This time next year, DeAngelo Hall will be a&

TheDirtyWordII

***This was posted yesterday, but seemed to get lost in the transition.  I may look to refer to it in future posts which is why I'm reposting.***

Dallas Cowboy

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Here is the rationale behind my thinking:

1)    First off, for those thinking he ll be a Falcon - I can under no scenario believe that the Falcons would pay him $100M contract in February/March 2009 (or sooner).  Someone will (or would) though.  Realize that the Falcons are a bottom feeder team now who has no business in signing any player(s) to a contract that size.  The fact of the matter is that they are going to have to pay out the wazoo in order to sign what is sure to be a very high first round pick this off-season.  Considering that Hall has 1) been insubordinate and 2) not proven himself to be the best CB in the NFL and there is no viable justification to keeping him (the we can t let him go cries simply are not considering economics or team dynamics).  He is certainly upper tier, but $100M contracts are given to those who define their position.  Hall does not.

2) Why the Cowboys?  Perhaps some of this is projection but if there is one team the Cowboys don t know if they can beat, it s the Patriots.  There defense on average lets up 21 PPG and against the Pats, they were sliced up badly (48 points, 388 yards passing, 5 TD s).  Fact is, the weak spot on this <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Dallas team is their pass defense.  While 20th in the NFL in yards/game, that is a bit misleading.  Their YPA is 6th.  But you can score on them.  Their defense is a pressure defense that thrives on getting to the QB, but can be exposed.  The Cowboys will play a lot of zone, but a QB like Brady or Manning can pick zones apart and since the Cowboys are looking to play in the upper tier, eventually they have to consider that in order to win a SB, they are going to have to play be able to play zone & man equally well.  On one side, the Cowboys have Terrence Newman.  But on the other exists Anthony Henry (who ll be 32 next year) and Jacques Reeves (who I believe is a FA after this season).  Their safeties are Roy Williams (notoriously poor in pass coverage) and Ken Hamlin (solid).  At the end of the day though, this is where the elite teams can hurt the Cowboys and the solution at this point is not really scheme-related.  It s personnel related.  While Henry has moved to nickelback to accommodate the rising play of Reeves, this is still the weak area of the Cowboys.  Of note is that Wes Welker and Donte Stallworth in the Patriots game combined for 18 receptions, 260 yards, 3 TD s.  Moss was not the big producer.  Consider that Peyton Manning is also amongst the best at utilizing his secondary options in the passing game and you realize that this is the exposure point for the Cowboys.  Cris Collinsworth said it best as well last night The best passing teams and the best QB s are able to identify quickly where the single coverage is and attack it   What DeAngelo Hall allows the Cowboys to do is have both him and Newman in single coverage and feel pretty good about it.  IMO, Dallas is going to come thisclose to winning the SuperBowl& they ll either be in it, or lose in the NFC Conference Championship.  Teams like this look for that one final piece to make their run the next season.

3) For what?  Now that we ve defined the need the Cowboys would have for Hall, what would be demand in return.  As of this point, the Cowboys have the #24 (Cleveland) & #31 picks in Round 1.  At this point, those picks do not look to be improving.  If anything, I think Cleveland s pick would get worse (their remaining SOS is 19-36).  For arguments sake, let s keep their slots as of today because whatever happens with Cleveland, there is not much of a delta.  Via the trade draft value chart, those two (2) picks are equal to the #9 or #10 overall pick in the draft.  While I ve always thought that the Falcons would settle for a mid-first rounder, this does seem on the high end in terms of the compensation the Falcons could receive.  And getting a team to give up two (2) 1st rounders in a deal is extremely rare.  But if we included our 3rd rounder, then that evens the deal up enough for Dallas to pull the trigger.  For Dallas, while they have had a decent degree of success drafting in the latter stages of the first round, we re talking contributor type (Anthony Spencer, Marcus Spears, Bobby Carpenter).  Hall is admittedly a top tier CB, and one who is 24 with plenty of tread left on his tires.  He probably has not played his best football yet.

4) Why does Hall do it?  While Hall has expressed a desire to hit the open market, it s quite simple:  Get your guaranteed deal now at a little bit of a discount but have the opportunity to play on a championship caliber team season.  Would the Cowboys have tried to sing you after 2008?  Maybe, maybe not and he certainly wouldn t be hurting for suitors.  But playing for Dallas follows in the footsteps of Deion, his aspiration and IMO, he ll jump at the chance to play in Bid D, especially considering they ll be opening up that mammoth new venue of theirs, a showpiece of sorts.  Bottomline this deal fits his ego.

5) The Deal

a.   Atlanta trades DeAngelo Hall & their 2008 3rd Round Selection (approximately #67-#70).

b.   Dallas trades their two (2) 1st Round Selections (at this point #24 & #31).

Such a deal still leaves Dallas with 3 Day 1 (under the old format) selections.

Like I had said earlier, I think this deal thinks a little outside the box and makes sense for both parties given the justifications explained above and each teams respective situation.  What about you?  Discussion welcome.

You underestimate the value of Hall.  The only CB prospect that comes close to him is Malcolm Jenkins.  Add Hall's experience and you have to believe that Hall is worth considerably more.  Jenkins is a top ten draft choice, so they will have to pony up the two draft picks to move up to draft Jenkins or to trade for Hall. 

Adding a third round pick to the deal is not needed. 

i realy dont think that the falcons front office wont pay the money that hall is going to ask 4. i think hes going to want more money than what the 49ers gave there new cb (clemmons?) thats way too much money to pay him for all the problems he has given us. but if he would change his attitude and takes some lessons from champ baily i would love to keep him. 

i think we can get there 2 1st round picks....without giving a 3rd round pick for d-hall...right now at 7-4 Cleveland has the 24 pick and Dallas has the 31 pick....on the value chart 24+31=1340points.......which is the 9th pick....where d-hall was drafted.....for dallas thats in the hunt for a couple of years to compete for a title.....Corner back is a position of need for them.....Anthony Henry is 30,stay injured and is ment to be a good nickle back...and Terence Newman has been injured the last 2 years......i would add a third round pick if they would throw in Pat Watkins

I see that as a very big possibility, Dallas knows they need to work a little bit on their D and they could pick up Hall who is still young and has experience under his belt. Both 1st rounders though? I wish, but I doubt it. I would think a 1st and a 2nd, and everyone is happy.

Unless Hall's locker is next to Owens and theres no spit guard.

No reason for the Falcons to not sign Deangelo back. Him along with Houston is going to be an insane combo and our defense is playing really well. Guys have fun when they're out there and doing a good job. We have the #8 Pass defense in the NFL right now, and Deangelo is the reason for that.

D-Hall Will be trade bait, you got to dreaming if you think they will not try to get rid of him for trade value. Till his stock went so high, I would have loved us t o trade him with Cleaveland for Derek Anderson or now the mighty Quinn. Their No.1 pickless because of the deal to get Quinn and they need defensive help. You wouldn't think D-hall wouldn't want to face Chad Johnson twice a year? We need more FAs and picks then we need a high priced CB and we can get serviceable CB. Houston and Irons are going to be better next year. We have so many offensive problems and defensive problems. We can't break the bank keeping D-hall unless we franchise tag his Azz. You would hear him scream from that. ;)

He'll be a Falcon, but I personally want that trade to happen.

Honestly, Hall is a great corner. But it really don't matter when everyone else in the secondary gives up the big plays.

His presence doesn't stop us for giving up an obscene amount of big plays through the air.

Yeah, we're ranked 8th in pass defense. But look at the teams we played. Minnesota, Carolina, San Fransisco, Tennesee, and Tampa Bay. Of all those teams, only Tampa Bay has a decent passing attack (they didnt need to pass us to beat us).

So I say trade him, because he isn't making that much of a difference.

Good dialogue going on so far...

A couple of questions for the folks who feel DeAngelo will stay.

1)  Is your rationale for resigning him solely based on the fact that you think he's a good player or that you feel that signing him to such a contract represents good value?

2)  How many teams 'franchise' player and highest paid player are CB's?  How good are those teams?

As to the question of salary cap, my opinion and it's solely that...but if Dallas come thisclose to winning the SB and the thought process is that a player the calibre of DeAngelo Hall is available, Jerry Jones is the type to make something happen.  The point was brought up that why wouldn't the Cowboys simply trade up and draft a Malcolm Jenkins.  It's a good point - that is an option for them and one that I'm sure they would seriously consider.  I Malcolm Jenkins at the level of DeAngelo Hall in his rookie year though, now way.  Does he ever reach that level?  Maybe...but he'd have to develop into that type of player.  For a team where they are, they could be looking for a more immediate option and be willing to pay as such.

Good dialogue going on so far...

if Dallas come thisclose to winning the SB and the thought process is that a player the calibre of DeAngelo Hall is available, Jerry Jones is the type to make something happen.

For a team where they are, they could be looking for a more immediate option and be willing to pay as such.

Exactly what I was thinking. While they have most of what they need for a championship team, I would think they will try their best to get the talent now before their better players start to level off due to age. Waiting 4 years for a corner would not be good for the team who are SB competitors (possibly). So, if they hit the Bowl and lose to the Pats, I would think they would work on their D to bring home some more rings.

Or someone else could take him, I would love a first and a second for him.