Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GREG_7

PS3 actually outsells Wii???

22 posts in this topic

Believe I saw an article that the ps3 actually sold more than the Wii!? Woah, thats surprising.  I guess the price cut and 40 gb model is helping.

I wouldn't say it needs a pricedrop. they are flying off the shelves at their current price. Personally, i have never even seen a Wii in a store, anywhere.

they are flying like hot cakes, and did you see the wrestling? so interactive. also when they get time crisis 4, and super smash bros, then they wont be instock for weeks, unless you know a guy who knows  a guy who knows a guy that is cuzins with pookie. he will get you the hook up.

The Wii definitely doesn't need a price drop.  It's basically impossible to find one.  I had to buy mine off E-bay and paid 75$ over retail by the time shipping was included.

It was worth it though.

Posted by James Brightman on Monday, December 03, 2007

In his latest Video Game Monthly report, Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter provided his December console hardware sales forecast and an overall assessment of the industry going forward.

While Nintendo's Wii racked up 350,000 unit sales during Thanksgiving week in the U.S., Microsoft's Xbox 360 wasn't very far behind with 310,000 units sold during the same period. Pachter estimates that the PS3, which has seen its sales rise considerably since the $399 model was introduced, sold around 150,000 to 200,000 units during turkey week.

Based on these figures, Pachter believes it will be a fairly tight battle between the Wii and 360 during December, with the Wii having a slight edge. "These figures imply that Microsoft will sell 1.5 million Xbox 360s in December in the U.S., that Nintendo will sell 1.7 million Wiis, and that Sony will sell around 800,000 PS3s. This is about double the number of consoles sold last December, and suggests that the holiday will be a good one for the U.S. publishers," he said.

Pachter also continues to be surprised by the ongoing success of the aging PS2. "We continue to believe that better than expected PS2 software sales this year (down only 24% year-to-date compared to our forecast of down 32%) will drive overall growth well into next year," he said, adding, "and we expect next generation console software sales growth to highly correlate to any increase in the rate of PS2 software sales decline."

He continued, "We have heard speculation about a redesigned PS2 priced at $99 (from the current $129), with a likely U.S. launch in early 2008 (we note that this new PS2 has already been released in Japan with no price cut). We believe that the lower-priced PS2 will sell at least as well in 2008 as it has in 2007, with sales running at the 4 million unit level next year."

Interestingly, concerning the Wii, although some have predicted that supply and demand wouldn't level out until nearly the end of 2008, Pachter believes it will be in balance by about April, with sales of "around 6 6.5 million units per year in 2007 and 2008."

Overall, 2007 is sizing up to be an incredible year for the U.S. game industry with software sales tracking ahead 26 percent. Pachter estimates that software sales will finish up 19 percent (including PC, which he thinks will decline three percent).

2008 should be strong as well, he noted. "We expect industry sales to be strong for the first several months of 2008, with the strong release schedule early in the year sustaining double-digit sales growth. We are already well into this holiday selling season and all signs are that video games are top sellers. Should we be right, we think that video game investors' concerns about the economy will subside, and expect the U.S. publisher stocks to continue to appreciate. It may take until after the holidays when concerns about the 'stalled' cycle are fully alleviated, and we expect volatility for video game stocks through the remainder of the year, although we retain an upward bias," he concluded.

Anyone want a Wii i'm selling mine for 400 bucks, two wii motes, two nunchucks, 4 games, it is used however not very much i bought it at launch and well i never ever play it unless i have people over which is like never i'm always out.

Unkn0wn (12/5/2007)
Everywhere i go has signs on the door saying "We do not have Wii's" but ive seen Ps3's in these places

You can get all three consoles here in New Hampshire.

Same Ol Falcons (12/4/2007)
cwell1 (12/4/2007)
funny, I see a bunch of Wii's everywhere I go.weird

Where do you live because I can't get my hands on one in Shreveport

College Park GA,I see them here and different cities close to here.and I saw alot when I went to Hilton Head,SC during thanksgiving.

Shoot I can never find it in stores. Only chance Ive got probably is Sunday. That seems like the only time they release them around. Lots of stores hold them. Really pissing me off cuz I want a Wii!!!!

cwell1 (12/8/2007)

College Park GA,I see them here and different cities close to here.and I saw alot when I went to Hilton Head,SC during thanksgiving.

I was in GameStop yesterday and this tweeker came in trying to sell one they were gonna give him $75 so I bought it from him for $100:w00t: