Trade offer to CLE

1989Fan

CLE is a team on the rise, and they also happen to a) not have a round one pick B) have an extra QB & c) have a glaring need entering the 08 season.

What if.......

We offer CLE our #1 pick (range 2-5) for Brady Quinn and their 2009 1st round pick? We will have 2 high 2nd rounders still to fix the line this year. We get our QB and still have 3 day one picks.

The #4 pick worth 1,800 points. Quinn was picked @ 22 = 780 points. Their round one in 09 will likely hold late round value at best, so we MIGHT even be able to ask for a 3rd or additional player.

ATL ends up with a QB ready to start from DAY ONE.

Then Draft Alex Boone, OT, OSU with our top 2nd rounder. We would have a QB that IMO is better than Brohm PLUS another first rounder in 2009.

Why would CLE do this you ask? Well, on offense they are one piece away from being dominance. Darren McFadden. I couldnt imagine that offense with a year of growth and a guy like DMC in there.  OR, they are hurting on D, and it is all because of needing the front line fixed. Having a guy like Dorsey (moved outside) or Long could do miracles for helping out that defense.

It would save us a TON of money on a round 1 QB. #2-4 pick will get 40M or so, Quinns deal is an incentive ladden 22M. We could possibly have more room to be active in FA then as well.

opinions? And something with more substance than "Brady sucks" would work. :w00t:

I wouldnt mind that all, but i do have wonder if they would let him go after giving up what they did to get him but if they where to go for it it would very good he really impressed me in preaseason and even though Anderson does look good alot has to do with the Olin in place imagine what quinn could do with that oline i think Cleveland would like to find out. Plus if we do give up our first for him we really put all our eggs in one basket by gowing the QB rout where as on draft day we have a multiple choice of top prospects and could even trade down which is unlikely i know. just my thoughts

well, Anderson might want a good contract to stay. If they give him that 5-7 year deal, say goodbye to Quinn. He will want out. CLE might also want to give him that deal BEFORE the RFA period, because a team could make him an offer with "poison pill" stipulations making it hard for CLE to match it.

As for the value, our top pick will basically be the same points value as their 2nd last season, first this season and first next season (if they finish strong again). They could actually be getting value back on the points chart I think.

Putting the eggs in the Quinn basket is no more risky than taking a QB in round one, which I am pretty convinced we will do. Except Quinn has alot less financial ties to him than a top pick would (to the tune of 40M+, up to 60M depending where we pick)

I wouldn't mind trading for Quinn either and I think he's better than the quarterbacks in this class. Look at where Notre Dame is without him...I never thought he was elite, but after the downfall Notre Dame has (I know he's not the only one that left) after him leaving, it's very obvious he was a main reason they did well last year. I think he has the mobility we need with this line and the quick release and decision making Petrino wants out of a quarterback. I would rather give them both of our 2nds and pickup Jake Long or McFadden in the 1st, but I wouldn't be too upset with Quinn and their next year's first.

Eh, I don't know. I know they haven't scored any offensive touchdowns with Beck as a starter, but they are pretty high on him. I think they will give him some time before going for another QB. Who knows though.

Also, I don't know if Cameron screwed up in picking Ginn over Quinn, but he definitely screwed up in picking Ginn so high in the draft. That's not a knock on Ginn, but he could have traded down and Ginn probably still would have been available.

I know you like Quinn a lot and that means we have philosophical differences about Quinn. Even allowing for his play in the preseason, however, I still wouldn't do that trade. I'd rather have Brohm than Quinn and a first round pick.

I really, really like Brohm and Quinn is a guy I think NFL pressure is going to ruin.

jidady (12/4/2007)
I know you like Quinn a lot and that means we have philosophical differences about Quinn. Even allowing for his play in the preseason, however, I still wouldn't do that trade. I'd rather have Brohm than Quinn and a first round pick.

I really, really like Brohm and Quinn is a guy I think NFL pressure is going to ruin.

I like Brohm as well (my preference in THIS draft), but I still think Quinn is going to be a real good one when he gets his shot. I think he will be better than D. Anderson. Many other CLE fans feel the same. They want to ship Anderson for a pick (or 2) and give Quinn the reigns, even after the season Anderson is having.

I respect your opinion (we know this) but I just am completely opposite you on this one.

1989fan,

very interesting. i would not be all too upset with that at all actually. quinn has one year of experience and seasoning, and as you said he is a relative bargain with his incentive laden 22 million dollar deal. quinn and their 09 1st rounder would be awesome. alex boone, michael oher, jeff otah, chris williams... they are all legitimate 2nd round guys for us, and reinhart, mcglynn, and a couple others i kind of like would be there in the 3rd. there are plenty of opportunities to upgrade the LT and RT positions.

and next year we would be able to use our 2 first rounders on either DT, S, DE (RE maybe?) or probably RB. that would be awesome.

good idea man, i dont know if ill mock it that way, but if you have it in your next mock i would love to read some more about it. (hint, hint, hint... ;)) :laugh:

vickfalcons23 (12/4/2007)
for the 500th time BQ is Clev's future & they are not trading him away..

I am a Browns fan, and I will tell you if Anderson keeps it up he will be their future. Period.

Quinn might not go this offseason (it really depends on if they sign Anderson long term or just a one year tender/franchise offer) but he will get moved within the next 12-18 months IF Anderson keeps playing strong.