BCS Championship IS A JOKE!!!!

I hear people and analysts talk about 'strength' of schedule and all that bs, but the reality of this whole thing is a joke.

We've all heard its not who you lose to its 'when' you lose that matters. I wonder how do you go from being the number 1 team in the nation, LOSE to an UNRANKED opponent, only to drop to number 7, then back to number 2?

Personally I don't think you should be able to play for a nation championship IF you don't play a conference championship, because a loss would knock you out of a potential championship spot (WV, Mizzo)

I hear them saying VT is worthy, because they lost to LSU, but you don't be the number 1 team in the nation and give up 50 points to a lesser opponent!!!

VT beat 6 ranked opponents MORE THAN ANYBODY that was eligible for the championship. I could care less about LSU the 3 OT losses a loss is a loss.......PERIOD. If you are the No.1 team in the nation you don't get beat plain and simple. OSU had a cupcake schedule and didn't beat but 2 teams with winning records.

VT should be playing for a national championship they lost to the No.1 and No. 2 ranked teams and came back to avenge their loss to BC by beating them in the ACC championship game by 14......

I hear people and analysts talk about 'strength' of schedule and all that bs, but the reality of this whole thing is a joke.

We've all heard its not who you lose to its 'when' you lose that matters. I wonder how do you go from being the number 1 team in the nation, LOSE to an UNRANKED opponent, only to drop to number 7, then back to number 2?

Personally I don't think you should be able to play for a nation championship IF you don't play a conference championship, because a loss would knock you out of a potential championship spot (WV, Mizzo)

I hear them saying VT isn't worthy, because they lost to LSU, but you don't be the number 1 team in the nation and give up 50 points to a lesser opponent!!!

VT beat 6 ranked opponents MORE THAN ANYBODY that was eligible for the championship. I could care less about LSU the 3 OT losses a loss is a loss.......PERIOD. If you are the No.1 team in the nation you don't get beat plain and simple. OSU had a cupcake schedule and didn't beat but 2 teams with winning records.

VT should be playing for a national championship they lost to the No.1 and No. 2 ranked teams and came back to avenge their loss to BC by beating them in the ACC championship game by 14......

Couldn't edit so I posted that the analysts say VT isn't worthy because they lost to LSU, VT's 1 game of the season and they were playing the No. 1 ranked team at the time

you are absolutely correct. If you have two teams competing for one spot and they are virtually tied in the polls, the winner of the head-to-head matchup shouldnt be a factor

Fixed it for ya

LSU LOST LAST WEEK, drop to No. 7, they win 1 game, now they leap 5 teams for a shot at the championship.....do the math

What else is crazy is that the number 3 ranked team doesnt play and jumps to number 1. The number 4 ranked team doesnt play and falls to 7.

Furthermore- #7 beats #14 and rises to #2. #9 beats #1 and rises to #4? You gotta be kidding me.

The bowl matchups are horrible too.

In a logical world:

National championship:

VT vs. Oklahoma

Rose:

USC vs. UGA

Sugar:

LSU vs. Ohio State

Who cares about the rest...

Those are 3 bad azzzzzzzzzzz football games. Everybody is where they should be and the matchups are compelling.

As it stands- there isnt a single game worth watching in the BCS.

in a season like this one, i think the "plus one" needs to be implemented. it's too late to do it now, but would have made it more interesting. having said that, the plus one system would still have left USC, Hawaii, and UGA out of the mix for the BCSCG......so i guess no one would be happy then either lol.

Dago,(sorry quoting isn't working)

If the poll only comes out one time before Bowl selection then you would have a point, but how do you justify #7(LSU) defeats #14(Tenn) and move to #2 while #6(VT) defeats #11(BC) but only move to #3?:blink:

Where is the logic?  VT ranked ahead of LSU, defeated a higher ranked opponent, and got dropped back behind them?  Yeah, that makes sense.  What's the matter?  All the voters have been under a rock all these time and didn't realize LSU defeated VT earlier in the season so they have VT ranked ahead of LSU last week?  Only now where the National Title is on the line they finally realize it?  What kind of joke of a system is it to have update every week only to get adjusted to "fit" in the final week?  If they are going to do that then have the poll comes out one time after the Championship game and before Bowl selection.  At least then they can justify how they ignored common logic. 

i rationalize it with the same reason that Kansas and Georgia arent in the Nat Championship game

1)everyone thought things were safe because there was no way both Missouri and West Virginia were going to lose

2)the unthinkable happened (see Point #1)

3)for the most part everyone involved threw out the previous week's poll and started doing some heavy duty rationalizing (there truly was no good answer to this mess)

a. Kansas and Georgia had their rankings discarded because nobody wanted a non-conference winner in the game despite the fact there is no rule to the contrary

b. once they decided to throw the previous week's poll out the window, they sat there and thought about which team they thought deserved to play Ohio St.

basically, you can stop crying about the previous week's polls because it is obvious that the people involved forgot it even existed. I am not saying they are right, but you cant accept that they threw out the rankings for Georgia and Kansas and then complain that they did it for VTech. If you do, you are a hypocrite because there is no rule saying that a non-conference champion cant go to the NC game.

So again would you not agree for them to do away with the poll and have it come out 1 time before the Bowl selection if that was what they did?  Why else would they have it out and update week after week only to disregard it for the final week poll?

As for accepting team like VT moving pass Kansas and GA, yes I can accept that by rationalizing that as being 1 and 2 slots behind those respective teams and win against a quality opponent could have propel them over 2 idle teams, but I cannot rationalize the fact that LSU moved pass VT by doing less than what VT did.  That right there defy any logic.

if you think that one quality win was enough to raise VTech above two idle teams in the BCS formula, you are crazy. the only way to explain what occured is pretty much exactly as I outlined it. VTech had to make up more than .0463 points to do that, which is A LOT in the BCS formula.

What if they added in the system that winning your Conference Championship get you X amount of points?  You can still rationalize that they did that to the system and that's how VT jump over Kansas & UGA.  That way they don't have to said non-conference winner don't get to play for the NC, but we going to make it extremely unlikely that you will.  I can see something like that from the system and it would make sense.  Do that and you can still keep some kind of integrity to the system instead of just disregard previous week ranking.

So again would you not agree for them to do away with the poll and have it come out 1 time before the Bowl selection if that was what they did? Why else would they have it out and update week after week only to disregard it for the final week poll?

As for accepting team like VT moving pass Kansas and GA, yes I can accept that by rationalizing that as being 1 and 2 slots behind those respective teams and win against a quality opponent could have propel them over 2 idle teams, but I cannot rationalize the fact that LSU moved pass VT by doing less than what VT did. That right there defy any logic.

Rankings don't mean squat anymore,let's remember that next year.

i rationalize it with the same reason that Kansas and Georgia arent in the Nat Championship game

1)everyone thought things were safe because there was no way both Missouri and West Virginia were going to lose

2)the unthinkable happened (see Point #1)

3)for the most part everyone involved threw out the previous week's poll and started doing some heavy duty rationalizing (there truly was no good answer to this mess)

a. Kansas and Georgia had their rankings discarded because nobody wanted a non-conference winner in the game despite the fact there is no rule to the contrary

b. once they decided to throw the previous week's poll out the window, they sat there and thought about which team they thought deserved to play Ohio St.

basically, you can stop crying about the previous week's polls because it is obvious that the people involved forgot it even existed. I am not saying they are right, but you cant accept that they threw out the rankings for Georgia and Kansas and then complain that they did it for VTech. If you do, you are a hypocrite because there is no rule saying that a non-conference champion cant go to the NC game.

But dago, if you believe that is what happened then it further proves the OPs point that the BCS is a joke.

Compared to the other top 10 teams, LSU is playing real bad right now. They barely beat a bad tennessee team after losing to an unranked arkansas team. This is their third chance in one season going for the number 1 spot. Why do they get so many tries and no one else does?

First of all Kansas and Georgia shouldn't be in b/c they didn't win their conference. Yeah, UGA is playing better then anyone else, but the fact that VT, LSU, and OU won their conference means they should be ranked ahead of them.

Secondly, VT was ranked higher then LSU and beat a higher ranked opponent more convincingly then LSU did. Oklahoma beat the number 1 team in the country.

People say that the arkansas game shouldn't matter for LSU's ranking but then say a game in september for VT should keep them out? it's crazy and there is no reason why they can't do a 12 or 16 teams, 4 week tournament to decide a real champion.

The polling system is a joke, the way the rankings played out was ********, but they got the right two teams in the game. (OU being the only team that can complain) LSU is 11-2, VT is 11-2, LSU beat VT 48-7. There's absolutely nothing to complain about. You're calling the BCS a joke but you're trying to use its flaws to get into the game.

But dago, if you believe that is what happened then it further proves the OPs point that the BCS is a joke.

Compared to the other top 10 teams, LSU is playing real bad right now. They barely beat a bad tennessee team after losing to an unranked arkansas team. This is their third chance in one season going for the number 1 spot. Why do they get so many tries and no one else does?

First of all Kansas and Georgia shouldn't be in b/c they didn't win their conference. Yeah, UGA is playing better then anyone else, but the fact that VT, LSU, and OU won their conference means they should be ranked ahead of them.

Secondly, VT was ranked higher then LSU and beat a higher ranked opponent more convincingly then LSU did. Oklahoma beat the number 1 team in the country.

People say that the arkansas game shouldn't matter for LSU's ranking but then say a game in september for VT should keep them out? it's crazy and there is no reason why they can't do a 12 or 16 teams, 4 week tournament to decide a real champion.

I never said the polls and the BCS system werent a joke....they are. I also never said that they had the right answer. I am saying that there was no right answer. Every possibility could have about an equal amount of evidence for and against it. As a result, these people set up the game that they think more Americans want to see (SEC winner vs. Big 10 winner) out of the realistically available candidates

The BCS may be a joke, BUT don't blame LSU for what happened -- we caught a couple of breaks and the computer put them back at #2. I'm so tired of all the crying and whining. If the same thing happened to UGA (or any team for that matter), then all the whiners would be rejoicing that their team made it. There's NO CRITERIA whatsoever that says whoever is playing the best football in the last 4 weeks of the season should be put at the top 2 spots!

Bottom line is that LSU obliterated the Hokies.

What's questionable to begin with is why the polls would drop LSU behind the Hokies in the first place. No offense to VT, but they were absolutely destroyed in Baton Rouge.

Go dig up that topic that released the individual coaches poll submissions. You don't think a coach will potentially underrate or overrate a team if he thinks it might help his team? Take a gander at Bob Stoops score card. While you're there, take a peek at Frank Beamers rankings.

To anyone who says VT should have got in over LSU, go back to last year when Michigan was crying about how they should have gotten in the NC game, despite being spanked by tOSU. If you didn't agree with Michigan, and I didn't hear many people outside of Ann Arbor who did, then why did you just change your mind now?

Here's a bit of solace for you. If the rankings were JUST off of the computers, it would be #1 VT against #2 LSU. VT fans, you can feel free to blame the human componets for overrating tOSU and screwing you.