Which veterans would you cut/let walk and why?

Dunn - incredible human being but not the back we need in this offense

Brooking - Either catches the runner from behind or gets trucked.  Too slow and old to play the WLB anymore.

McClure - Watch the games he routinely gets run over or misses blocks.  He is small.

Gandy - Duh

Demorrio Williams - Our safeties are bigger than he is. He is a prototypical 3rd down linebacker but we're paying him as a starter.  Pay cut or get cut.  Can't get off blocks.

The three headed monster at QB - Keep Redman and ditch Harrington and Leftwich.

Just my 2 cents.  I'm interested on what other people think. 

Gandy - obvious

Dunn - not what we need

Forney - declining for some reason

Leftwich - can't stay healthy and not awfully effective when he is

Horn - just not who he used to be

Brooking - unless he'll take a pay cut. We should draft a MLB to replace him and let him train up a year unless he comes out like gangbusters.

D. Williams - Nicholas can play the WLB. Williams is a liability against the run.

Direwolf

Brooking - Either catches the runner from behind or gets trucked. Too slow and old to play the WLB anymore.

McClure - Watch the games he routinely gets run over or misses blocks. He is small.

Gandy - Duh

Demorrio Williams - Our safeties are bigger than he is. He is a prototypical 3rd down linebacker but we're paying him as a starter. Pay cut or get cut. Can't get off blocks.

Just my 2 cents. I'm interested on what other people think.

We're paying Demorrio as a starter?????? Since when did he renegotiate his contract????? We are paying him as a 4th round pick in the draft, like he should be paid. Maybe you mean he's going to want starting LB money when he hits FA & that may be true, but we are definitely not paying him like a starter right now.

Other candidates:

Milloy - he's getting to old

Forney - just not a fit for this offense

Crumper - Getting bigger, slower, and bad knees

D. Hall - attitude/ego is getting much bigger than his ability get something for him before he walks away for nothing in return.

Coleman - age/injuries, time to move on

Coleman has to be in that discussion too. He earned 4 million this season in base salary, counted an additional 1.9 million in signing bonus proration, for a total hit of almost 6 million.

Next year we're on the hook for a 4.25 million base salary and with the same signing bonus proration, he'll count 6.15 million against our cap. That's too much for a lineman who will be 32 at the start of next season and is coming off major multiple major surgeries.

Byron

Redman or Harrington (we need one for backup. Tough call)

Gandy

Dunn (I enjoyed watching him but it's time to move on)

McClure

Brooking (unless he takes a cut and stays as backup)

It's looking like Forney may be on the block as well.

I think we keep Alge and most of the defense stays intact. Dmo might get traded.

Just my 2 cents.

Byron

Redman or Harrington (we need one for backup. Tough call)

Gandy

Dunn (I enjoyed watching him but it's time to move on)

McClure

Brooking (unless he takes a cut and stays as backup)

It's looking like Forney may be on the block as well.

I think we keep Alge and most of the defense stays intact. Dmo might get traded.

Just my 2 cents.[/quote]

we only resigned him to a one year contract last year, so he'll be completley free and clear at the end of the season.  we will have a slight oppurtunity to get a compensatory pick for him, but will be unable to trade him.

ancient raptor (12/3/2007)
The ones that would be fairly easy for me are:

Cut - Gandy andLeftwich Let walk - D Williams aand A. Pinner

The others have salary cap and/or dead money implications that have to be considered carefully.

I CAN LIVE WITH THAT ........ BUT YOU FORGOT ABOUT JOEY. HE MAKES THIS LIST TOO!

aka ......... REV2000

Brooking - Either catches the runner from behind or gets trucked. Too slow and old to play the WLB anymore.

McClure - Watch the games he routinely gets run over or misses blocks. He is small.

Gandy - Duh

Demorrio Williams - Our safeties are bigger than he is. He is a prototypical 3rd down linebacker but we're paying him as a starter. Pay cut or get cut. Can't get off blocks.

Just my 2 cents. I'm interested on what other people think.

You can add Weiner and Forney to that list. And...

If Coleman can't shake the injury bug, he may be gone also.

dunn-love the guy and what he has done as our starter, but we need to get bigger.

vick-he's gonna need liquid shower gel and a loufa(bars are slippery little suckers), we're gonna need cap space.

d williams-they tried to replace him with nicholos who i think is a solid back up. we need a MLB.

milloy-has been great for us but j williams needs to see the field.

crocker-avg. we need to upgrade.

gandy-agreed duh.

harrington-if he payed US to stay i still would cut him.

leftwich-need to play him in these last 4 games to decide but looks like a cut thus far.

mcclure may be small but not having him in there would really open some eyes, and earn him a lot more apprecation.

brooking is getting older, but i think being inside hurts him more than anything. he played HS, college, nd pro ball here, he fractured his friggen back and played the very next game. rarely do i thinkthe team owes a player, but in his case, they do.

tony taylor needs to play now, because he needs to be the future, and i would like to see what he can do against 1st team D. i love our Secondary. they have really stepped up. crocker is more of a SS, so if milloy doesnt get resigned i say pick him up. Jwill has shown potential, and i think he could get the start. remember this is his 1st year in a new D, and 1st year playing Safety.

Dmo is ok as a backup, but not worth resigning. Nicholas should replace him. nicholas is like a younger boley.

Dunn- He just doesn't have it anymore. Love him as a person, but doesn't need to be back here next year unless he comes back as a running back coach.

Brooking- Slow, old, and cannot keep up with any linebacker in the league. Thanks for all the contributions Keith but it's time to let you go.

Gandy- Absolutely and positively no reason to keep him. Enough said.

Forney- Doesn't match the system and has regressed terribly. I really doubt he's worth anything in a trade, so let him go.

McClure- There is no way you can honestly say you want to make a commitment to improving the oline and keep him on the team. Too weak for the old system, definitely not strong enough for this one.

Joe Horn- Stupid move to pay him as much as we paid him, and definitely shows his age during games. His time is up.

Joey Harrington- Though it would be good to have someone around that understands Petrino's offense to be the backup, the thought of him playing again for us makes me want to vomit. He is simply not an NFL QB. Joey is a smart guy, will probably be a good accountant or musician somewhere.

Byron Leftwich- Even worse than Joey. Strong arm, no accuracy+no awareness+no mobility=NO CHANCE. Should've released him after the Tampa game.

Michael Jenkins- I think he's going to be a free agent, if so, DO NOT RESIGN HIM. 6'5, runs like he's 5'9 because he's afraid of getting hit.

Adam Jennings- Don't let the return fool you, he sucks. Returners are so important nowadays, and you can't slack on that like you could in the past. Doesn't have the ability you need as a returner.

Lewis Sanders- DB Flambé, The Chronic, Toast, garbage, whichever you want to call him. He's lucky Lawyer Milloy didn't beat him down during the Texans game. There are guys delivering pizza's that can do a better job at corner.

Now I'll admit, these are ALOT of guys, someone from almost every position. However, if you really want to improve this team, continuity is not your friend. For the Falcons, continuity is more missed tackles, dropped passes, missed blocks, because that is all these guys have given you. You have to look at this year as a wash and get rid of the garbage. Time to start over and get these guys out of here.