where games are won. I would even consider trading our 1st away for a next year picks just to keep from over paying a rookie unless the player we draft is a super playmaker must have.