1st Round Mock + Falcons Offseason

Hey guys. Here is my 1st round mock for this week. The order might be off by a little bit, or a lot of Baltimore somehow beats the Patriots. However, I got started on this early, and I felt like posting it tonight instead of waiting to see what the official order would be. I like this mock, so I just went with it.

Oh, and no depth chart this week. I just didn't feel like writing half the same sh** I wrote last week. :laugh:

1st Round Mock:

1st- Miami- Glen Dorsey, DT, LSU- The Dolphins buck the trend and select a DT #1 overall, and for good reason. Their run defense is absolutely atrocious, and their pass rush is lackluster at best. Dorsey would add a vocal leader to the defense, along with a very fine DT. He is very good against the run and is just as good at rushing the passer. I am a firm believer in building from the inside out, and as the Dolphins rebuild this is the perfect centerpiece for establishing another good front 7 for years to come.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

2nd- Patriots (F/ SF)- Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas- The Patriots make the rest of their team throw their arms up in disgust by taking McFadden here. Their offense would quite literally be unstoppable barring at least one if not more than one significant injury. McFadden and Maroney would be extremely potent, and that is before you consider you have to have a safety over the top to contain Randy Moss. With Tom Brady at QB, their offense might punt 5 times the whole season, and that is when they pull Brady in the 2nd half to prevent injury.

3rd- Atlanta- Jake Long, OT, Michigan- Here is a curveball, especially coming from me. I am a firm believer that Jake Long will not be a NFL LT, but I do believe he will be a Pro-Bowl or All-Pro caliber RT. We need a RT, just not as badly as a LT. However, Weiner could manage the LT position, as he was only blocking at RT because Vick was a lefty, so we put our best pass blocker to protect his blind-side. Weiner is our best offensive lineman, and played this position well when he was asked to do so this season. That opens up the starting RT spot, and that is just where I expect Jake Long to be for the next decade. He has the experience to start right away, and fits our scheme perfectly. He is an absolute beast in the running game, and not only stands his man up or helps create a hole, but simply dominates him and moves him 5 yards off the line of scrimmage. He has problems with speed rushers, but otherwise is very good in pass protection, making him an ideal RT prospect.

4th- Jets- Chris Long, DE, Virginia- The Jets get their man here in Chris Long, and take a big step towards upgrading their leaky defense. He is a great DE and has had a tremendous senior season. He is very good against the run and has made a lot of plays this season despite playing in a 3-4, and is a good pass rusher even from the 3-4 front. He would be a tremendous and necessary upgrade for the Jets, and even if McFadden was available here I truly believe they would take Long at this point. Thomas Jones has played well and Leon Washington is much better than I gave him credit for.

5th- Rams- <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />VernonGholston, DE, Ohio State- Here is another surprise pick, but it is not a bad one in my opinion. Gholston is currently ranked #2 overall in the 2009 draft class behind Darren McFadden, and has emerged as one of the best DE prospects in the entire nation. He is a fantastic pass rusher and has amazing speed off the edge, and has a 4.56 40 time according to NFL Draft Scout.com. He is an amazing athlete and has had a fantastic season this year, and with measurables like that I fully expect him to shoot up draft boards (which he already is) and the Rams could use a pass rusher of his caliber to compliment the fine DT s they have in Carriker and Ryan.

6th- Cincinnati- Sedrick Ellis, DT, Southern Cal- The Bengals desperately need help on defense, especially at DT. They are horrendous against the run, and really could use a better pass rush to help out their secondary, which has played modestly well this season. Once their bevy of injuries at LB heal up they should be a fairly good unit, and with Ellis in the middle the run defense would be upgraded and they would have an awesome pass rusher from the interior to compliment Justin Smith at LE.

7th- Chiefs- Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State- The Chiefs have been searching for Willie Roaf s replacement, and I think they have found it in Ryan Clady. He is ready to start right away, despite the fact that they have a decent starter established. Clady has good size and is very athletic, and is great in pass protection and is also a very good run blocker. He would help fill a large void left by Roaf. I would have loved to get Clady, he is my favorite OT prospect in this draft, especially for LT, but it just wasn t in the cards. So, the Chiefs grab him and never look back, and fill their need at LT.

8th- Baltimore- Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky- I haven t made this pick in past mock drafts, but it seems more appropriate this week. Woodson played a very good game against Tennessee, and I watched from the 3rd quarter through all 4 OT s, and he looked very impressive to me. He led another great comeback, and that kind of leadership is something everyone wants in their QB. With McNair on his last leg and Boller having a very unstable future with the team, adding Woodson makes a lot of sense. McNair may have another season left in him, and Boller will finish what McNair started if he can t make it all the way through. That gives time for Woodson to develop and prepare to be the starter after one season of development, which I think would help maximize his potential, which is the highest of any of the big three of Ryan, Brohm and Woodson.

9th- Oakland- Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU- This is a pick I haven t seen anyone make, but I think he will leave early now that LSU is in the National Championship game. If they win, great, but if they don t win I don t think they will have as good a shot next year, so I think he will opt to go out on top (since I expect them to kick the sh** out of OSU, I can t stand the Buckeyes) with his stock soaring high, and with his measurables and impact on one of the best defenses in the nation, I think he will go this high.

10th- Saints- Malcom Jenkins, CB, Ohio State- The Jason David signing did not work out well, and they need an upgrade very badly here. Jenkins would add much needed speed and playmaking ability to the Saints secondary, both of which they have not had in years. Jenkins comes from a school that has a good pedigree of producing corners, and the Saints would love nothing more than to see him be the next on that list.

11th- Houston- Terrell Thomas, CB, Southern Cal-  The Texans really need a LT, but in a deep draft of OT s, they take Thomas here. There is not a good value for an OT here, because Sam Baker s stock is falling. So, they add a much needed #2 corner to play opposite Dunta Robinson. They have a similar problem to what we had last year, when we drafted Chris Houston to play opposite D-Hall. With this addition the secondary is solidified and as Mario Williams and Amobi Okoye continue to develop on the defensive line, this defense could become very potent in the near future.

12th- Denver- James Lauranaitis, ILB, Ohio State- The Broncos come on the clock and they practically light the carpet on fire on their way to run their card into the commissioner to select The Animal . Lauranaitis would fill the void left by Al Wilson at ILB and would allow D.J. Williams to move back to WLB, where he is better suited. The addition of Lauranaitis would make this the best trio of linebackers in the NFL without question.

13th- Carolina- Keith Rivers, OLB, Southern Cal- The Panthers jump on Keith Rivers here because they just can t afford to rely on Dan Morgan anymore. With Rivers, Beason and Thomas Davis the Panthers would have the best group of young linebackers in the NFL, and would definitely be in the same breath as the Broncos after they added Lauranaitis. They could go after Phillips here, but Rivers is a very good value, and finally makes Morgan expendable.

14th- Washington- Kenny Phillips, S, Miami- The Redskins select Sean Taylor s replacement from the same college, and also get a similar player. Phillips has been compared to Sean Taylor and Ed Reed, both who played at Miami, and would have a lot of pressure to live up to being Taylor s hand picked replacement. However, I think it would mean a lot to him to replace such a revered person, and with a perfectly clean track record and all his talent on the field, there couldn t be a better situation for the Redskins to find themselves in to try to replace Sean Taylor after his tragic death.

15th- Chicago- Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College- The Bears get their QB in Matt Ryan, even though he reminds me a bit of Rex Grossman. In my opinion, Ryan would benefit greatly from film study and a season on the bench to develop. He would learn to better read defenses and would be able to see himself forcing throws when he sometimes shouldn t, even though he seems to have that get on my back and I ll carry you mentality as a QB, or the gun-slinger mentality. He reminds me a bit of Favre in that regard, but if he could improve his ability to read defenses he could be a very good QB in this league. That, combined with his strong arm and very high football IQ would give the Bears the QB they so desperately need.

16th- Philadelphia- DeSean Jackson, WR, California- The Eagles might end up trading McNabb, but whether they keep him or not they will need WR s for McNabb or his replacement to throw to, and Jackson would be a big upgrade over some of the guys they have right now. He is a big play waiting to happen both at WR and when he is returning kicks, and is considered a better prospect than Ted Ginn was last year, just not quite as fast (not many people are). He would give them another big play guy at WR, which would be very valuable for the Eagles, whether they ship McNabb away this year or sometime later.

17th- Arizona- Derek Harvey, DE/OLB, Florida- Arizona needs players in the front 7 to continue their transition into the 3-4 defense. However, they have the players to play both a 4-3 and a 3-4, so Harvey makes a lot of sense here. Harvey might be best at OLB in the 3-4, however, he could also play RE in the 4-3, which gives the Cardinals flexibility as they transition into the 3-4. Or, perhaps they could just stay like this and use both whenever they feel like it. They have that option with this addition.

18th- Buffalo- Dan Connor, ILB, Penn State- Buffalo needs an ILB to replace the loss of London Fletcher, but also has a void at OLB from the loss of Takeo Spikes. Connor would be able to fill both holes, and because of that versatility he makes a lot of sense here. He could play ILB, which is a very important position, or if another ILB emerged, he could play OLB and play very well. That gives the Bills flexibility, but I assume he would play ILB because I do not know of a replacement for Fletcher that is of Connor s caliber.

19th- Minnesota- Calais Campbell, DE, Miami- Here is another surprise selection! Well, to some people it will be, but not really to me. Campbell falling might seem strange, but he has not had a good season this year. If I was him, I would consider staying for my senior year and if he had a good season, he could be the 1st DE off the board in the 2009 draft. However, I doubt that will happen, so I expect him to declare and show off at the combine. That said, I don t know if it will be enough to get himself back into the top 10 mix that he was enjoying a few weeks ago. The Vikings wouldn t mind though, because by adding him here they could add a very good LE prospect that is good against the run (oh god, the Vikings run defense improving?? Not fair.) and is also a very good pass rusher. I believe Darrion Scott is an unrestricted free agent this season also, so adding Campbell would make Scott expendable if I am right about his contract expiring.

20th- Detroit- Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona- The Lions realized shortly after trading Dre Bly that their secondary had little talent or depth, and whaddya know? They have one of the worst passing defenses in the NFL this year, if not the worst. They need secondary help in the worst way, and Cason would be a very big step in that direction. He would add much needed talent and depth to a secondary that lacks playmaking ability and has ever since they lost Bly in the trade to the Broncos.

21st- Dallas (F/ CLE)- Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida- The Cowboys need secondary help, but by adding Jenkins they add a legitimate #2 cornerback (at least in the future) to play opposite Terrance Newman. This move would allow the Cowboys to move Anthony Henry to FS assuming they don t resign Ken Hamlin in the off-season.

22nd- Tennessee- Antonio Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State- The Titans could use a WR and offensive line help last time I checked, but Rodgers-Cromartie is a rare talent and is a big-time playmaker. He would help fill the hole at CB left by Pac-Man if he does not return to the team, but if he does then they end up with two huge playmakers at both corner positions, which would be the ideal scenario for the Titans, and would only make their good defense more potent.

23rd- Atlanta (F/ San Diego)- Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville- The Falcons send pick #42 (480) and pick #66 (260) to the Chargers for pick #23 (760). 740 for 760, that passes the point value test. The Chargers really need a NT and maybe a WR if they are unimpressed with Chambers, but they replace the 2nd they lost to the Dolphins with #42, and end up with two 3rd rounders as a result of this deal. They could add a NT in the 2nd, and bolster their WR depth later in the draft. So, why do the Falcons move up? It isn t difficult to figure out, they need a franchise QB and I truly believe Brian Brohm is that guy. The more I look at the prospects available in the 2nd and 3rd round at the QB position, the more I want Brohm. If the Falcons managed to add Jake Long AND Brian Brohm it would be one of the best drafts we have had in a long time, especially if we maximized the value of all the rest of our picks in the draft. We would solidify the RT position and the QB position for a very long time, and I truly don t think there is a safer pick at QB in the draft than Brohm for reasons I have mentioned probably hundreds of times.

24th- Seattle- Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon- The Seahawks have worn Shaun Alexander down over the years, and as the NFL becomes a 2-back league, the Seahawks finally conform and add Stewart to their fold. Stewart would help prolong Alexander s career by taking some of the pressure off him as a rookie, and would be his future replacement once he finally wore down too much, or his contract expires.

25th- Tampa Bay- Sam Baker, OT, USC- Tampa was rumored to be interested in Joe Thomas last year, but they ended up with Gaines Adams instead. This year, the Bucs get their chance and jump on Sam Baker to play him at LT. They don t have a very good situation there right now, and Baker is a fairly good value here. He is a great technician, and fits their scheme quite well.

26th- NY Giants- DeJuan Tribble, CB, Boston College- The Giants made a good move adding Aaron Ross in last year s draft, but after him it is a fairly steep drop-off talent and depth-wise. Adding Tribble here would put him at the #2 corner opposite Ross, and would establish a very good CB tandem as both of these players developed with each-other in the Giants secondary.

27th- Jaguars- Quentin Groves, DE, Auburn- The Jaguars figure to be in the market for a pass rusher because Bobby McCray may leave via free agency, and they have very little depth behind him. Groves has phenomenal speed off the edge, and would give them an impact pass rusher at RE, even if McCray left as an unrestricted free agent.

28th- Pittsburgh- Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College- The Steelers figure to lose Max Starks and Alan Faneca this off-season, and the current RT that is starting over Max Starks (which begs the question, why do so many people want Starks anyways?) could move inside to fill the hole left by Faneca, where he is better suited anyways. That means RT has a hole, and that is where Cherilus steps in. He is a good value here, and was forced to play out of position at LT this season, but once he returns to his natural position, RT, he should fill the hole at RT quite well for the Steelers, and fits their scheme quite well.

29th- Green Bay- Steve Slaton, RB, West Virginia- The Packers may have found a diamond in the rough in Ryan Grant, but he does not have the big play ability that Slaton has. Adding Slaton, a threat to go the distance every time he gets the ball in his hands, to a stable of RB s including Grant, Jackson and Morency would make for a very interesting training camp battle to see who would remain on the opening day roster.

30th- 49ers (F/ Indy)- Early Doucet, WR, LSU- The 49ers need help at WR in a big way, and adding Doucet here would dramatically help that situation. An offense of Alex Smith, Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, Darrell Jackson and Doucet could be quite the potent one, especially if Jackson can hang on to the ball, which he has had a problem with on and off for his entire career.

31st- Dallas- Andre Caldwell, WR, Florida- The Cowboys have the luxury of another 1st round selection, so they can afford to spend it on a WR here. Terry Glenn is getting quite long in the tooth, and has been having trouble with injuries. So, the Cowboys elect to add Caldwell to their core of WR s, and that would help absorb the loss of Glenn by adding a similar player with tons of speed.

Falcons Offseason:

Resign:

DeAngelo Hall, CB- This team is rebuilding and trying to get younger, but we need to keep D-Hall. He is one of the best corners in the NFL, and he deserves to be paid like it. He will only get better once he, say, reaches the old age of 26 or even 27, still two seasons away from the typical prime of an NFL player. Bringing him back would keep our weak secondary stable, and would keep our pass defense from going into a tailspin.

Michael Boley, OLB- Boley has been amazing this season. He should be in the Pro-Bowl in my opinion, but regardless of his Pro-Bowl status, he should get a LONG contract extension, just like Hall. He is one of the best players on our defense, and with a young core of Boley, Hall, Houston, Anderson and Lewis, this defense could be very good for a long time.

Tyson Clabo, OL- Clabo should be brought back because of his versatility and the depth he provides all along our offensive line. He is very valuable in that regard, and would maintain much needed depth at both OG positions, and would be an emergency OT backup, all at a modest price.

Chauncey Davis, DE-Davis has been decent again this season, and there is no reason to not resign him unless we have a shot at getting Darrion Scott, DE, Vikings in the offseason, which I m not sure we will. He would make a very good tandem with Anderson, and could compete with him for the #1 spot. Davis is good depth though, and is a good player to have in the rotation with Anderson at LE.

Dwayne Blakley, TE- Since the Falcons trade Alge Crumpler in this mock offseason, they need to make sure they keep Blakley as the #2 TE behind Milner, who I really think will start next season. By adding Cottam in the 7th, we are still 3 deep at TE.

Chris Crocker, S- Crocker is good depth at FS and SS, and has played much better this season than he did last year. I think we should bring him back as depth behind Jimmy, and the potential future replacement of Lawyer Milloy depending on Daren Stone.

Free Agency Acquisitions:

Nat Dorsey, OT, Cleveland Browns- This move becomes absolutely essential in my opinion, given our addition of Jake Long and a surprise OT to be named shortly. I do not want both of them starting, because only Long is ready to start, and that is at RT. Weiner would move to LT, and the 2nd round OT would be his backup for at least one season. Long would start at RT, but he has no depth behind him except for Renardo Foster. Adding Dorsey gives us two veteran OT s that could start at either OT position. That kind of versatility is extremely valuable to us in this situation, and that makes him my first priority in free agency.

Bryant Johnson, WR, Arizona Cardinals- Johnson barely makes the #2 priority in free agency over Ryan Starks, but he wins out because he would fill the need that Jenkins was brought here to fill. He would give us a big, rangy target with good hands for our QB to throw to. He would compliment the big play ability of Roddy and Laurent Robinson perfectly, thus making him a very good acquisition. Not only that, but he makes Jenkins expendable.

Ryan Starks, DT, Tennessee Titans- This guy had decent seasons every year he played for the Titans until Haynesworth magically became a beast this season. I would be more than happy to bring him in at a fairly modest salary given his limited opportunity for production this season, and offer him much more playing time. Bringing him in could open up a move for Trey Lewis to UT, but by no means is this a long term solution. We can t upgrade all of our needs in one off-season, but adding Starks means there is more depth and run stopping ability at NT, and by moving Lewis to UT, we have two players that are good against the run starting instead of only one.

Chris Brown, RB, Tennessee Titans- Brown gets the #4 priority because I m not sure what he will be offered salary-wise as a free agent, and because we need to make sure the offensive and defensive lines are well accounted for. RB s are much easier to find than versatile OT s or modestly priced NT s. But, we have a big need at power RB, and that is a void Brown could fill. I would not object to signing him to a 3 year deal with the 3rd season as an option at all. That gives us at least to years to draft someone and develop them behind Brown and Norwood into our future starting RB with Norwood as the change of pace and big play RB. Not only that, but instead of trying to squeeze a power RB into our draft plans this year, we can take a RB much higher next season after we (hopefully) scratch off a number of needs this season, which I think my mock draft does quite well.

Andrew Walter, QB, Raiders- I haven t had this guy in my previous mock off-seasons, but I figured I d add him this time. I didn t realize he was #4 on the Raiders depth chart behind Daunte, McCown and then JaMarcus Russell. He has no future there and I would not be surprised in the least to see him released. So, he becomes available and would be able to compete for the starting job here with Chris Redman, and would not cost much given his limited experience and success. However, he has a very strong arm and that is quite possibly the best quality you can have to be successful in this offense. He would compete with Redman for the #1 job, while Brohm would be the #2. We could keep both Redman and Walter, but it is not necessary.

Losses/Cuts/Retirements:

Wayne Gandy, OT- This guy is far past his point of usefulness, and carries a big price tag. If he doesn t retire we will cut him, and not think twice about it either. By adding Dorsey and Long, we definitely solidify the OT position, and that is before you see our 2nd round selection. (Unless you cheated and you already looked, but who s fault is that? Not mine!)

Demorrio Williams, OLB- I like Demorrio, but I very much doubt that he will be back with us next season. He is not going to start since Brooking will almost certainly move back to WLB, and could get more money and probably a sure starting job with another team, so I fully expect him to leave.

Quinn Ojinnaka, OT- This guy is absolutely horrible, and did not pan out at all. He makes dumb penalties in every single game, and does not fit the scheme well at all at only 292 pounds. He should be one of the first people released considering he has no future with this team, especially after we bolster the OT ranks with this off-season.

P.J. Alexander, OL- He doesn t fit our scheme anymore by a long shot, and was never more than a potential backup in the ZBS anyways. He is a free agent, so we will let him go un-opposed if he is not already gone.

Rod Coleman, DT- Coleman was a great signing when we got him from the Raiders. However, it is very possible he has played less than 10 games combined in the past 2 seasons, and he is being paid between 5 and 6 million dollars a season. That is ridiculous and I fully expect him to be released.

Byron Leftwich, QB- This isn t really a release, we will just not activate the option in his contract that would bring him back for another year. I thought he might be our starter next season, but he erased all chances of that with a horrible performance and subsequent benching a couple of weeks ago.

Joey Harrington, QB- Redman outperformed him after having one snap in probably the past 3 seasons. Redman has a better arm and fits this scheme better than Harrington does, who does not have a strong arm. Joey was alright for us this year, and he didn t make mistakes, which makes him a good candidate as a backup in the NFL, however Redman will be competing for the starting job with Walter and Brohm, so we don t need to keep Joey around as a backup.

Warrick Dunn, RB- I love Warrick but it is time for him to go. He has become woefully ineffective and is only taking carries away from Norwood at this point. We need to release him not only to open up a spot on the depth chart for Chris Brown, but to free up some money that he is simply not earning. I appreciate what he has done for us and I appreciate the kind of person he is and always will be, but this is purely a football move.

Michael Jenkins, WR- The time might have come for us to move on without Jenkins. He has continued to drop passes this season, and with the addition of Bryant Johnson, the role Jenkins was drafted to fill has been filled by a superior player. We could cut Joe Horn also, but the cap hit from releasing him would be much more substantial than it would be for releasing Jenkins.

Morton Andersen, K- He will go back into retirement and hopefully we won t need to call him to come in and kick week 3 like we have the past 2 seasons after we add Art Carmody in the draft. Thanks again Mort!

Falcons Mock Draft:

Trades in this mock:

Atlanta gets: #23 (760)

San Diego gets: #42 (480), #66 (260)  Total: 760 for 740. That balances out.

Atlanta gets: Seattle 4th rounder (#24 in 4th I believe)

Seattle gets: Alge Crumpler

1st- Atlanta- Jake Long, OT, Michigan- Here is a curveball, especially coming from me. I am a firm believer that Jake Long will not be a NFL LT, but I do believe he will be a Pro-Bowl or All-Pro caliber RT. We need a RT, just not as badly as a LT. However, Weiner could manage the LT position, as he was only blocking at RT because Vick was a lefty, so we put our best pass blocker to protect his blind-side. Weiner is our best offensive lineman, and played this position well when he was asked to do so this season. That opens up the starting RT spot, and that is just where I expect Jake Long to be for the next decade. He has the experience to start right away, and fits our scheme perfectly. He is an absolute beast in the running game, and not only stands his man up or helps create a hole, but simply dominates him and moves him 5 yards off the line of scrimmage. He has problems with speed rushers, but otherwise is very good in pass protection, making him an ideal RT prospect.

1st- Atlanta (F/ San Diego)- Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville- The Falcons send pick #42 (480) and pick #66 (260) to the Chargers for pick #23 (760). 740 for 760, that passes the point value test. The Chargers really need a NT and maybe a WR if they are unimpressed with Chambers, but they replace the 2nd they lost to the Dolphins with #42, and end up with two 3rd rounders as a result of this deal. They could add a NT in the 2nd, and bolster their WR depth later in the draft. So, why do the Falcons move up? It isn t difficult to figure out, they need a franchise QB and I truly believe Brian Brohm is that guy. The more I look at the prospects available in the 2nd and 3rd round at the QB position, the more I want Brohm. If the Falcons managed to add Jake Long AND Brian Brohm it would be one of the best drafts we have had in a long time, especially if we maximized the value of all the rest of our picks in the draft. We would solidify the RT position and the QB position for a very long time, and I truly don t think there is a safer pick at QB in the draft than Brohm for reasons I have mentioned probably hundreds of times.

2nd- Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss- In this deep OT draft class, it is possible that Oher falls this far. He is projected as a late 1st or early 2nd in the 2009 draft class, and has said he would declare if he was projected in the first 2 rounds. He could work out well, but his 40 time is nothing special, but he is a very impressive athletic specimen. We will have to see if he declares and how he does at the combine. However, it appears the draft Oher with our 1st round pick idea was fairly unfounded, and I will admit I was on that support group until I decided I liked Clady better. Anyways, Oher would be a great addition for us here. We already have RT locked up with Long, and by moving Weiner over to LT because he is our best pass protector, we can afford to develop Oher for a season while Weiner starts. Imagine if our two OT s were Oher AND Long??!! That would be absolutely amazing. We would have two of the best OT s in the NFL for a decade, in my opinion, and that is something I don t know if we have ever been able to say. This selection gives us that potential, and we have all discussed why Oher would be a fine LT prospect. He is not worth a top 10 pick or a top 15 pick right now, and with the concerns about his ability to pick up an NFL playbook quickly enough to contribute right away, this is a legitimate option for him on draft day. And I have to say, I would not stop smiling for about a week if we ended up with Jake Long, Brian Brohm and Michael Oher in the first 2 rounds.

4th- Terrance Wheatley, CB, Colorado- This guy definitely helps solidify our depth at cornerback. I really like Irons, and think he could develop into a decent nickel corner, and Wheatley has the potential to start as well. He has injury concerns regarding his wrist, but hasn t had problems with his wrist this season that I know of. He is slightly undersized at 5 9 , 178, but has awesome speed and plays bigger than he is. He is a good open field tackler, and reminds me a bit of Antoine Winfield because of his aggression towards the ball carrier in the open field, looking to make the hit. He has very good hands and has 14 career interceptions at Colorado, and is very good in man coverage. He would add a legitimate 5th corner to our depth chart, but I personally believe he could phase out Lewis Sanders as a rookie, or at least take playing time from him.

4th (f/ SEA)- Jonathan Goff, ILB, Vanderbilt- I really like this pick. Goff is a good ILB, and is very durable (which is something I d LOVE to have at ILB after the Hartwell fiasco). He has good size and speed, and was even a team captain as a junior in the 2006 season. He is a good leader, and, in my opinion, a very underrated player. I d have absolutely no problem snagging him with this selection and allowing him to compete with Tony Taylor for the starting job or playing time throughout the year. I see this guy as our future at ILB.

4th (compensation for Kerney)- Art Carmody, K, Louisville- This pick might be one of the very few constants in my mock drafts. Carmody is the best Kicker in this draft in my opinion, and it is about **** time that we get a kicker of his caliber to help us win games with our kicker, not lose them because of our kicker. He is very accurate and has a strong leg despite his small frame. I am convinced he is the solution to our ever-persistent kicking woes, and that makes him a no-brainer selection here.

5th- Maurice Murray, DT, New Mexico State- From this pick through the rest of the draft I am not focusing on trying to find some steal that will magically come in and start, I am trying to add depth. Murray has good size at 6 4 , 310 pounds, and would add good depth to the NT position. It is legitimately possible that Lewis moves to UT next season to team with Babs following Coleman s probable release. That means Randy Starks, our FA acquisition, would get substantial playing time at NT and Montavious Stanley and Murray would back him up. I think they can both contribute, and both are good against the run, and have the strength and football knowledge to stay in their lanes to allow our linebackers to fly around making plays.

6th- Adam Kraus, OG/C, Michigan- Kraus may seem a little undersized, but I love his versatility. He has played and played well at all interior offensive line positions while at Michigan, and that definitely makes him stick out this late in the draft. He is 6 6 , 305, but with that frame he could certainly get bigger. He could compete with Datish for supremacy on the C depth chart and the RG depth chart, and could end up winning the C battle. I would like this pick because he adds depth to our interior line, and with some weight training, would be right in line with our scheme demands, especially if he was going to be moved to center.

6th (F/ Pitt)- Kirston Pittman, DE, LSU- I am starting to like this kid a bunch. He is a hard worker and has had to earn everything he has ever gotten at LSU. The Tigers entered the season unsure of how the RE position would be and who would fill the starting role, and Pittman really emerged during the off-season. He had to fight to stay on the team and even play, and ended up the starter. I would like to take a flier on him late to try to add some depth behind Abraham (preferably someone with some pass rushing ability) and I think he could make the team. He has good speed off the edge and has a knack for getting QB hurries, if not sacks. Why not give him a shot? I think he s earned it.

7th- Brad Cottom, TE, Tennesee- Here is a potential steal huh? This guy is huge. He is 6 8 , 270 and runs a 4.74 40. That is pretty ridiculous. He has good hands and is an excellent blocker, which is just what we want from our TE s. He has had trouble with injuries, some stemming from a car accident, while at Tennessee, however he is a great athlete and I think he could be our #3 TE as a rookie. I am convinced he could make the team because of his superior blocking ability, and his potential that has not been tapped because of injuries. It s just a 7th round pick, and if he could turn into a quality backup or, god forbid, a starter, why not take the flier on him?

Hope you all enjoyed it, or at least took something out of it, or somehow found it interesting. Comments are definately appreciated. Thanks for reading.

mikevick7owns

Great, great job man.  I would absolutely be ecstatic if we got Long, Brohm, and Oher.  I agree with what you said about Long.  He is an absolute beast when it comes to the running game.  He would instantly upgrade our OL. 

I've already mentioned why I like Brohm so much.  I'll take a consistent QB over an intriguing prospect with more "upside" any day of the week. 

I like the Carmody selection.  Some may say it is too early for a kicker, but we have put this position off for far too long, and Carmody looks like he will be a very solid kicker.

Interesting selection of the CB, I haven't seen him play, but I like the thought of having better depth at the position.

I read your thread asking questions about Brad Cottom (sp?) last week, and I was able to check him out in the SEC championship.  He looked really impressive, an absolute beast at that.  He would be a potential steal late in the draft.

Overall, you did a great job.  If this is the way the draft turns out, I will personally fly to wherever you are at and shake your hand.  Thanks for the hard work.

thank you very much scott24falcs. i appreciate the comments and the props. as i said, i would be smiling for a week at least if we got long, brohm and oher in the first 2 rounds. its hard to screw up a draft that starts out that well. :laugh:

i wish more people were commenting, but i appreciate you reading it and telling me your opinion.

scott24falcons,

im not sure whats up with him. i havent found a good scouting report, and that is mostly because scouting sites and such start from the best players and work their way down. there is something there i havent found to explain it, but i have a hunch there is something there. from what i know of him, though, he is a very good leader, is very durable and is a good tackler. its possible he could need work in coverage, but his size and strength checks out, and he has good speed also. i think it might have something to do with his ability in coverage, vanderbilts average season (were they bad? i dont remember, not good though) and im not sure the defense was anything special around him. just a hunch.

steve barktowski,

its very possible oher goes higher than that. however, with probable 1st rounders of jake long, ryan clady, sam baker and gosder cherilus, oher would probably go mid-late first is my guess. but his difficulty with adjusting to learning an nfl playbook could cause major concern and drop him down. i mean, how do you think he will do on the wonderlic? i dont know what to expect from him. he could do well in the drills, not so well in the interviews, and not well on the wonderlic. i dont know what that would do to his stock, it would probably keep him around where he is projected now. that is late 1st to early 2nd. thats really all i can say. he has the talent and potential of a top 10 pick, but his concerns about what hes got above the shoulders could keep him grounded. but he said he'd declare if he was supposed to go in the top 2 rounds, and he would be a lock to go in the top 2 for sure.

just my opinion.

I agree squirreldawg. If we want Brohm we are gonna have to get him @ 3 or wherever we are. IF he impresses that much, we also have to wonder if a team will trade to a pick or 2 ahead of us for him.

It is easy to say he isnt worth it now, but he had a great college career, is very smart and articulate, and I am sure he will impress coaches in interviews...not to mention he carries a positive attitaude and a drive to win, even when the team around him is underachieving.

Sounds like an ideal Offseason to me.

Something I'm unsure of is that Brohm might be taken earlier, and I would certainly not want to trade up for Ryan or Woodson. Long and Oher would be amazing though. Love the idea of adding Chris Brown at RB, Bryant Johnson and Starks also. OT is another bonus :)

the point is, if oher doesnt fall someone else will.

and its very debatable that hes the 2nd or 3rd best in this draft. long is the best, and clady is the 2nd best (best LT imo). oher might be 3rd, but that means hes a better ot prospect than both baker and cherilus, which i might agree with, but they are also more polished, have more experience and dont have the same concerns about intelligence that oher does.

he is projected late 1st to early 2nd, and you can say hes one of the best ots in the draft all you want, i really dont care. but there are legitimate concerns that could cause him to fall, but his potential could push him way up. and i really dont think you can tell me concretely that it will go one way and not the other.

"and i really dont think you can tell me concretely that it will go one way and not the other."

That's the thing. None of us actually no very specifically where these guys will go in the draft. What happens in the bowl games, Senior Bowl, combine, interviews will give us a better reading on them. As of right now, it seems to be a consensus that none of the "big 3" QBs warrant a top 3-5 selection. But, I am almost willing to bet that by draft day one of these 3 will be considered a top 5 pick. Also, as a collective whole, we tend to talk about the same 50 or so players in the draft. As we all know, come April there will be many more players drafted than that. And some guys will "come out of nowhere" and rise up the board.

Falcons Offseason:

First and foremost great job. I appreciate all the thought and analysis.

Resign:

DeAngelo Hall, CB- This team is rebuilding and trying to get younger, but we need to keep D-Hall. He is one of the best corners in the NFL, and he deserves to be paid like it. He will only get better once he, say, reaches the old age of 26 or even 27, still two seasons away from the typical prime of an NFL player. Bringing him back would keep our weak secondary stable, and would keep our pass defense from going into a tailspin.

--Tough call as he is talented. I want him if he wants to be here otherwise let him walk

Michael Boley, OLB- Boley has been amazing this season. He should be in the Pro-Bowl in my opinion, but regardless of his Pro-Bowl status, he should get a LONG contract extension, just like Hall. He is one of the best players on our defense, and with a young core of Boley, Hall, Houston, Anderson and Lewis, this defense could be very good for a long time.

Tyson Clabo, OL- Clabo should be brought back because of his versatility and the depth he provides all along our offensive line. He is very valuable in that regard, and would maintain much needed depth at both OG positions, and would be an emergency OT backup, all at a modest price.

Chauncey Davis, DE- Davis has been decent again this season, and there is no reason to not resign him unless we have a shot at getting Darrion Scott, DE, Vikings in the offseason, which I m not sure we will. He would make a very good tandem with Anderson, and could compete with him for the #1 spot. Davis is good depth though, and is a good player to have in the rotation with Anderson at LE.

Dwayne Blakley, TE- Since the Falcons trade Alge Crumpler in this mock offseason, they need to make sure they keep Blakley as the #2 TE behind Milner, who I really think will start next season. By adding Cottam in the 7th, we are still 3 deep at TE.

--Agree with all, but if Algae is gone, I think we go a pass catching TE earlier

Chris Crocker, S- Crocker is good depth at FS and SS, and has played much better this season than he did last year. I think we should bring him back as depth behind Jimmy, and the potential future replacement of Lawyer Milloy depending on Daren Stone.

YES; also plays CB

Free Agency Acquisitions:

Nat Dorsey, OT, Cleveland Browns- This move becomes absolutely essential in my opinion, given our addition of Jake Long and a surprise OT to be named shortly. I do not want both of them starting, because only Long is ready to start, and that is at RT. Weiner would move to LT, and the 2nd round OT would be his backup for at least one season. Long would start at RT, but he has no depth behind him except for Renardo Foster. Adding Dorsey gives us two veteran OT s that could start at either OT position. That kind of versatility is extremely valuable to us in this situation, and that makes him my first priority in free agency.

Nice player, but would rather Flozell Adams

Bryant Johnson, WR, Arizona Cardinals- Johnson barely makes the #2 priority in free agency over Ryan Starks, but he wins out because he would fill the need that Jenkins was brought here to fill. He would give us a big, rangy target with good hands for our QB to throw to. He would compliment the big play ability of Roddy and Laurent Robinson perfectly, thus making him a very good acquisition. Not only that, but he makes Jenkins expendable.

Very good acquisition, not sure he's going anywhere. Both Fitzgerald and Boldin are hurt often

Ryan Starks, DT, Tennessee Titans- This guy had decent seasons every year he played for the Titans until Haynesworth magically became a beast this season. I would be more than happy to bring him in at a fairly modest salary given his limited opportunity for production this season, and offer him much more playing time. Bringing him in could open up a move for Trey Lewis to UT, but by no means is this a long term solution. We can t upgrade all of our needs in one off-season, but adding Starks means there is more depth and run stopping ability at NT, and by moving Lewis to UT, we have two players that are good against the run starting instead of only one.

Nice pick up

Chris Brown, RB, Tennessee Titans- Brown gets the #4 priority because I m not sure what he will be offered salary-wise as a free agent, and because we need to make sure the offensive and defensive lines are well accounted for. RB s are much easier to find than versatile OT s or modestly priced NT s. But, we have a big need at power RB, and that is a void Brown could fill. I would not object to signing him to a 3 year deal with the 3rd season as an option at all. That gives us at least to years to draft someone and develop them behind Brown and Norwood into our future starting RB with Norwood as the change of pace and big play RB. Not only that, but instead of trying to squeeze a power RB into our draft plans this year, we can take a RB much higher next season after we (hopefully) scratch off a number of needs this season, which I think my mock draft does quite well.

God i hope not. Guy sucks. Far from a power back

Andrew Walter, QB, Raiders- I haven t had this guy in my previous mock off-seasons, but I figured I d add him this time. I didn t realize he was #4 on the Raiders depth chart behind Daunte, McCown and then JaMarcus Russell. He has no future there and I would not be surprised in the least to see him released. So, he becomes available and would be able to compete for the starting job here with Chris Redman, and would not cost much given his limited experience and success. However, he has a very strong arm and that is quite possibly the best quality you can have to be successful in this offense. He would compete with Redman for the #1 job, while Brohm would be the #2. We could keep both Redman and Walter, but it is not necessary.

God no.

Losses/Cuts/Retirements:

Wayne Gandy, OT- This guy is far past his point of usefulness, and carries a big price tag. If he doesn t retire we will cut him, and not think twice about it either. By adding Dorsey and Long, we definitely solidify the OT position, and that is before you see our 2nd round selection. (Unless you cheated and you already looked, but who s fault is that? Not mine!)

Demorrio Williams, OLB- I like Demorrio, but I very much doubt that he will be back with us next season. He is not going to start since Brooking will almost certainly move back to WLB, and could get more money and probably a sure starting job with another team, so I fully expect him to leave.

Quinn Ojinnaka, OT- This guy is absolutely horrible, and did not pan out at all. He makes dumb penalties in every single game, and does not fit the scheme well at all at only 292 pounds. He should be one of the first people released considering he has no future with this team, especially after we bolster the OT ranks with this off-season.

P.J. Alexander, OL- He doesn t fit our scheme anymore by a long shot, and was never more than a potential backup in the ZBS anyways. He is a free agent, so we will let him go un-opposed if he is not already gone.

Rod Coleman, DT- Coleman was a great signing when we got him from the Raiders. However, it is very possible he has played less than 10 games combined in the past 2 seasons, and he is being paid between 5 and 6 million dollars a season. That is ridiculous and I fully expect him to be released.

Byron Leftwich, QB- This isn t really a release, we will just not activate the option in his contract that would bring him back for another year. I thought he might be our starter next season, but he erased all chances of that with a horrible performance and subsequent benching a couple of weeks ago.

Joey Harrington, QB- Redman outperformed him after having one snap in probably the past 3 seasons. Redman has a better arm and fits this scheme better than Harrington does, who does not have a strong arm. Joey was alright for us this year, and he didn t make mistakes, which makes him a good candidate as a backup in the NFL, however Redman will be competing for the starting job with Walter and Brohm, so we don t need to keep Joey around as a backup.

Warrick Dunn, RB- I love Warrick but it is time for him to go. He has become woefully ineffective and is only taking carries away from Norwood at this point. We need to release him not only to open up a spot on the depth chart for Chris Brown, but to free up some money that he is simply not earning. I appreciate what he has done for us and I appreciate the kind of person he is and always will be, but this is purely a football move.

Michael Jenkins, WR- The time might have come for us to move on without Jenkins. He has continued to drop passes this season, and with the addition of Bryant Johnson, the role Jenkins was drafted to fill has been filled by a superior player. We could cut Joe Horn also, but the cap hit from releasing him would be much more substantial than it would be for releasing Jenkins.

Morton Andersen, K- He will go back into retirement and hopefully we won t need to call him to come in and kick week 3 like we have the past 2 seasons after we add Art Carmody in the draft. Thanks again Mort!

AGREE on all; rather have Redman for a season. I'm changing mine that kept Joey

Falcons Mock Draft:

Trades in this mock:

Atlanta gets: #23 (760)

San Diego gets: #42 (480), #66 (260) Total: 760 for 740. That balances out.

Atlanta gets: Seattle 4th rounder (#24 in 4th I believe)

Seattle gets: Alge Crumpler

1st- Atlanta- Jake Long, OT, Michigan- Here is a curveball, especially coming from me. I am a firm believer that Jake Long will not be a NFL LT, but I do believe he will be a Pro-Bowl or All-Pro caliber RT. We need a RT, just not as badly as a LT. However, Weiner could manage the LT position, as he was only blocking at RT because Vick was a lefty, so we put our best pass blocker to protect his blind-side. Weiner is our best offensive lineman, and played this position well when he was asked to do so this season. That opens up the starting RT spot, and that is just where I expect Jake Long to be for the next decade. He has the experience to start right away, and fits our scheme perfectly. He is an absolute beast in the running game, and not only stands his man up or helps create a hole, but simply dominates him and moves him 5 yards off the line of scrimmage. He has problems with speed rushers, but otherwise is very good in pass protection, making him an ideal RT prospect.

--IF trade happens as you predict I like

1st- Atlanta (F/ San Diego)- Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville- The Falcons send pick #42 (480) and pick #66 (260) to the Chargers for pick #23 (760). 740 for 760, that passes the point value test. The Chargers really need a NT and maybe a WR if they are unimpressed with Chambers, but they replace the 2nd they lost to the Dolphins with #42, and end up with two 3rd rounders as a result of this deal. They could add a NT in the 2nd, and bolster their WR depth later in the draft. So, why do the Falcons move up? It isn t difficult to figure out, they need a franchise QB and I truly believe Brian Brohm is that guy. The more I look at the prospects available in the 2nd and 3rd round at the QB position, the more I want Brohm. If the Falcons managed to add Jake Long AND Brian Brohm it would be one of the best drafts we have had in a long time, especially if we maximized the value of all the rest of our picks in the draft. We would solidify the RT position and the QB position for a very long time, and I truly don t think there is a safer pick at QB in the draft than Brohm for reasons I have mentioned probably hundreds of times.

This will happen.

2nd- Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss- In this deep OT draft class, it is possible that Oher falls this far. He is projected as a late 1st or early 2nd in the 2009 draft class, and has said he would declare if he was projected in the first 2 rounds. He could work out well, but his 40 time is nothing special, but he is a very impressive athletic specimen. We will have to see if he declares and how he does at the combine. However, it appears the draft Oher with our 1st round pick idea was fairly unfounded, and I will admit I was on that support group until I decided I liked Clady better. Anyways, Oher would be a great addition for us here. We already have RT locked up with Long, and by moving Weiner over to LT because he is our best pass protector, we can afford to develop Oher for a season while Weiner starts. Imagine if our two OT s were Oher AND Long??!! That would be absolutely amazing. We would have two of the best OT s in the NFL for a decade, in my opinion, and that is something I don t know if we have ever been able to say. This selection gives us that potential, and we have all discussed why Oher would be a fine LT prospect. He is not worth a top 10 pick or a top 15 pick right now, and with the concerns about his ability to pick up an NFL playbook quickly enough to contribute right away, this is a legitimate option for him on draft day. And I have to say, I would not stop smiling for about a week if we ended up with Jake Long, Brian Brohm and Michael Oher in the first 2 rounds.

I have him also

4th- Terrance Wheatley, CB, Colorado- This guy definitely helps solidify our depth at cornerback. I really like Irons, and think he could develop into a decent nickel corner, and Wheatley has the potential to start as well. He has injury concerns regarding his wrist, but hasn t had problems with his wrist this season that I know of. He is slightly undersized at 5 9 , 178, but has awesome speed and plays bigger than he is. He is a good open field tackler, and reminds me a bit of Antoine Winfield because of his aggression towards the ball carrier in the open field, looking to make the hit. He has very good hands and has 14 career interceptions at Colorado, and is very good in man coverage. He would add a legitimate 5th corner to our depth chart, but I personally believe he could phase out Lewis Sanders as a rookie, or at least take playing time from him.

Not bad, but we need a returner type as well

4th (f/ SEA)- Jonathan Goff, ILB, Vanderbilt- I really like this pick. Goff is a good ILB, and is very durable (which is something I d LOVE to have at ILB after the Hartwell fiasco). He has good size and speed, and was even a team captain as a junior in the 2006 season. He is a good leader, and, in my opinion, a very underrated player. I d have absolutely no problem snagging him with this selection and allowing him to compete with Tony Taylor for the starting job or playing time throughout the year. I see this guy as our future at ILB.

--Nice pick

4th (compensation for Kerney)- Art Carmody, K, Louisville- This pick might be one of the very few constants in my mock drafts. Carmody is the best Kicker in this draft in my opinion, and it is about **** time that we get a kicker of his caliber to help us win games with our kicker, not lose them because of our kicker. He is very accurate and has a strong leg despite his small frame. I am convinced he is the solution to our ever-persistent kicking woes, and that makes him a no-brainer selection here.

I actually like Coutou but this guy aint bad

5th- Maurice Murray, DT, New Mexico State- From this pick through the rest of the draft I am not focusing on trying to find some steal that will magically come in and start, I am trying to add depth. Murray has good size at 6 4 , 310 pounds, and would add good depth to the NT position. It is legitimately possible that Lewis moves to UT next season to team with Babs following Coleman s probable release. That means Randy Starks, our FA acquisition, would get substantial playing time at NT and Montavious Stanley and Murray would back him up. I think they can both contribute, and both are good against the run, and have the strength and football knowledge to stay in their lanes to allow our linebackers to fly around making plays.

Like the position know nothing about him.

6th- Adam Kraus, OG/C, Michigan- Kraus may seem a little undersized, but I love his versatility. He has played and played well at all interior offensive line positions while at Michigan, and that definitely makes him stick out this late in the draft. He is 6 6 , 305, but with that frame he could certainly get bigger. He could compete with Datish for supremacy on the C depth chart and the RG depth chart, and could end up winning the C battle. I would like this pick because he adds depth to our interior line, and with some weight training, would be right in line with our scheme demands, especially if he was going to be moved to center.

6th (F/ Pitt)- Kirston Pittman, DE, LSU- I am starting to like this kid a bunch. He is a hard worker and has had to earn everything he has ever gotten at LSU. The Tigers entered the season unsure of how the RE position would be and who would fill the starting role, and Pittman really emerged during the off-season. He had to fight to stay on the team and even play, and ended up the starter. I would like to take a flier on him late to try to add some depth behind Abraham (preferably someone with some pass rushing ability) and I think he could make the team. He has good speed off the edge and has a knack for getting QB hurries, if not sacks. Why not give him a shot? I think he s earned it.

Like the last two picks from a position point of view

7th- Brad Cottom, TE, Tennesee- Here is a potential steal huh? This guy is huge. He is 6 8 , 270 and runs a 4.74 40. That is pretty ridiculous. He has good hands and is an excellent blocker, which is just what we want from our TE s. He has had trouble with injuries, some stemming from a car accident, while at Tennessee, however he is a great athlete and I think he could be our #3 TE as a rookie. I am convinced he could make the team because of his superior blocking ability, and his potential that has not been tapped because of injuries. It s just a 7th round pick, and if he could turn into a quality backup or, god forbid, a starter, why not take the flier on him?

Nice pick for depth

Hope you all enjoyed it, or at least took something out of it, or somehow found it interesting. Comments are definately appreciated. Thanks for reading.

OVerall great job and good read