Petrino -- go back to college!

The decision to go for a touchdown instead of kicking a field goal with more than 3 1/2 minutes left in the game was one of the most stupid decisions I've seen made by an NFL coach this season.  Petrino has made a lot of bad decisions.  Is he the man for the job?  Is he going to take the Falcons to the next level?

BTW, Joey is not the problem - poor play calling is.

No, it was a bad decision all around.  Bad time management.  There was plenty of time to kick a field goal and get the ball back to kick another field goal.  That 4th and 2 call made it an all or nothing -- either score or lose.

Look, this is a bad team all around.  From the owner on down.  They have made some really bad decisions and continue to.  I just don't think Petrino is the man to build a team.  All new coaches take over teams with players they didn't choose.  But he's done a lousy job with what he has -- and Joey isn't the problem (for the record - I don't think he's the solution either. He's never going to be a top QB in this league). 

BTW, Joey is not the problem - poor play calling is.

And since Joey can't throw the ball I'd say that would effect what Petrino can call.

I'm not gonna lie, I've questioned some of BP's moves but Joey is a BIG reason why our offense is no good so he isn't getting a pass. I'm not sure where all of this joey infatuation has come from but it makes me want to laugh and puke at the same time.

I agree with the field goal thing, but the people on here that complain about play calling do not know what they are talking about.

So far this season, Joey gets about 1 out of every 3 passes right.  Yeah he completes two-thirds of his passes, but half of the passes that he completes he is throwing to the wrong guy.

Joey consistently:

- does not even see wide opens recievers

- throws the short crossing route 5 shorts of the marker on third down, instead of throwing to the reciever across the marker. (the crossing route on those plays are your last line of safety, you only thrown that if everybody else is completely covered up)

- skips the ball to the receiver or throws it over their head

Do you see the look on Petrino's face every time they come off the field on third down?  He looks like he wants to choke Harrington out. 

If we had an actual QB to run this offense (ala Brohm, Matt Ryan, etc.) we would have a few more wins on this season even with this crappy offensive line.

If we went for a field goal everyone would complain about not taking chances when we needed to. Since we missed the 4th down conversion everyone complains we should've kicked a field goal.

If we were successful on 1st down everyone would be happy...

I agree, in that moment I think it was a good decision and now. In the Saints game all people criticized Petrino because he didn't go for the TD.

Lets see yall implement a new offense when 34th of your Oline that wasnt good to begin with is decimated. We are starting 3rd and 4th string linemen, darn near scout team. Do you understand how limited an offense is if you cant block long enough to go deep and that is if your QB makes the right read? We have 2 RB who need space to be effective, they need cut back lanes which are not being created. I dont care if we had tom landry. If you dont have the players to execute then it doesnt matter what is drawn up. You cant just throw a guy out there cause they have a 90 in run blocking and have him be effective. this aint madden. It takes instincts, intelligence, skills, athleticism and reps to be successful in this league. And you'd be killing yourself if you think that our Oline are proficient in the first 3 right now.

• 3 years later...