Redman could be the next option

!owahorse

Redman could be the next option

By Steve Wyche | Monday, December 3, 2007, 03:56 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Falcons coach Bobby Petrino didn t want to comment on who the team s starting quarterback will be when it plays host to the Saints Monday night because players were given the day off following their 28-16 loss at St. Louis Sunday.

Even so, it seems as if is will be hard for Petrino not to give Chris Redman a shot after Redman played well in the fourth quarter of Atlanta s ninth loss in 12 games. Besides getting rid of the ball quickly and being accurate, players seemed to rally around Redman, something that they have rarely, if ever done with Joey Harrington.

That, in itself, would seem reason enough to play Redman. Petrino has given Harrington multiple chances to secure the starting job and has ended up replacing him or starting someone else, repeatedly.

Harrington has not been awful but Atlanta s offense is mundane and unproductive. As for Byron Leftwich, his immobility seems to be his biggest drawback. Petrino would like to play him but with a shaky, injury-racked offensive line, Leftwich hardly stands a chance.

On the issue of the offensive line, Petrino s deactivation of longtime starting right guard Kynan Forney vs. the Rams was interesting. Petrino did not want to explain why he had Forney watch the game in street clothes, but it wasn t health related. So sitting a seven-year starter for non-health related reasons could mean that Petrino has no further use for Forney and is giving D Anthony Batiste a shot. Petrino said Monday that Batiste played hard and competitively and was solid in pass protection.

Forney wasn t the only player to be moved down the depth chart Sunday. Second-year safety Jimmy Williams was deactivated for Antoine Harris. Williams has struggled to do what is needed to get on the field defensively and his spotty special teams play resulted in coaches putting someone else on the field.

Whether Williams gets motivated and is on the field next week remains to be seen but Petrino has given guys 12 games to prove themselves, so he s seen enough.

Who knows Redman Could be another Tom Brady.I said COULD BE. Brady came from nowhere(Mich didnt start) a late round draft pick a backup who finally got a chance. MAYBE we can tell more Monday night.. A great time to come out of the woodwork MNF!!!:)

kenk (12/4/2007)
Who knows Redman Could be another Tom Brady.I said COULD BE. Brady came from nowhere(Mich didnt start)a late round draft pick a backup who finally got a chance. MAYBE we can tell more Monday night.. A great time to come out of the woodwork MNF!!!:)

AND YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT THAT. NEW ENGLAND HAD NO IDEA WHAT THEY HAD IN BRADY UNTIL THEY WERE FORCED INTO PLAYING HIM. DON'T GET ME WRONG, I'M NOT SAYING THAT REDMAN IS TOM TERRIFIC, BUT HE MAY BE MORE THAN WE THINK HE IS. GIVE ME A GOOD PERFORMANCE MONDAY NIGHT ...... AND MAYBE WE SHOULD RECONSIDER THE WAY WE SEE HIM. JUST A THOUGHT.

aka ...... REV2000

I tell you what.. I like Redman. I like his poise in the pocket and he gets rid of the ball quickly and frankly he led us on 2 touchdown drives.. that's the most all year by anyone of our quarterbacks. He very well could be an answer but he is not THE answer. He is the best option for the Falcons the rest of the year. Frankly we need to keep losing though so we can get a high draft pick. We're not going to the playoffs this year. I hate watching us lose and I cheer for us every weekend but in the end we must keep losing. I want a QB in the first round and I want the most talented QB in the pool.

Cheers Atlanta!!

GoDawgs1968

kenk (12/4/2007)
Who knows Redman Could be another Tom Brady.I said COULD BE. Brady came from nowhere(Mich didnt start)a late round draft pick a backup who finally got a chance. MAYBE we can tell more Monday night.. A great time to come out of the woodwork MNF!!!:)

I would say a much more likely scenario is that Redman could be the next Tony Romo, and that aint that bad either.

rhourk (12/5/2007)
kenk (12/4/2007)

I would say a much more likely scenario is that Redman could be the next Tony Romo, and that aint that bad either.

<<<

That is ok with me!;)