Redman...

Vicious

I rewatched the game again last night and something I really like about Redman is that he seemed to know exactly where to go with the ball when he saw the defensive package and did not think twice about getting the ball out quickly. He was putting air under the ball and was leading the receiver instead of throwing it behind them or directly at them. He put the ball on the receiver's back shoulder away from the defender so only the receiver had a chance to get the ball. There was plenty of zip on the ball. There was also good touch on the ball as well. Overall it was a good performance and it gave us a glimpse of what the offense is capable of with a decent QB.

I would like to be optimistic about his performance - he did a very good job of reading and reacting to the defense at the end of the game.

However, that could just have been caused by the fact that the Rams didn't gameplan to play against him, and didn't have any film of him running the offense to go by. If he can perform as well for the next few games, with D-coordinators preparing for him specifically, then I'll be much more impressed.

I would like to be optimistic about his performance - he did a very good job of reading and reacting to the defense at the end of the game.

However, that could just have been caused by the fact that the Rams didn't gameplan to play against him, and didn't have any film of him running the offense to go by. If he can perform as well for the next few games, with D-coordinators preparing for him specifically, then I'll be much more impressed.

I hope he gets to start the rest of the season. Not only did he complete downfield passes effectively he also made the same offensive line look completely different. He dropped back and threw the ball quickly, making good decisions each time. His only bad pass was the one he tried to force which got intercepted but every other pass was good. Even the incompletion on the screen was a good decision because the receiver was well covered.

BlacksburgHokie (12/4/2007)

>>>

That nice BUT I wonder how much Better Redman could be if he works with the First-string offense and a game plan??

Here is Petrino

On Redman's play at quarterback:

He s been working with the (second-string) a lot in practice. He s taken a bunch of reps and we ve seen him throw the ball accurately in practice. There have been a number of times when we ve come off the practice field and said, 'Chris was hot today. Chris is very sound technically and he was very good against the Rams. He did a nice job of anticipating and throwing the ball before the receivers were open. The timing was very good.

On confidence in Redman:

We had two good drives and the third one was good, too. We just didn t get it in the end zone. He s coming off of a major injury. We gave him a chance and he did a nice job in the preseason. Early in preseason he didn t have the same confidence he usually plays with, but as the preseason went on, he got more and more confident. He did a nice job in the preseason and was certainly our No. 2 quarterback going into the season.

BlacksburgHokie -I would like to be optimistic about his performance - he did a very good job of reading and reacting to the defense at the end of the game.

However, that could just have been caused by the fact that the Rams didn't gameplan to play against him, and didn't have any film of him running the offense to go by. If he can perform as well for the next few games, with D-coordinators preparing for him specifically, then I'll be much more impressed

Let's see how he does once teams start gameplanning for him.

Vicious (12/4/2007)
Overall it was a good performance and it gave us a glimpse of what the offense is capable of with a decent QB.

I agree with you Vicious. It may prove to be very brief, but his performance gives me hope for the future of Petrinos offense. Even if Redman proves not to be the answer, another QB performing at a high level should be fun to watch.

bobbyj (12/4/2007)
Vicious (12/4/2007)
Overall it was a good performance and it gave us a glimpse of what the offense is capable of with a decent QB.

I agree with you Vicious. It may prove to be very brief, but his performance gives me hope for the future of Petrinos offense. Even if Redman proves not to be the answer, another QB performing at a high level should be fun to watch.

Just watching how well he performed under pressure and his ability to pick up the blitz and get the ball out quickly was great. I was in shock when the offense drove the field not once, but three drives in a row with no problem. It was such a relief to see real drives put together and not having to wince every play wondering how long Joey was going to hold onto the ball or wondering if he would throw anything deep. This very exciting offense, historically, has been handicapped and put in a straight jacket for the majority of the year.

Richard Nixon (12/4/2007)
He's overly mechanical and will likely faulter as soon as he faces a better defense, not to mention he doesn't have much of an arm. So he's pretty much a cheap upgrade on Harrington.

I don't know about the weak arm. After watching the game a few times I watched him zip the ball when needed and put touch on it when needed. And how does machanical hurt him? Manning is probably the most mechanical QB there is and it doesn't hinder his game one bit. Don't think I'm saying he is as good as Manning, but being mechanical is a good thing in this offense. He seemed to have good awareness and pocket presence. He identified the blitz really well and got the ball were the defense was vulnerable each time. I'm not saying he'll do that consistently, but if he does then I think he may stick around for a little longer than we thought.

I'm not going to say that with any certainty, but if he would have played like that the entire season then yeah I would agree. I would be more willing to bet that being in the background and getting all those reps in practice brought back some confidence that he might not of had at the beginning of the year after being out of football for a little while.

He did this against the Rams defense, remember, and without the defense being prepared for him.

And by mechanical, I mean he is too set in the system, looking for who is supposed to be open and not very fluid. He's the kind that will pump too many times or underthrow someone trying to put touch on a pass and get picked, or miss what could be a bigger gain if he had hit a receiver sooner. He should be an ideal mentor to a young starter, but he's already better than Harrington and shouldn't face any competition for the starting job until we draft someone next year.

Richard Nixon (12/4/2007)
He did this against the Rams defense, remember, and without the defense being prepared for him.

And by mechanical, I mean he is too set in the system, looking for who is supposed to be open and not very fluid. He's the kind that will pump too many times or underthrow someone trying to put touch on a pass and get picked, or miss what could be a bigger gain if he had hit a receiver sooner. He should be an ideal mentor to a young starter, but he's already better than Harrington and shouldn't face any competition for the starting job until we draft someone next year.

Maybe. That fade to Roddy in the end zone was a thing of beauty though. All of his passes, minus the int, were right where only our guy could get it or thrown away because everyone was covered. I can't wait to see some more!!

Vicious (12/4/2007)

I hope he gets to start the rest of the season. Not only did he complete downfield passes effectively he also made the same offensive line look completely different. He dropped back and threw the ball quickly, making good decisions each time. His only bad pass was the one he tried to force which got intercepted but every other pass was good. Even the incompletion on the screen was a good decision because the receiver was well covered.

I agree, what its going to hurt? If he does start the rest of the season? Its not like were going to the playoffs. The thing I like about Redman, was he got the ball out fast and knew where to go, there was no hesitstion like Joey or in Leftwich who just took too long. But we'll see if they start him against the saints if he was just lucky. Or he was that good, when the saints game plan for him. ;)

nativefalcon (12/4/2007)

I agree, what its going to hurt? If he does start the rest of the season? Its not like were going to the playoffs. The thing I like about Redman, was he got the ball out fast and knew where to go, there was no hesitstion like Joey or in Leftwich who just took too long. But we'll see if they start him against the saints if he was just lucky. Or he was that good, when the saints game plan for him. ;)

Bump. He hit the receivers as they were coming out of their break and didn't second guess. It was like we were a real team again for a quarter.