Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1989Fan

NFL Interactive Mock Draft Game

500 posts in this topic

1989fan (1/30/2008)
We do have a draft format, correct.

It is listed in the rules of the draft. I put it in place to prevent t.eams from all being whacky, and confusion in the draft process!

I know I had asked about schemes before the draft started. Think it was on the old boards because I don't see it when I did a search. The rules said you could choose your scheme as long as it was a legit scheme (you were mainly talking defense at the time, 3-4, 4-3, 46, ect), so I asked if we could do the same offensively (i.e. wishbone, 4 wide, ect) and the answer was the same, whatever we did would be what we wanted for our primary scheme as long as it was a legit offense. The reason I asked was because I wanted to go with a 1 back, 3 WR set as my main offense from the start.

Got no problems if you want me to drop Porter (my 3rd WR) & get a FB though. Just let me know & I'll change up.

Team Name: Cincinnati Bengals

Roster:

OFFENSE

QB - Jay Cutler

RB - Steven Jackson

FB - Le'Ron McClain

WR - Reggie Wayne

WR - Terrel Owens

TE - Jason Witten

LT - Matt Light

LG - Rich Seubert

C - Chris Myers

RG - Kendall Simmons

RT - Ryan Cook

DEFENSE

DE - Mark Anderson

NT - Jamal Williams

DE - Jamaal Anderson

OLB - Landon Johnson

ILB - London Fletcher

ILB - Barret Ruud

OLB - Mathias Kiwanuka

CB - Roderick Hood

CB - Antrel Rolle

FS - Laron Landry

SS - Roman Harper

SPECIAL TEAMS

K - Kris Brown

P Brad Maynard

KR - Steve Breaston

Team Philosophy: Offensive Juggernaut. With TO, Reggie Wayne, Jason Witten and Steven Jackson my team should put up 30+ every game. This team is a score first ask questions later type of team. We pound the ball with Steven Jackson and then extend the field vertically with two of the best receivers in the game. Once teams focus on SJax, TO, and Wayne we can hit them with one of the best TE s in the league, Jason Witten. This team s defensive philosophy will be to stop the run, period. With Jamal Williams, Barret Ruud, and London Fletcher in the middle we have the opportunity to do that. We will live and die by aggressively blitzing offenses and putting pressure on the QB. We will blitz from the secondary as well since we have two very aggressive safeties in Landry and Harper.

Draft Strategy: With a lot of the top defensive selections being taken I decided to go heavy on offense. I chose Jay Cutler to be the QB because he is young and has the tools to be a great QB. With targets like TO, Wayne, and Witten it will make Jay s job very easy. Not to mention he gets to hand the ball off to Steven Jackson. I went with Matt Light as my first O-Line selection. He is a leader and one of the best O-Linemen in the NFL today. He will help mold the O-Line and will stop all speed rushers in his path. Once I had my offensive weapons set in place I started from the inside out with defense. Jamal Williams was the biggest steal in the draft for me. He is an anchor for any 3-4 defense. I then went with Barret Ruud and London Fletcher as my ILB s. These 3 will be the heart and soul of my defense.

Summary: Overall, I feel very good about my team. I honestly think my offense is exceptional. My defense has the players to hold teams under 28 points and I believe that is all we will need to do to get a win with the offense being as powerful as it is. Honestly, who would not want my offense? :P

For the record, I thought the same thing as Robb. I went with twins instead of a fullback for this reason. Conventional fullback offenses are out of vogue at the moment.

Tennessee Titans

Roster:

Marc Bulger - QB

Laurence Maroney - RB

Ben Watson - Te

Tony Scheffler - TE

Jeremy Trueblood - RT

Eric Steinbach - RG

Olin Kreutz - OC

Steve Hutchinson - LG

Jammal Brown - LT

Anquan Boldin - WR

T.J. Houshmandzadeh - WR

Defense:

Osi Umenyiora - DE

Tommie Harris - DT

Darnell Dockett - DT

Justin Tuck - DE

Angelo Crowell - SLB

Lofa Tatupu - MLB

Chad Greenway - WLB

Tye Hill - CB

Lawyer Milloy - SS

Michael Huff - FS

Chris Houston - CB

Special Teams:

Darren Sproles - KR

Dustin Colquitt - P

Mike Nugent - PK

Team Philosophy - Offense:

We know each other pretty well on this board since we have talking football together for a years now. Many of us have expressed frustration bordering on outrage over the way the Falcons have handled the offensive line over the years. I think this exercise demonstrates for many of us that we are not all talk on the subject. Several people made sure to use multiple upper half picks on their lines. I probably took this idea to its logical extreme.

Everyone would agree Hutchinson is the best guard in football. Jammal Brown is one of only two first round LTs in the 2000s to get a Pro Bowl nod. Sporting News went so far as to name Eric Steinbach the team MVP of the Browns for 2007. Jeremy Trueblood was the choice of Peter King and PFW (I think) as first team RT for 2007. And Olin Kreutz is the most decorated center of our generation this side of Kevin Mawae. This offensive line is devastating. We would be able to give our QB all the time in the world in the pocket to a degree that even Tom Brady would envy and when it come to running the ball, defenses would fear us.

With regards to strategy, I intentionally targeted Marc Bulger all along. I had a feeling that people would forget about him a little bit since the Rams fell apart this year. He's only 30, but he's already a two-time Pro Bowler. Guys like that are rare. What I wanted to make sure to give him were weapons, guys that everyone would agree would lead to a scary offense. The wideouts, Housh and Q, are among the most prolific receivers of this generation. Housh led the league in receptions this year with 112 (along with Wes Welker). More importantly, he does not drop balls. Get the ball in the air to him and good things happen. Q is...well, anyone who has read my posts over the years knows I consider him to be as good as it gets at WR. He's the fastest player ever to 400 receptions, and anyone who saw the Falcons/Cardinals game knows just how dominant this man can be. In real life, Bulger has had tremendous anchor receivers throughout his career with Bruce and Holt. In this simulation, he would -- if anything -- have more talented players in Housh and Q...and I say that as a huge fan of Bruce and Holt.

I also have said many times that I believe the best base offense is twins. New England has proven this over the past several years with Daniel Graham and Ben Watson, first round TEs who can block as well as create matchup nightmares down the seam or split wide. Watson is the most physically gifted TE in football, which is why I had targeted him all along for one of the two spots. I wanted K2 for the other one, but with him and one other TE I liked off the board, Tony Scheffler became the clear choice. He was 10th among TEs in receptions this year, not that anyone noticed. Watson would stay in to block more often, reserving him for bigger plays, while Scheffler would be the primary receiving threat. If I did run them out into patterns, the idea of a defense trying to defend these four guys at once is comical. ****, Watson and Q alone would be enough to make defensive coordinators cry.

My last pick was my toughest choice. With several good RBs undrafted, I had trouble locking in on which one to take. Marion Barber had been my plan all along, but another savvy GM scooped him up a couple of rounds earlier than I had expected him to go. Had that happened with Marc Bulger, I would have been screwed. With Barber, it was unfortunate, but I still had other options, particularly because most of you already had your backs. In the end, the choice came down to Larry Johnson versus Laurence Maroney. I believe Johnson to be one of the top 3 backs in the league, but he has so much mileage at this point that Maroney struck me as the clear choice for franchise building purposes. He's also a homerun threat, which is huge with an offensive line that is likely to get him to the second level in space.

Offensively, I believe this team would be impossible to defend. No one could count on pressuring the quarterback, the RB is scary in the open field, and there is a great combination of receiving options. One of the WRs and one of the TEs are physically perfect prototypes while the other WR and TE are both great possession receivers. This group would be multiple and the playcalling could go for the jugular from anywhere on the field.

Team Philosophy - Defense:

This has already been discussed in the main thread, but I will reiterate it here. The philosophy here is one that make Bill Parcells proud. The thought process is that talent on defense wins. Playcalling only goes so far. After that, it comes down to who is better. The key to this philosophy is the ability to get to the quarterback. As a reminder, no one's front four could do that as well as my group. Dockett and Harris are the top two DTs in football this season at sacking the QB. Meanwhile, Umenyiora and Tuck combined for 23 sacks on the outside. And anyone who has watched the Giants in the playoffs has come to appreciate what a special player Tuck is. He leads all postseason players in QB hurries. So, with these four guys, we can get to the QB from anywhere on the front, blowing up plays before they have a chance to start. No one in this exercise has guys who can rush the QB like this group and that point isn't in question.

With any quick twitch, up the field defense, the next priority is simple. The linebackers have to be able to stop the run and chase well on screens, draws and the like as these are the strategies employed to account for disruptive pass rushers. The one player I had targeted all along, Patrick Willis, went much earlier than I had expected. I had a shortlist of seven players I wanted at linebacker, however, and I wound up with three of them. It was important to me to take players at their actual positions, and I did so. As I pointed out, I wound up getting one of the prolific tacklers at both the sam and the will while still acquiring the first team all-pro at the mike. With this combination of linebackers and linemen, I stated earlier that I felt we had the best front seven as well as the best offensive line in this draft. I firmly believe that though I say again that the nature of this exercise is for people to wind up with players they like. I was surprised by how many times I was able to accomplish this for my team.

With this sort of disruptive front seven, the secondary's job is two-fold. The safeties have to be able to come up against the run. This makes the tandem of Lawyer Milloy and Michael Huff perfectly suited. Milloy is long in the tooth for my needs, but I just couldn't pass on a player that good being available that late in the draft. Huff is a guy that everyone on this board universally agreed was the prototype safety prospect for the new age of football, but he's been playing out of position at SS the past two years. Oakland has acknowledged this by saying they will put him in position to be a playmaker at FS moving forward. Milloy and him in the back would be scary for any opposition.

With regards to the corners, the choice was obvious for this style of defense. We need liquid quick guys who can come up to the line and handle press coverage long enough for the linemen to make the QB bleed. I wanted DeAngelo Hall, but he went a few picks ahead of me that round. So, I wound up with much younger players who are easily the most unproven guys on this roster. Everyone has a couple of those, but I feel comfortable that I got players who have already shown flashes of greatness in this league. Both of them are strong and quick, capable of closing fast and finishing plays, which is all this defense needs to ask of its secondary.

Special Teams:

Darren Sproles is my kick returner. He has performed this role for the Chargers since he entered the league. I have always been impressive by how shifty and powerful a runner he is. His lack of height prevents him from being an every down back in the NFL, but it also makes him a terrifying breakaway threat in the return game, as was demonstrated in the recent playoffs.

My punter is Dustin Colquitt. As a UT fan, I consider it a moral imperative to have a Colquitt as my kicker. Among full-time kickers, Colquitt was fifth in the league in net average this season despite being one of the youngest kickers at 25. He would be a long term solution at the punter position...like say through 2023. Similarly, The Nuge was the highest drafted placekicker since Sebastian Janikowski. While Jets fans might have hated that pick in a legendary fashion, the reality is that he too is a long term solution at the position.

Draft strategy: In addition to the comments above, there was one other key to my draft strategy. Youth rules the day. Whenever I saw two players as similarly talented, the tie went to the younger player. It's important in this day and age to not only draft good players but lock up the ones who can be starters for many years to come. I accomplished this to a degree that frankly surprised me. Here are the ages of my players:

RB: 22

QB: 30

OL: 24, 26, 30, 30, 27

WRs: 30, 27

TEs: 24, 27

Absolutely none of my offensive players should show any signs of slippage for the next five years, barring injury.

DL: 24, 26, 26, 24

LBs: 26, 24, 25

CBs: 23, 25

Safeties: 24, 34

Folks, look at those numbers for a second and spin that over in your head. The "old" players on the front seven are 26. This unit would not only be dominant in the short term. The nucleus would wreak havoc for the body of a decade. The only player out of the group who would need to be replaced at any point in the short term is Lawyer Milloy. Had there been a draft (I think we threw that idea out, right?), I would have taken care of his replacement, probably with Eric Weddle. That would have been the only spot out of my entire 25 player roster where age was even a consideration.

Summary:

As you can see from the discussions about my offense and defense, I had a plan all along, one that is cohesive with the philosophies I have always espoused about what I like in an NFL team. The twelve most important positions on the field are the front seven on defense and the offensive line. With regards to playmakers, it's important to have corners who can press and receivers/TEs whose natural abilities force mismatches. The key on defense is to disrupt while the key on offense is to protect. My defensive line does the former while my offensive line and twin TEs do the latter. This team accomplishes all of these goals and then some. The fact that the core of the team still has half a decade (or more) of dominance ahead means that this would be a dynasty.

We should line up all of these rosters on Madden 08 and see who EA believes would win the day. Just bring it.

For those of us that would like to particpate in voting, how will it be set up? I saw your post from the other day 89, about the different categories to vote on. You might want to create a new thread, and copy and paste all of the summaries into it. I say this because a lot of people browse right over this thread. Just my suggestion. I love looking at the different teams. ;)

Pittsburgh Steelers:

QB - Eli Manning (25)

RB - Reggie Bush (9)

FB - Heath Evans (22)

TE - Alge Crumpler (18)

LT - Flozell Adams (6)

LG - Vince Manuwai (12)

C - Nick Hardwick (7)

RG - Arron Sears (17)

RT - Joe Staley (13)

WR - Terrell Owens (1)

WR - Dwayne Bowe (16)

DE - Jason Taylor (3)

UT - Amobi Okoye (8)

NT - Barry Cofield (14)

DE - Patrick Kerney (5)

WLB - Cato June (20)

MLB - Jonathan Vilma (10)

SLB - Greg Ellis (15)

CB - Antonio Cromartie (4)

FS - Troy Polamalu (2)

SS - Reggie Nelson (11)

CB - Antoine Winfield (19)

K - Stephen Gostkowski (23)

P - Andy Lee (21)

KR/PR - TJ Rushing (24)

Offensive Philosophy - Score more points than the other team

Defensive Philosophy - Don't let the other team score more points than you

Draft Strategy - Pick the best player

Summary - My team rocks.

scott24falcs (1/30/2008)
For those of us that would like to particpate in voting, how will it be set up? I saw your post from the other day 89, about the different categories to vote on. You might want to create a new thread, and copy and paste all of the summaries into it. I say this because a lot of people browse right over this thread. Just my suggestion. I love looking at the different teams. ;)

I mentioned earlier in this thread that is exactly what I will be doing. The voting will have its own thread. :)

1989fan (1/31/2008)
scott24falcs (1/30/2008)

I mentioned earlier in this thread that is exactly what I will be doing. The voting will have its own thread. :)

My fault, I misread your post. ;)

1989fan (1/31/2008)
Robb and Jidady, just roll with the teams you have. not gonna worry about it. Lets just wrap this bad boy up.

Cool. Thanks for setting this up. It was a ton of fun.

Team Buffalo Bills

QB - David Garrard (11)

RB - Brandon Jacobs (13)

FB - Ovie Mugahelli (18)

TE - Heath Miller (15)

WR - Chris Chambers (21)

WR - Vincent Jackson (22)

OT - Jordan Gross (6)

OG - Leonard Davis (9)

C - Chris Spencer (16)

OG - Chris Snee (7)

OT - Nick Kaczur (8)

DE - Aaron Kampman (1)

DT - Shaun Rogers (3)

DT - Vince Wilfork (4)

DE - Trent Cole (5)

OLB - Thomas Davis (17)

MLB - Patrick Willis (2)

OLB - Derrick Johnson (10)

CB - Leon Hall (12)

FS - James Sanders (19)

SS - Jordan Babineaux (20)

CB - Darrelle Revis (14)

P - Kris Kluwe (23)

k - Rian Lindell (24)

KR - Dante Hall (25)

Offensive Strategy - Ball control Power Running Game

Defensive Strategy - Big Upfront with speed at the linebackers to attack

Draft Strategy- Build great lines, this game is won in the trenches. I focused on the defense first since I believe that defense wins championships. For my defense I draft big guys to control the line of scrimage but also guys who were adept at rushing the passer and getting into the back field. Behind them I put a tackling maching and two of the most athletic linebackers in the game, to shut down RB's, TE, and Screens. The secondary, was built around guys who were physical and also could make the big play.

For my offense, i went with a power running game. If you have the ball it's hard for the other team to win. My offensive line is huge but all solid pass blockers (I know most you don't know who NIck Kazcur is but look at the pats line when he was out not nearlly as good). IN the backfield I have a huge power RB with quick feet and in front of him a ferocious lead blocker. TE the same a legitmate pass catcher with teh ablity to stay home and block. AT wide reciever I have A red zone threat and the best blocking WR in the game in (jackson), and Chambers a legitmate threat that defenses must keep there eye on.

Also I forgot to add i drafted for Age, no player on my team is over 29 (offense and defense) and the avereage age of my offense is 26.6 years and my defense 24.6 years.

Miami Dolphins

QB - Peyton Manning (1)

RB - Brian Westbrook (6)

FB - Mike Karney (20)

TE - Dallas Clark (12)

WR - Deion Branch (10)

WR - Kevin Curtis (18)

LT - D'Brickashaw Ferguson (2)

LG - Alan Faneca (3)

C - Jeff Faine (15)

RG - Kyle Kosier (24)

RT - Jon Stinchcomb (23)

LE - Robert Mathis (8)

NT - John Henderson (5)

RE - Adewale Ogunleye (9)

LOLB - James Harrison (13)

LILB - Ray Lewis (19)

RILB - Shaun Phillips (17)

ROLB - Adalius Thomas (4)

LCB - Nate Clements (7)

RCB - Mike McKenzie (16)

SS - Atari Bigby (14)

FS - Gibril Wilson (11)

K - Josh Brown (21)

P - Chris Hanson (25)

KR/PR - Yamon Figurs (22)

Offensive Strategy - Started off with arguably the best QB in the game, Peyton Manning. Surrounding Manning with a young corp of receivers and dual-threat runningback Brian Westbrook. The line is a mix of veterans and up and coming players.

Defensive Strategy - Meant to select bigger DE's for my 34 defense, but I forgot about that when selecting my DE's. I could run a 43 by moving Ogunleye to UT and Adalius to DE, but i'd rather stick with a 34. Would probably get run on, but my linebackers and secondary could make up the difference hopefully.

Draft Strategy - I tried to split the picks and select BPA, whether it's on the offensive or defensive side of the ball.

Vicious (2/1/2008)
Forgive me for asking, but what is the point of this? I haven't a clue as to what you all are doing:hehe:
Really it's just something to do in the offseason.

Vicious (2/1/2008)
Just trying to see who can build the best team?

For the most part yes. Think of it like fantasy football, except we draft with a different format. See my sig for the positions we needed to fill.

BillyWitchDoctor (2/1/2008)
Vicious (2/1/2008)
Just trying to see who can build the best team?

For the most part yes. Think of it like fantasy football, except we draft with a different format. See my sig for the positions we needed to fill.

Your hybrid is good although not quite as good as 89's

bam_19 (2/1/2008)

Your hybrid is good although not quite as good as 89's

thanks Bam.

today I will be going over to see if anyone still needs to submit picks, and who still needs to drop a summary to me.

Once (if) I get all the info I need I will then create the voting thread! :)

Darqness (2/9/2008)
Ummm...I asked to be in this, but I dont know how this draft works.

:(

This is a different one than the one we signed up for today. The one that you signed up for today will not start for a few more weeks.

BillyWitchDoctor (2/9/2008)
So what's going on this with?

I havent gotten all the info I needed. I have slipped in getting ahold of who all I need info from, but thanks for the reminder. Monday morning I should get to get everything together. If I dont get the reviews back I will make the thread still, just some teams wont have summaries. I will still be able to show their rosters though.