'Devastated' Harrington gets benched Falcon record fourth time this season

ATL-75

Sad thing is I think people here will think Redman is some sort of hero and when he does bad next week will be all upset too.  I think Redman is a good team player and I was happy he did well but the reality of the situation is that it was garbage time and it was similar to when Joey did well against the bucs a few games ago.  I think its bad for the guys that Petrino seems to bench qb's so quickly, I mean remember when Romo had all those picks that one game, he wasn't benched.  Petrino seemed really irritated during his PC today too.  It was nice to see that comeback today though!

You are right that Romo's record was better but it just seems that Petrino pulls qb's really fast and doesn't do it to other positions.  Dunn hasn't been real good this year but he keeps starting.  I think Petrino takes the qb position for granted and just assumes everyone should post real good numbers instead of actually thinking what it takes to allow qb's to put up solid numbers i.e OLine play, a good running game etc.

Sad thing is I think people here will think Redman is some sort of hero and when he does bad next week will be all upset too.  I think Redman is a good team player and I was happy he did well but the reality of the situation is that it was garbage time and it was similar to when Joey did well against the bucs a few games ago.  I think its bad for the guys that Petrino seems to bench qb's so quickly, I mean remember when Romo had all those picks that one game, he wasn't benched.  Petrino seemed really irritated during his PC today too.  It was nice to see that comeback today though!

Slight difference being the Buccs were up 31-0. Joey was stilling hitting 2-3 yards dump offs. Redman actually had 2 scores and pulled the team to within 5 points. His 2 TDs equalled Joeys best TD performance of the year. Will Redman win the Superbowl - no. Does he give us a better chance to win - I dont know, but I'll bet he gets more reps with the first team this week.

i just watched PETRINO's PC and he has had it with JOEY!!! there is NOTHIN' that JOEY can do to change how this coach views his skills. as much as it woulda been a feel good story for JOEY to find success in ATL, he is who he has ALWAYS shown himself to be as an NFL QB!! personally, i'm tired of JOEY bein' given chance after chance. his skills are a LIABILITY to this team havin' ANY CHANCE of a W!!! JOEY just needs to shut up and grab a clipboard for the remainin' games in this season. and get ready for his next team. PETRINO will NOT have him back. he just does not believe in the guy...PERIOD!!!!!:satisfied:

I think you're basically right although I hope we're both wrong.  Having agreed with you though, I don't see that Petrino (and we) have a better option than to try Redman again.

i was thinkin' the same thing, who do i think i am???:D i think this was the closest PETRINO has come in an interview to just sayin EXACTLY how he feels about what JOEY brings. you could see it right there, waitin' for him to just start goin' off!!!! he dropped that 'needed a spark s$$t' and said ' he was ineffective'!! i think with all that has gone on this season from VICK on down the list, i personally would just like to see PETRINO go no holds barred!!!!:w00t: i think we'd have some DENNIS GREEN type footage for life!!!!:D

I agree with you that we don't really have a better option than Redman and with how he played today he deserves another chance to play.  But what if he does poorly, we have no consistency at the position that needs the most consistency.  Although the Saints are up next and they have a poor D so we should be able to put pts up on the board.  I'm just pointing out coaching flaws from Petrino which if he continues them will hinder his career as a coach.  I mean what if we bring in say Derek Anderson next year by chance.  What if he struggles for a game or two, does that mean he'd be benched.  To me you just can't bench guys on a whim over and over all season long.  I think at this point its a mutual split between Joey and Petrino, but what "Petrino the Great" doesn't realize is that if he doesn't correct the real problems on the team then the next qb will fail as well.  I personally think that college success has gotten to Petrino's head and he has a giant ego and believes any qb should do well or its somehow the qb's fault if success isn't attained.  If Redman does play poorly this coming week, then how much will it take for Petrino to realize its not his qb's that are to blame but that it basically all comes down to the poor play of the OLine.  And why does he consistently blame the qb's when the team doesn't move the ball.  I heard no mention of Warwicks less than a yard per carry in that PC. 

I agree with you Sanfran, I thought Petrino was going to lose it there.  He seemed super angry and that he wanted to snap like Mora Sr.  I bet he and Joey had a huge argument in the locker room prior to the PC.  I think this is the last we see of Joey this season, after that PC I just can't see him playing anymore and he'll probably be cut at the end of the season and resurface in Chicago, Baltimore, Phi, etc as a backup.

I'm not saying Joey has been outstanding or anything.  I'm basically referring to how Petrino views the qb's on his teams in relation to other positions.  He seems to assume qb's should put up good numbers and not take into account other factors involved.  He seems to lose confidence in a qb after a couple bad games and that can be a problem.  Guys struggle from time to time, but most don't get benched as much as he benches his guys.  He will bench a qb from 3 quarters of play over and over, but if Warwick doesn't get the job done or a receiver doesn't get the job done he keeps trotting them out there drive after drive.  He seems to have a double standard going on.  Maybe thats why the Boston College qb doesn't want to come here.  Theres alot of trouble brewing here for any potential qb...bad OLine, no running game, receivers who drop balls, the Vick Saga, and a coach who will lose confidence in you after 2 games.

bridson, i hear ya. JOEY biggest problem is that he is a legend in his own mind!! the fact that PETRINO would give BYRON the ball after only weeks of bein' with the team oughta tell folks what PETRINO REALLY thinks about him. instead, we have certain fans that ACTUALLY think JOEY is an NFL QB!!:blink: and chantin' for him!!:pinch: i didn't get to see the game but it's obvious that the team responds better when JOEY is just NOT in the game!!!! i say give REDMAN his shot with the first team this week!!!! 

all good points bridson. but WARWICK DOES have a great history of producin'!!! so i can understand some of the slack he might give a player like DUNN. but JOEY HAS NEVER produced a winnin' ANYTHIN' in the league!! and he OBVIOUSLY CANNOT rally nor lead his teammates. as much as PETRINO as his faults, i REALLY get his frustration and his desire, for any reason, to go with anybody besides JOEY. JOEY BRINGS NOTHIN' that can really help this offense!! he has left more points on the field that i can even begin to count!! that's got to be maddenin' when you have a QB that cannot handle anythin' more than a 3 step drop and throwin' underneath!!! i really think PETRINO will sit JOEY the remainder of the season unless everybody else is hurt.