To everyone who says we need a mobile qb

falcon1fan

To revive the likes of YKW please take time to look at the NFL history books and understand that scrambling qbs generaly dont fare well in this league and not 1 has ever won a superbowl. As far as im concerned Vick wasnt a bust but he wasnt very good either and definately not worth a 1 pick. Tim Tebow is ok, but its alot easier to run ove college LBs. Im not saying that the qb of the future shouldnt be able to move and keep plays alive, but if we draft another scrambler it might be enough to push me over the edge.

yeah...history doesn't show too well for mobile QBs, but then again, there haven't been that many and having a mobile QB was not seen as much of a wanted aspect until Vick came in.......history of the modern day mobile QB has not been long enough to really judge in my opinion.

how many teams have won a suber bowl with a running back who runs a 4.1/40yard dash? doesn't mean I wouldn't take an RB that could run that fast!

I feel like with Brohm, Ryan, or possibly even woodson that the time table may be less than expected. I hear people say that brohm is a system qb but that just isnt true. He has put up great numbers in two totally different systems. I live in louisville, but am a UK fan so please dont use that arguement, so I have seen him play from high school on up. He really is talented and very intelligent. He has first hand knowledge of the system and can make all the throws. Screw Ryan. And im not sold on woodson ( my teams qb). He has maybe the best upside in the draft, but could be developemental. He has a cannon arm  but too many throws get away from him.

I feel like with Brohm, Ryan, or possibly even woodson that the time table may be less than expected. I hear people say that brohm is a system qb but that just isnt true. He has put up great numbers in two totally different systems. I live in louisville, but am a UK fan so please dont use that arguement, so I have seen him play from high school on up. He really is talented and very intelligent. He has first hand knowledge of the system and can make all the throws. Screw Ryan. And im not sold on woodson ( my teams qb). He has maybe the best upside in the draft, but could be developemental. He has a cannon arm but too many throws get away from him.
at least he has a arm(unlike some people)

I didnt say mobile I said scrambling. There is a huge difference. Both of those guys were pass first, run last. There is a long list of mobile qbs that have won, but not 1 classified as a scrambler. Brohm, Brennan, And Booty are all mobile qbs. and I would have no problem with them, Dennis Dixon and Tim Tebow are scramblers who will never be great qbs in this league.

Randall Cunningham was probably the best scrambler who had talent around him and he played on some pretty good teams. Vick had a few years where the talent in atl was good enough to win. The problem with scramblers is usually inconsistencies in their passing game. Vick being a prime example. He could run like the wind any time he wanted, but couldnt beat you with his arm alone. Once tams figured that out we went 8-8 two years in a row and the future wasnt looking positive. I have never been a fan of run first qbs and with nfl defenses its only a matter of time before it gets read and shut down.

there have not been too many black QBs who have won the SB period....maybe just one(Williams - redskins)?

so I guess we should stay away from black QBs since history doesn't fair to well for them?

also...I wonder how many QBs named Colt have ever one the SB? Probably need to stay away from dudes named Colt. Best to draft a QB named Steve, Tom or Joe.

;)

Thats not what I said, I said mobile qbs have fared well, scrambler havent. Elway, young, favre, roethlisberger, manning, brady. All have the ability to extend plays but defenses dont fear the big gains. Thats mobility. Cunningham, vick, Mcnabb, Moon all were scramblers and not 1 superbowl title. Some have been good qbs but couldnt win the ones that mattered.

Its not about black or white at all. I agree that not many black qbs have suited up in the nfl. Things dont always have to be about race, even though some people always want to take it there. I will not argue race, only facts. I will keep it civil and intelligent as long as it stays there. As soon as it drifts off im done.

you missed my point regarding the "black" angle.....the point wasn't that it was about race, it was about the fact that there simply have not been enough througout the history to make a fair judgment. That is what I was saying about the modern mobile QB.....there have not been enough for us to say that it isn't going to work and there have not been enough to compare them to the pure pocket passers.

Yeah...think of all the semi-mobile QBs who didn't make the playoffs.......now think of all the pocket passers who didn't do well.

It seems you are placing to much of the pile on a single player. Can you honestly tell yourself that they didn't win Superbowl BECAUSE of themselves, or was it do to the lack of talent around them.

Do you think Vick would have put up better numbers if he had WR talent, a good offensive line, and a coaching staff with a scheme that could compete in the NFL? What about Vick's lack of a defense to support him? I am not trying to prop Vick up or "make excuses", it is just one example of people not looking at the big picture.

That I can agree with. I think the modern era qb came and went with vick. There arent many people in the college ranks who run 4.29-4.32 40s and even fewer that play qb. History seems to lean twards the pocket passers and it carries into the modern day scheme. From Manning To brady To the young guns like Romo ( who I absoloutely hate) mobility is a plus but being a passing qb comes first. I hope that im alive to see the first qb who rushes for 110-15 tds in a season with 500-800 yards and wins a superbowl. Like the saying goes those who dont know their history are doomed to repeat it. An please allow me to apoligize for the last response. It just bothers me when it has to lean twards race and ruin a good debate. I misunderstood and im sorry.