Given his chance, Redman responds per AJC

nativefalcon

Given his chance, Redman responds

Reserve QB not ready to declare himself starter

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 12/03/07

St. Louis Chris Redman, with just one play from scrimmage all season, came off the bench to rally the Falcons to the verge of a come-from-behind victory over St. Louis on Sunday.

Starting quarterback Joey Harrington was yanked from the game. It was the third time this season the Falcons have pulled the starting quarterback.

image_6230330.jpg
CURTIS COMPTON / AJC
Chris Redman celebrates with wide receiver Roddy White after a 15-yard touchdown connection early in the fourth quarter.

image_6230400.jpg
CURTIS COMPTON / AJC
Chris Redman entered the game with the Falcons trailing 21-3 entering the fourth quarter.

BY THE NUMBERS
" How They Scored " Team Stats " NFC Standings

RELATED STORIES

" More Falcons

"I felt like Joey was being ineffective," Falcons coach Bobby Petrino said after the 28-16 loss at the Edward Jones Dome.

Redman entered the game with the Falcons trailing 21-3 entering the fourth quarter.

He directed the Falcons on consecutive touchdown drives to make it 21-16 and had two chances to drive for the go-ahead score, but was stopped inside the 10-yard line with 2:14 to play.

After the defense forced the Rams to punt, Redman tried to connect with Michael Jenkins on a deep route, but he was intercepted by Rams safety Oshiomogho Atogwe with 1:31 left.

The Rams added a late Steven Jackson touchdown on a 50-yard run for the final margin.

Redman breathed some life into what had been a listless offense.

"He was very active," Petrino said. "He was hitting hands. He was taking what the defense gave him.

"When they were rolling the coverage one way, he knew where to go and put the ball on the guys' hands."

Redman, who completed 16 of 24 passes for 172 yards and two touchdowns, was not ready to declare himself the starter after the game.

"I just want to go out and contribute and do whatever I can," Redman said. "I'll do whatever they'll ask me to. We've got good quarterbacks here. ... I'm just going to do whatever they tell me to do. I'm going to show up for work and do the best that I can do."

Harrington was pulled against Tennessee on Oct. 7 in favor of Byron Leftwich. Against Tampa Bay on Nov. 18, Leftwich was pulled for Harrington.

This time Petrino and offensive coordinator Hue Jackson went with Redman. Leftwich, who suffered a tailbone injury against Tampa Bay, was the No. 3 quarterback against the Rams.

Redman was set to enter the game in the third quarter, but Harrington got a brief reprieve.

After Harrington's deep pass intended for Roddy White was intercepted by Fakhir Brown with 1:30 left in the third quarter, Redman was summoned.

"As a backup, you just have to be ready to go," Redman said.

Redman wished that he could have gotten that go-ahead touchdown.

"It felt good to get the scores, but the one that mattered was the last one and the one I wanted most of all," Redman said. "I don't want to beat myself up on it, but we were trying to win the game. We had an opportunity to do it and we felt short."

Harrington had difficulty dealing with his latest yanking.

"I guess I'm used to it by now," Harrington said, before pausing for several seconds. "It's a tough position to play from. I'll be honest, it's a tough position to play from, not knowing what's going to get you taken out of the game. My job is to play for this team and I'm going to continue to do that.

"I'm extremely happy for Chris, who got a chance to go in there and show everybody that he's a heck of a player."

;)

http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/...lside_1203.html